Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 100+ reasons to go vegan

Default 100+ reasons to go vegan

1) Since I don't think others have the right to harm me or decide if I shall live or not, I don't think that I have the right to harm others or make decisions about when they shall die.

Please continue...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

PinkFluffyCloud

2) Since murdering animals is totally pointless, not to mention barbaric, and plants are so very nutritious!

3) so you can help make the world a better place.

PinkFluffyCloud

4) Since it only takes 1,150 litres of water to feed a Vegan, compared with 15,000 litres to feed a Meat-eater.

4) non-human animals were not placed here on this earth to serve us, no living creature should be exploited.

5) Breast cancer can be lowered. The Cancer Project
    6) Lower rate of coronary disease. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
    7) Reduction of stress on the environment. Earth Save (Think About it section)

8) Don't have to worry about cross-contamination when preparing food
    9) No problem getting enough fiber in one's diet
    10) I can look at my cat without any guilt

PinkFluffyCloud

11) You get to join Vegan Forum!!!!

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    4) Since it only takes 1,150 litres of water to feed a Vegan, compared with 15,000 litres to feed a Meat-eater.
    It's great that everybody is posting short posts - but maybe it's still a good idea to list a source when referring to numbers/facts?

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote Korn
    It's great that everybody is posting short posts - but maybe it's still a good idea to list a source when referring to numbers/facts?
    Sorry, Korn, that was from the 'Vegan' magazine, the Vegan Society's latest members magazine.

12) Being a vegan is liberating!

13) It can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Quote Korn
    Sorry about that.
    I updated with links.

Thanks, MzNatural & PFC! Listing sources always makes it easier for non-vegan visitors to trust that we're not totally out of touch with reality

14) Cleaning up the dishes is a snap if you follow a low-fat vegetable based vegan diet. You don't even need to scrub, just a quick rinse usually does the trick.

15) because you're cutting down on the damage it does to the environment.

16)Because you know you couldn't kill it yourself.
    17)And soymilk is soooooo good.

18) Because my shower drain hasn't clogged once since I switched to veggie-based soap!

Oh yeah...
    19)Because it makes you smell better!

20) And because I don't wish to support the killing industry.
    Eve

tails4wagging

21. veganism gives me a clear conscience.
    22. food tastes 100 times better.

PinkFluffyCloud

23) You get to meet loads of interesting people!

PinkFluffyCloud

24) You know where your food came from!

25) u are pretty much forced to learn how to cook better and its great fun to chef it up and prepare colorful veggie meals! my cooking is amazing now. (its alot more fun to create meals being vegan and experimenting, than slapping a chicken breast on a plate)

26)because u learn so much more about the environment when being vegan, and u can make better choices for the earth and its creatures!

27) u dont have to deal with bloody animal corpse

28) your health is so much better when being vegan!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

29) You taste better.

You can say, "Satan, I rebuke you," with authority!

31) You can eat cookie dough without worrying about salmonella!

32) Unlike in SAD, french fries/chips are not considered a vegetable and ketchup/catsup isn't either

33) You don't feel droopy because you're body is laden with disease-ridden animal corpses.

34. As a vegan you are TRUE non-violence supporter

35. You will not have to face the dilemma of loving the animals and eating them at the same time! You only have to LOVE them.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

36. We are not injesting a slew of antibiotics with every bite, since more than 90 percent of all antibiotics produced are slated for animal admistration. (The Pleasure Trap, by Dr. Lisle, page 128)
    :p Gwynneveg

37. Becaue this is me and this is what i suport and i am proud to say i am a tree - animal hugging hippie

38. I couldnt eat people and what gives me the right to eat something that has equal feelings but just dosent have a "voice"

39. I couldnt stand there watching a beautiful creature die and lie with the guilt that i could have saved its life - i could have given it a "human voice"

40. Meat isnt meat when you have a compasinate heart for animals great and small

If i cant kill it i WONT eat it, If i cant look into its eyes and hurt it, I wont take from it.

41. If I couldn't kill something myself (which I couldn't kill any animal intentionally) then I shouldn't eat it.

Quote feline01
    41. If I couldn't kill something myself (which I couldn't kill any animal intentionally) then I shouldn't eat it.
    i sooooo agree 200% thats wht i tell people when they ask why i am vege (not many know im vegan yet but when i was vege)
    If i cant kill it i WONT eat it, If i cant look into its eyes and hurt it, I wont take from it.

42.Because why would they feel pain and sadness if we were supposed to eat them
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

Default Arguments from The Health Revolution, by John Robbins

Hunger
    • Livestock pasture cuts drastically into croplands.
    • Meat-producing livestock consume vast quantities of crops that could feed people.
    • 100,000,000 people could grow enough to eat on the land spared if Americans reduced their meat consumption by 10%.
    • People eat 20% of U.S.-grown corn, while animals consume the remaining 80% and 95% U.S.-grown oats.
    • 1 acre of land can produce 40,000 pounds of potatoes, or 250 pounds of beef. 56% of U.S. farmland is devoted to beef production.

