Thread: Getting hold of fresh yeast

Default Getting hold of fresh yeast

Hi guys, I have a recipe that calls for fresh yeast, however I can't find it anywhere...not even the organic health food shop can order it in for me

Any suggestions..

Default Re: Getting hold of fresh yeast

My supermarket sells it in the refridgerated section; it's ridiculously cheap (like 18 cents for 50g). But I'm in Italy; I'd gladly send you some but it might go off in transit...

I used to buy it in an health food shop, till I found that morrisons sell it (in the same section as milk/yoghurts I believe) for a quarter of the price. Not seen it in other supermarkets.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Morrisons sell it? Looks like i'll be driving over there then. Used to have a morrisons opposite my house, that would have been very handy.

You could try going to a bakers and seeing if they sell it - I'm pretty sure our local one used to, years back.

To be honest, I'd just reanimate some dried yeast (I'm sure there are quantity conversions on the back of most packets or I could probably find instructions on the web). I know there are different strains of yeast, but it all does approximately the same thing at the end of the day.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

go to a bakers, and ask for some.

they'll give it you for nowt.

I did once pay a baker for some (no freebies), but morrisons is easier if you have one

Please guys support your local shops and don't get it at Morrisons - that's like going to butchers for it. What happens when Morrisons abandons fresh yeast 'cause so few know what to do with it & all the little guys have gone because you stopped shopping there. Indeed, your little "health food" (hate the term!) shop is more likely to be run by veg*ns or at least people well disposed towards catering for that market and with great product knowledge. Many little bakeries use fresh yeast (I mean real bakeries not "bake off" sheds like Greggs et al)... if you ask politely they will sell you some for a few pence and probably throw in a few recipes and a bit of advice for free. Which Morrisons branch could you get that in?

As honourable as that is, it isn't a practical option for those of us who work during the hours that high street shops are commonly open, too far from them to go during breaks.

Bet there's a few use that argument re: veganism ;-) Seriously though, I work long hours too (only one day off -sunday - each week) and I never set foot in any of these corporate palaces of doom. Lots of small places have on line shopping & delivery services. Be honest, how far have you investigated it? Next time you're about to log onto a supermarket order and delivery service, see what else is available locally... you might be surprised.... then support it so it can stay there... Unless that is, one considers it desirable to live in a country where we can only shop at a few transnationals.

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    Lots of small places have on line shopping & delivery services. Be honest, how far have you investigated it?
    Until recently when I was cohabiting we had a weekly delivery from a local cooperative of organic fruit/veg for a period of about 1.5 years. We had serious issues with them leaving the delivery safely (for several months despite being told not to several times they were leaving it in the carpark at the back of our house with a note attached that had our gate's security code printed on it!).

I've used several online/mail order companies in the past for food, but intensely dislike the waste of packaging involved with shipping cold/frozen goods.

I don't use supermarket delivery services, due to problems of swapping out of stock vegan goods for non vegan ones.

Buddha Belly

I know this is way off the main topic, but in reply to previous

We had one in Herts that decided that they were going to just stop trading. They started a special offer with our local Veggie/vegan group then moved to Devon without telling anyone that they were going to do so.

The only other one near us is River Nene which is selling meat and can soon be described as a large regional concern.

Idea for new thread. When does a local shop become too big?