Thread: Action in Lunch Programs!

Exclamation Action in Lunch Programs!

Here’s the deal: The Child Nutrition Act is being reauthorized. This act encompasses the lunch programs at our schools. The USDA is requesting OUR comments and inputs to be put into consideration for this legislative reform! They will be accepting comments until October 15th, 2008. Usually, that means that our comments are due by midnight. We only have tonight to act.

Given this opportunity, it is our responsibility to speak up.

Follow the first link mentioned in the email below to submit your comments, and forward to anyone who you think would be interested in this matter, anyone who cares about our kids, their education, etc.

Okay, so I received this urgent email a few days ago:

Do you know that many vegetarian children cannot get lunch at school? At a time
    when American children need more vegetarian meals, the National School Lunch
    Program does not include any provision for plant-based foods. In order to change
    that, the U.S. Department of Agriculture needs to hear from you today.
    The Child Nutrition Act includes legislation for the National School Lunch
    Program, which provides federal assistance for school lunches. This act is being
    reauthorized in 2009, and the USDA would like your input on what needs to
    change. Submit your recommendations for improving vegetarian options by fax at
    703-305-2879, or online
    http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=09000064805f47dd. They are
    accepting comments until October 15, 2008. Let me offer below a few comments you
    may wish to consider.
    PCRM asks the USDA to Improve Vegetarian Options in Schools[/SIZE]
    Many children do not consume animal products due to ethical, cultural, and
    religious practices, as well as food allergies and intolerances. An increasing
    number of students cannot take full advantage of federal nutrition programs,
    including the National School Lunch Program, because plant-based options are not
    always available. PCRM is asking the USDA to include these items when the Child[/SIZE]
    Nutrition Act is reauthorized next year.

*Nondairy beverage alternatives should be available and reimbursable without a
    note wherever cow's milk is provided. Offering all students a nutritious
    nondairy beverage will reduce saturated fat consumption and increase overall
    program participation. The USDA should appropriately increase reimbursement for
    nondairy alternatives so that providing these options will not be more costly to
    schools.

*Plant-based meal options should be available every day, as trailblazing
    states such as California, Florida, Hawaii, and New York have already required.
    Whether a student consumes a vegetarian diet or chooses an occasional vegetarian meal, experts agree that plant-based foods are healthy choices for all children.

*Plant-based commodity foods should be readily available to schools. The USDA
    should provide schools with more fresh fruits and vegetables and plant-based
    entrées to help meet the demand for these healthful foods. The USDA and
    Congress should shift federal subsidies so that they support child health rather
    than agricultural interests.

PCRM joins the American Medical Association and the American Public Health
    Association in asking the USDA to provide healthful vegetarian foods including
    vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains, and nutritious nondairy beverages in
    schools. Increasing access to low-fat, cholesterol-free vegetarian foods will
    help mitigate the rising prevalence of obesity and other chronic diseases.
    Thank you for taking action on this important issue. If you have any questions,
    please contact Kathryn Strong, PCRM nutrition coordinator, at kstrong@pcrm.org.
    Best regards,
    sig_dr_barnardhttp://support.pcrm.org/images/conte...lder/10429.jpg

Neal Barnard, M.D.
    PCRM President

You probably do agree that the menus right now are not healthy enough and need more options for those who cannot take full advantage of the lunch program. This will affect anyone that attends public schools in the United States: like our younger siblings or relatives, etc.

I can tell you that this affects me personally, as well; I am a vegan and usually I bring my own lunch or go home for lunch if I have classes at OKCCC. However, sometimes I have to stay at school or I was too busy to make a lunch, or woke up late, etc. It's pretty frustrating that the only option for me is usually greasy french fries. (They closed the salad bar at my school; we now only have wrapped plates of premade salad with chicken and cheese on top of it. ) Vegetable sides or things of that nature are available for individual purchase but the servings are inadequate in quantity and quality, and it costs more to buy individual servings… getting a meal and replacing the animal products part with an extra side of veggies costs more.

This is not just about providing more options; it is about the overall health of our nation’s kids. There has been and there continue to be releases of research that confirm the correlation between our diets and cancer, as I am sure you all know. “Compared to 1997, when AICR released its first global report on the association between diet and cancer, the new assessment finds the evidence linking red meat (beef, pork and lamb) to colorectal cancer is more convincing than it was a decade ago. Accordingly, AICR’s (The American Institute for Cancer Research) expert panel recommends limiting consumption of red meat to 18 ounces (cooked) per week. Beyond this amount, the evidence indicates, every 1.7 ounces of red meat consumed per day increases cancer risk by 15 percent.” [http://www.aicr.org/site/News2?abbr=pr_&page=NewsArticle&id=12898]

Again, USDA is accepting comments until midnight today! Please let them know that we need healthier lunches and that we must consider more options for vegetarians/vegans, and diabetic/lactose-intolerant students (AND teachers!), etc.

Submitting a comment is really easy; just tell them how you feel about our lunch programs and what needs to be changed. You could just copy and paste some of the information I gave you in this email. =P I know I said a lot, but I want to provide you with enough resources to inform you and get you started. Be creative with your comments and let your voice be heard. =)

By the way, when you’re on the site to submit your opinion, for the government agency type, put FEDERAL, and for the government agency, put DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE.

PS: Please forward this email ASAP to anyone you think would be interested in promoting healthier options in our lunches at school!

Default Re: Action in Lunch Programs!

i'm interested in this...what happened? i can't believe there is no mandatory provision for a vegetarian meal...

Well, I don't know what happened yet.
    But now the deadline for comment submission has passed, and I hope a lot of us spoke out about it. I sent it to my group if veggie buddies (they all live scattered across the US, haha) and told them to forward to their other veg. friends. And I also convinced my AP government teacher to offer it as extra credit if students submitted comments, since it is a part of the democratic process That made a lot of people submit comments. And everyone, even nonvegetarians, know that the meal choices are very unhealthy at our schools.

Of course my lunch that I make is always yummy, but I know that a lot of people would be more open to vegetarianism if they were exposed to it! =)

my stupid computer. i just realised it has set its date to november, so half asleep last night i thought this all happened a month ago....i need to get some early nights!

vegan nurse

In the public schools in West Virginia they consider ketsup a vegetable!!!