Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do we have in common?

Default Re: What do we have in common?

haha, the headline is misleading because what the article is actually saying is that the brain requires additional glucose intake after thinking, and as long as you eat the right foods you can replace the energy required without 'getting fat'. but that wouldn't make people read the article i guess
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Well, back when I used to live in Guatemala I was about 4 or 5, and all the neighbors around my age were boys...evil boys. Once I remember that there was this grasshopper just sitting on a wall belonging to a store next to my house, and I was looking at it and just contemplating it, and all of a sudden they noticed that I was looking up there so they all came and started trying to catch it to kill it, and they even took off their SHOES trying to smack it, and I was sooo upset I was screaming and trying to stop them, and when they just pushed me away I remember just crying and realizing how evil people were... The grasshopper hadn't done anything to them and they wanted to kill it just because they felt like it.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

Growing up we had 2 dogs and I was always an animal lover. My parents had to ban me watching lassie at one stage as I used to be heartbroken watching it!! Likewise, my mum reclals that as soon as I could speak I was asking aobut eggs and whether they were chickens babies we were eating? She was not suprised to see my meat intake reduce over the years and me get picky with meat and eventually become veggie at age 15. I stopped eating eggs soon after but didn't become vegan until 15 years later purely because I have over the years learned to aovid all literature concerned with animal cruelty (what I don't know doesn't hurt me) and had only started really thinking aobut some issues that eventually led to me becoming vegan, after having a baby and breast feeding him for 12 months.

My brother, on the other hand would often pick up our dog by the ears ( ) and never showed much interest in nature/animals and is a big meat eater now. My husband never had pets growing up, is scared of dogs, would happily kill insects to remove them from the house if I wasn't in, considers himself a big meat eater (but actually eats vegan at home). My dad always watched nature programmes and is a big animal lover, but unfortunately also a big animal eater!?! My mum has always been very indifferent towards meat but when I talk aobut my reasons for being vegan says she has no real understanding of why one would want to avoid all dairy and has no interest really in reducing animal cruelty as far as diet is concerned (really doesn't affect her) but I'd dare to suggest that she'd be pretty upset if she saw a domestic pet being mistreated

So, my long winded response to the original question is that I do believe, for whatever reasons, that I was more aware of issues of animal cruelty etc from an early age, which makes veganism so 'normal' to me now, whereas others, including my brother and husband, have never really been 'affected' or 'concerned' by animal cruelty and changing their diet (never mind any other aspects to their lifestyle) is the last thing on their minds, especially since they really enjoy the taste of meat/dairy.

I am however also the kind of person to see/look for the good in people and and i guess my work reflects this aswell, although an article of animal abuse (and dealing with animal abuse through my job) is more likely to affect me than articles of child abuse (although less so now I'm a mum), which I hate to admit tbh....

This thread is awesome...just this morning we had a big rain. I walked out to the car and saw a bunch of worms in the parking lot. I actually made note of where the worms were on the ground and drove my car around as many as I could.

I tend to like animals more than humans most of the time.

Spanish_Vegan

I've always been around animals at home. I had two dogs and a turtle when I was little and I cried a lot when my dogs died. My family are also "animal lovers", but they eat them because they don't want to change their habits.
    I've always been happier around puppies or kittens than around babies, I don't know why, it's just the way I feel. But I didn't become vegan only for my love of animals, but for a sense of justice. It is unfair what we are doing to other species and I don't want to be part of it, as simple as that. I try to avoid others suffering as much as possible, and there's no better way than being a vegan.

cobweb

Quote Spanish_Vegan View Post
    I've always been around animals at home. I had two dogs and a turtle when I was little and I cried a lot when my dogs died. My family are also "animal lovers", but they eat them because they don't want to change their habits.
    I've always been happier around puppies or kittens than around babies, I don't know why, it's just the way I feel. But I didn't become vegan only for my love of animals, but for a sense of justice. It is unfair what we are doing to other species and I don't want to be part of it, as simple as that. I try to avoid others suffering as much as possible, and there's no better way than being a vegan.

That mirrors my views exactly

Quote puffin View Post
    I was brought up with animals, we always had a cat, dog, bird, or fish. My dad used to work in a glass factory and he made this giant tank and i used to spend ages looking at the fish. (it once leaked but that is a different story).
    So yes i guess i have always loved animals.
    I have a friend whos son stamps on snails because they eat his veggie patch i would go mental if my son tried to do anything like that. When i was around hers in the summer i showed her other son the bees around the lavender and one landed on the floor and he said "stamp stamp" i quickly dragged him away before he stuck his foot on the poor thing. So not all children have a caring nature towards animals.
    My dad did things similar to this, like with burning up ants and such, but as he grew older grew an appreciation for the natural world and now when there's a spider or other animal tries to either leave alone or to move outside. I think he started changing around teenage years.

Myself I've always been very sensitive to such suffering, and recall stopping a girl scout from stomping on a grass hopper the day we were learning about reading music notes. I seem to connect with many invertebrates and dogs.

leedsveg

What do we have in common?

The fact that we each call ourselves 'vegan'.

Of course what we mean by 'vegan', seems to have a very diverse interpretation.

Just because we want to have things in common, presumably to feel some kind of solidarity, does not I'm afraid, make it so.

Sorry to be a party-pooper.

leedsveg

cobweb

Quote leedsveg View Post
    What do we have in common?

The fact that we each call ourselves 'vegan'.

Of course what we mean by 'vegan', seems to have a very diverse interpretation.

Just because we want to have things in common, presumably to feel some kind of solidarity, does not I'm afraid, make it so.

Sorry to be a party-pooper.

leedsveg

i have to agree

BlackCats

I think we do seem to share a more compassionate side to our personalities. I have met quite a few vegans from the forum and in general they are a really kind group of people. I was saying to another VF'er the other day that I genuinely like the majority of the people I have met (and that is quite unusual for me!)

puca

I used to love animals when I was younger and bonded better with our companion non human animals than with human animals. I still do love animals mind... In fact, sometimes prefer non human company to human company when I can get it.

I think I became vegan before I really became in to the whole culture of peace and animal rights. I think veganism has made me more gentle and sensitive too.

My Mum was never allowed to live with non human animals, so she allowed it with my brother and I... Hence we shared our youth with rodents, reptiles, canines, a wonderful feline and stick insects! I don't know if I would keep a caged animal again, mind.

I don't really know many people off VF, just two personally (and hope to get to know more). Most vegans I know tend to be very gentle and compassionate people, intelligent and open minded. I have only met a couple of 'pushy'/militant vegans.