Thread: Quorn - not even vegetarian?

Default Quorn - not even vegetarian?

Clearly Quorn isn't vegan but on another non-vegan related forum someone has suggeted that it isn't even vegetarian. They say that what it is made from is actually more fauna than flora.

Can anyone confirm this?
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Default Re: Quorn-not even vegetarian?

It's fungal. So it's like a mushroom.

Apparently it uses egg white as a growth medium, rather than a binder, so I would have thought it would have been trivial to make it vegan by using some other growth medium.
    "Danger" could be my middle name but it's "John"

Fungi have their own "kingdom" now, and are regarded as neither animal or vegetable. Anyway they don't have nervous systems so I don't feel bad about eating them.

ISTR the Quorn manufacturers claimed they were working on an egg-free version years ago, but...

Default Re: Quorn - not even vegetarian?

yes i've heard that some people consider fungi to be a grey area between plants and animals, because they have unique characteristics. i don't consider them to be animals though.

Mind you I can see some advantages to having a companion mushroom...

It is frustrating when something could so easily be made vegan. Never mind Redwood stuff is far more tasty anyway!

Quote brucie-g View Post
    It is frustrating when something could so easily be made vegan. Never mind Redwood stuff is far more tasty anyway!
    i totally agree with you!
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Quorn can shove it anyway. Frys stuff are nicer. Might cost more, but i think they are worthit occasionally. I doubt they will make anything Vegan soon at least!
    Animals don't: Smoke, Drive, Wear Make-up, Use paint, Drink Alcohol, Drop bombs. Because we do, why should they suffer?

Quote Darky_ View Post
    Quorn can shove it anyway. Frys stuff are nicer. Might cost more, but i think they are worthit occasionally. I doubt they will make anything Vegan soon at least!
    I quite agree, but sadly, purely in terms of being readily available Quorn makes Frys/Redwoods et al products seem like the search for the Holy grail.

I have only been able to get hold of Redwoods Chorizo pieces once and that was from the Vegan show. To make matters worse the gits only had one packet left.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Even if Quorn had vegan ingredients:

1) It tastes like shit!
    2) It is made by Marlow Foods, who are owned by the pharma giant Astra Zenneca....who have a headquatres in Luton.
    3) AZ use HLS for pharma and food research.

Quorn - the thorn in the vegetarians side.

Or so say our banners!!!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

^ I had no clue about the link with HLS - do they still use HLS currently?

Wow, that's really put me off buying Quorn for my sister (who I'm trying to convert to veggie-dom)
    vegan and proud.

Yes!

Don't do it!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I saw quorn "chicken" nuggets at the grocery store. I had no idea what they were, lol.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Quote harpy View Post
    Fungi have their own "kingdom" now, .
    Now? Weren't they reclassified in the 1950s or something? Fungi are waaaaaaaaaaay different from plants. (And animals, of course.)

Quorn is made from a fungus called Fusarium graminearum. Sorry - it was in my head and it's good to feel that random biological facts can be used from time to time. I had thought that they used grain as the growth medium, Pob? Either way, it's possible to do it without egg, as all the other similar products prove.

IMO though it's WRONG to eat mushrooms. They're sooooooo disgusting!!!!

Didn't know about the HLS connection either. How very ironic though!

And I'm with you on that one Cherry, mushrooms taste bleedin'awful IMHO!!!

could never stomach quorn, tasted bad and the texture was so so so wrong

Quote brucie-g View Post
    And I'm with you on that one Cherry, mushrooms taste bleedin'awful IMHO!!!
    HOW COULD YOU, mushrooms are amazing, you can fry them, grill them, boil them, roast the, use them for sauce add them to a salad......

Quote bradders View Post
    HOW COULD YOU, mushrooms are amazing, you can fry them, grill them, boil them, roast the, use them for sauce add them to a salad......
    Grill 'em, Bake 'em, Fry 'em, Eat 'em, they're waffly versatile... or something.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

or we could make a new slogan
    'they're shoomey versatile'

Might have to add "Trip 'em" if we made it shroomey...

