Thread: Travis Barker 'News' - Not helpful

Default Travis Barker 'News' - Not helpful

Hi I thought I'd share this so called news worthy item that I read on Teletext:

''Travis Barker has given up being a vegetarian, saying it is speeding up his recovery from a plane crash.

Barker, who suffered third-degree burns when his plane crashed last month, said: "I need protein from food, rather than just protein supplements. I've changed my diet - I'd do anything I possibly could to heal faster."

Barker had been a vegetarian for the past 25 years''.

It's not the fact that he's back on meat that alarmed me so much as the fact he seems to have lived off Supplements for his Protein in-take! Sack your nutritionist Travis!!!!!!
    This kind of news report once again serves only to pander to the general ignorance about a vegetarian diet!

That said I do sincerely wish him all the best in his recovery! It's just a shame that this makes 'news' - if you know what I mean!

Default Re: Travis Barker 'News' - Not helpful

Agree on all counts!

Ironically, his comments are absolutely true - he DOES need protein from food sources as opposed to just supplements - but what depth of ignorance about nutrition does it reveal in him that he believes this would equate to meat-eating? And because much of the article is true, it carries through the greater lie that "veg*ns struggle to get protein and need to take lots of expensive supplements" without Joe Public ever being prompted to question the validity of that assumption. Grrrrr.

Good quality protein from veg*n food sources would be the best choice, instead of poor quality protein - and an increased risk of cancer - from meat! But I'm preaching to the choir - sorry Katy! It's just so annoying isn't it?

Hope he recovers quickly anyway. It sounds like a really nasty accident and must have been quite shocking.

considering heather mills gave up meat, dairy, sugar etc to recover from a LIMB AMPUTATION (!), this fella's nutritionist is a quack.

According to this he started eating meat again two years ago. Either way it's disappointing
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Stu

Never heard of him.

me neither!

^ Neither have I

I honestly think anyone giving up vegetarianism for that reason would be using it as an excuse because they wanted to give it up anyway. Much like when men shave their hair off or dress up as women "for charity".
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

true.

I always put men's willies in my botty for charity.

Stu

Hahah! Genuinely made me laugh.

BlackCats

I know who he is but I didn't realise that he was vegetarian anyway. Quick let's all eat some meat so we don't all die of protein deficiency. It's so annoying.

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    According to this he started eating meat again two years ago.
    First, he's trying to strengthen his bones, which he said have grown weak due to his vegetarian diet. So, on doctor's orders, he's eating meat again
    He's just full of stupid comments isn't he.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

What an idiot.

I haven't ate meat since I was 16 so my bones must be ready for snapping any day!
    Silly man!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I am not a big fan of his and didn't realize he was a vegetarian to begin with, so this isn't as disappointing for me as it could have been. However, like most of you, I am still disgusted by the ignorance on display in those comments. I would love to have a few words with whatever doctor told him that meat was going to speed up his recovery. How grossly irresponsible.
    "I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

iirc from watching his reality tv show he was lactose intolerance too so he was to all intents and purposes following a vegan diet. I remember mainly as his wife called a chef in to cook for his birthday as she had no idea how to cook for a vegetarian, especially one that was lactose intolerant and couldn't have dairy.

Either way it sucks, twenty five years of vegetarianism is a long time to turn your back on.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

ok, i got fed up not knowing who this guy is so i looked him up on Wikipedia. for those who don't know, he was the drummer in Blink-182 (wow fame!). his Wiki entry said this about his plane crash:

"Barker stopped his vegan diet and began eating meat in order to increase his protein intake and possibly speed healing of his burns."
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Zero

Baker is yet another misinformed person, listening to a "nutritionist" who clearly doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Gorilla - Based on your post he was actually vegan?

Silly man

Quote Zero View Post
    Gorilla - Based on your post he was actually vegan?
    according to Wikipedia, i guess so.

very silly indeed - makes me wonder why he was vegan if he was willing to give it up so easily. i have plenty of sympathy for him being involved in a horrific plane crash and i hope he recovers. but i would hope if i were ever in a similar situation i wouldn't suddenly decide that my diet didn't contain enough protein to heal my body, and that the only solution was to eat meat.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Zero

Madness, a crash like that is a horrible thing for someone to go through.

I can't imagine anyone who truly understands the reasons for being vegan can go back.

If you're not vegan now, you never really were.

But if what Poison Ivy says is true he was only vegan because he was a veggie with a lactose intolerance, not on moral grounds. But I wonder why he was a veggie. I guess he may now be eating meat but still not eating dairy.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

We shouldnae be too harsh on the guy. Plenty of folk on here are on medication that's not strictly vegan on advice from their doctor. Burns are agony and wouldnae exactly like to be in the position of lying in my hospital bed being told it was my diet that was hampering my recovery, however much i disagreed with the prognosis.
    By the sound of it he wasnae exactly following the diet for ethical reasons anyway so it's no surprise he's doing what he's doing!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

^ i don't like though how it gives the image that we as vegans or even vegetarians do not get enough nutriants to be able to heal ourselves. whenever i'm around a certain group of friends they always get into the topic of raising a child vegan. people just think you can't get enough of the good stuff from our diet. he just perpetuates the situation.

i do agree with you, burns are one of the worst injury, and last for an extremely long time. and your right, it didn't seem like he was "vegan" for the ethics so it doesn't suprise me either.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Zero

Well any case, it's the media as usual trying to make money out of "failed vegetarianism" that is the biggest issue.

the media trys to make money off of everything. and guess what? we have all read the article playing into their devious plot!!! muah ah ah ha!!!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote Zero View Post
    Well any case, it's the media as usual trying to make money out of "failed vegetarianism" that is the biggest issue.
    Quote missbettie View Post
    the media trys to make money off of everything. and guess what? we have all read the article playing into their devious plot!!! muah ah ah ha!!!
    Godamn!

cobweb

very annoying indeed - i do have sympathy for anyone suffering like that but cannot imagine suddenly eating flesh again after 25 years!

almost as annoying as Paul Weller recently giving up vegetarianism after pretty much a lifetime saying he got 'sick of being hungry' WTF?

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Plenty of folk on here are on medication that's not strictly vegan on advice from their doctor. Burns are agony and wouldnae exactly like to be in the position of lying in my hospital bed being told it was my diet that was hampering my recovery, however much i disagreed with the prognosis.
    i don't see taking medication being the same as eating meat. if my doctor told me i had to eat meat to get better, i'd find another doctor. he obviously wasn't veg*n for ethical reasons, unfortunately.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i don't see taking medication being the same as eating meat. if my doctor told me i had to eat meat to get better, i'd find another doctor. he obviously wasn't veg*n for ethical reasons, unfortunately.
    Neither do I but, however misguided,TB obviously does, and sees it as part of his healing process under advice from a 'professional'!
    I'd blame the doctors here!

Quote KatyB View Post
    Hi I thought I'd share this so called news worthy item that I read on Teletext:

''Travis Barker has given up being a vegetarian, saying it is speeding up his recovery from a plane crash.

Barker, who suffered third-degree burns when his plane crashed last month, said: "I need protein from food, rather than just protein supplements. I've changed my diet - I'd do anything I possibly could to heal faster."

Barker had been a vegetarian for the past 25 years''.

According to an article from earlier this month, he is now living on a vegan diet (most of the time):

Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker: I switched to a vegan diet after cancer scare
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.