The Environment
    • Producing a meat-centered diet requires burning 3 times more fossil fuels than for a meat-free diet. The burning of fossil fuels results in the greenhouse effects, which produced global warming.
    • Producing the meat-centered diet resulted in clearing 260,000,000 acres of U.S. forestland, extinguishing over 1,000 species of flora and fauna each year.
    • To meet the high demand of American consumption, Central and South America export 300,000,000 pounds of meat each year. These regions’ forests are cut down to make pasture land, draining resources while 75% of Central and Southern American children under the age of 5 starve.

Resource Management
    • Livestock production consumes more than ½ of all water used in the U.S.
      25 gallons water = 1 pound wheat
      5,000 gallons water = 1 pound beef
      5,000 gallons water = 200 pounds wheat
    • The amount of water used in production of the average cow is sufficient to float a a large naval ship.
    • If every human ate a meat-centered diet, the world's known oil reserves would last a mere 13 years. They would last 260 years if humans stopped eating meat altogether.
    • 33% of all raw materials (base products of farming, forestry and mining, including fossil fuels) consumed by the U.S. are devoted to the production of livestock, as compared with 2% to produce a complete vegetarian diet.

Your Health
    • Meat-eating women are 3.8 times more likely to contract breast cancer than vegans or vegetarians.
    • Meat-eating women are 3 times more likely to die from ovarian cancer than vegans or vegetarians.
    • Men who eat meat are 3.6 times more likely to contract fatal prostate cancer.
    • Heart attacks are the #1 killer in the U.S., taking one person every 45 seconds. Men who eat meat are at 50% risk of death by heart attack.
    • To control staph infections and other diseases, livestock consume 55% of all antibiotics used in the U.S. As do humans, livestock build up immunities to these antibiotics, and the meat goes to market infected, presenting a health hazard to the public.
    • Less than one out of every 250,000 slaughtered animals is tested for toxic chemical residues.
      99% of U.S. mother's milk contains significant levels of DDT. In stark contrast, only 8% of U.S. vegetarian mother's milk containing significant levels of DDT. This shows that the primary source of DDT is the meat ingested by the mothers.
      Contamination of breast milk due to chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides in animal products found in meat-eating mothers versus vegetarian mothers is 35 times higher.
      The amount of the pesticide Dieldrin ingested by the average breast-fed American infant is 9 times the permissible level.

Ethics Warning, these links are graphic.
    http://www.freetheanimals.homestead.com/photos.html
    http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/animals.html
    http://www.animalsvoice.com/PAGES/archive.html
    Our character is an omen of our destiny, and the more integrity we have and keep, the simpler and nobler that destiny is likely to be. ~ George Santayana

43. It's far sexier, who wants to kiss the remains of living flash in someones mouth.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

44) It's speciesist to torture animals.
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

45) Because you have opposable thumbs plus the ability to create and invent and no need to rend living beings apart for food--you are evolved and do not live in the ice age

(46) Because, animals have beautiful, loving eyes!

Default Number 47

47.) Because meat-eating is only second to automobiles in environmental destruction. (Saw in a VeganSource packet they mailed to me, can't find it on the internet).
    Think occasionally of the suffering in which you spare yourself the sight. -Albert Schweitzer

48. because commerce is no excuse for murder.
    From Protest To Resistance.

because you can eat sweets and desserts without damaging your health

and

you can see the animals thanking you

Default Re: 50 (or more) reasons to go vegan

Because veganism helps to reduce the risk of viruses (etc) spreading from animals to humans. It also reduces the potential of epidemics occurring in animal populations (the 2001 Foot and Mouth epidemic in the UK is one such example). The intensive rearing of animals for human exploitation has often enabled potentially dangerous micro-organisms to jump the species barrier. Recent examples include sars, influenza and mad cow disease. There is also a theory that AIDS was spread from primates to animals by using primate derivatives in polio vaccines back in the 1950's but the jury is still out on that one.

49. Because vegetables come in really fun colors.

Robin

50. Because It allows you to make a difference in the world. By going Vegan you will save the lives of 5 cows, 20 pigs, 29 sheep, 760 chickens, 46 turkeys, 15 ducks, 7 rabbits and half a ton of fish. Viva

katie

51.) Because you can still eat bangers, mash and gravy with chips on the side! what else do you need??

Because it's my form of self expression
    She died the way she lived; ugly.

sugarmouse

54)because i can look any species in the eye, and no i have aclear conscience toward any living thing now

55)because i have respect that i am not better than anyone else, no matter what they are (or who they are)

56)the crude way, i do not think it is in anny way natural to drink another animals babyfood!it is not a food product!

57)i know i am quoting someoen here but i truly beleive, animals have always been my friends.and i do not eat my friends.

58) Because some of the best friends you'll even make are animals
    59) Because taking away an animals life to devour its flesh is f*cked
    "You'd better take care of me lord, otherwise you're gonna have me on your hands" - Hunter S. Thompson

60. because humans arent suposed to eat meat, we are the only species that has to cook meat before we eat it in order to not get sick