Totally OT, sorry.

oh my

I didn't know about the HLS connection! Not that I buy quorn rubbish obviously. I was also told that quorn was originally developed by the MOD.

I heard that too bluevegan! Simply because it's high protien and cheap to make I suppose!

cobweb

it really looks like crap, horrible stuff!
    they can keep it.

Quote harpy View Post
    ISTR the Quorn manufacturers claimed they were working on an egg-free version years ago, but...
    From http://www.marketwatch.com/m/story/e...5-55fec7d6a8c5

Quorn Launches First Vegan Product

WASHINGTON, Dec. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Animal Protection Group Applauds Meatless Company's Socially Responsible Decision

Touted as the world's number one brand of vegetarian meat alternatives, Quorn, a UK-based food company specializing in best-selling meatless meals--all of which, until now, contain eggs--just introduced its first-ever all vegan product, which is now available exclusively in the U.S.

This compassionate and socially-responsible decision was made after working closely with Compassion Over Killing, a DC-based animal protection organization that reached out to Quorn about reducing its use of eggs as an important step in preventing cruelty to laying hens and to meet the increasing demand for vegan options.

"The team at Quorn Foods in cooperation with Compassion Over Killing is delighted with the results of the work to reduce egg use in our product range, " says David Wilson, Quorn's General Manager. "In addition to using 3 million fewer eggs a year, the new launch of the Quorn 'egg-free' vegan burger has been a huge success with our customers."

According to Erica Meier, Compassion Over Killing's executive director, "A growing number of people are choosing egg-free foods as a way to protect animals from needless cruelty on factory farms, and we wholeheartedly applaud Quorn for developing its first vegan product. It's a win-win for animals and consumers."

Quorn's commitment to reducing its use of eggs and offer of a new vegan patty demonstrates the company's leadership in bringing healthier and more humane food choices to the marketplace. The new Vegan Burger will soon be available in over 1,000 stores from coast to coast, including Giant, Shaw's, Stop & Shop, and Whole Foods Market.

Good news Hope it gets launched here.

leedsveg

They could have launched something like this in the UK years ago. How interesting to read that it's "now available exclusively in the U.S." I would have said that animals in the UK deserve compassion just as much as animals in the USA and anywhere else. What is wrong with these people?!

Leedsveg

Good news, but unfortunately towards the end of my vegetarianism Quorn products started giving me indigestion and (I'll be uncharacteristically coy here) an upset stomach so I shan't be running out to buy it.

On the plus side though, if this becomes popular it's all less animals being used, and another example of how veganism really isn't that restrictive
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote Risker View Post
    Might have to add "Trip 'em" if we made it shroomey...

Totally OT, sorry.
    Quote Risker View Post
    Grill 'em, Bake 'em, Fry 'em, Eat 'em, they're waffly versatile... or something.
    Oh thanks, now I've got that blooming LotR Po-Ta-Tos hiphop thing in my head.

What's Mushrooms?
    Boil'em, Mash'em, Trip'em in a Stew.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I asked them about getting the vegan product in the UK and here's the response;

Thank you for contacting us regarding the availability of Quorn products suitable for a Vegan diet. We ha’ve seen the growing demand for Vegan food and are already looking at a Vegan product offer under the Quorn brand.
    We’re looking at developing products specifically for the UK market, and we’ll be back in touch with an update soon. In the meantime check out our UK website (www.quorn.co.uk) or Facebook page for new product news.
    Thanks again for getting in touch.
    Obviously a generic email but it at least sounds a bit more positive than the old one. Not sure why they've put an apostrophe in have though.

Has anyone on the forum heard of people allergic to penicillin having an adverse reaction to Quorn products?

My dad gets extremely sick after eating Quorn. He didn't make the connection at first, but won't touch the stuff anymore.

^I'm allergic to penicillin and never had a problem eating it when I was veggie. I don't see why there would be a connection.