Thread: Binge foods?

Default Binge foods?

Hello, I'm new.
    Forgive me if there is a thread similar to this, but do you all have any foods that you can't seem to get enough of? Like eating tons in one sitting?
    Hopefully, it's not a problem; you can control yourself for the most part, but everyone overeats and loses control sometimes! Luckily, I'm at a healthy weight and I exercise daily, so I don't feel too awful splurging every now and then (except when my tummy starts aching... heh).

BTW, this isn't meant to be an eating disorder thread. If you're a compulsive overeater, get help.

Cereal
    With rice milk and sprinkled with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Favorites include Puffins (Barbara's Bakery) and Post Grape-Nuts.

Peanut Butter
    Yes, I'm one of those people that can eat PB right out of the jar! High in calories and fat, I try to limit, but I can sometimes consume half the jar in one sitting!!!! I also love apples and banana with PB. Hey, at least it's the "healthy" fat.

Hummus
    Same with the PB.

Pita Bread
    With hummus or dipped in olive oil, I sometimes can have like 3 big whole rounds in one sitting!

Crackers/Chips
    The Multi/whole grain kind. Sun Chips (Original) are so good! You just keep munching and munching until half (or more) of the bag is gone!

Default Re: Binge Foods?

Cereal is mine. I simply can not buy it anymore because I can't stop eating it once the box is open. Doesn't matter what kind it is! Now I can only buy oatmeal for breakfast
    Chips are a close second. tortilla kinds or terra chips. Can't buy them unless it's a little bag. I like them with guac or really hot salsa.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Bread, bread, bread, bread, it has to be banned from the house.
    Silent but deadly :p

cobweb

Cheezly, although i'm not so bad with that now

Cakes - they are a big one for me, i have a load of little cakes in the kitchen now, way too easy to scoff.

Quote DreamIntoAction View Post
    Hello, I'm new.
    Forgive me if there is a thread similar to this, but do you all have any foods that you can't seem to get enough of? Like eating tons in one sitting?
    Hopefully, it's not a problem; you can control yourself for the most part, but everyone overeats and loses control sometimes! Luckily, I'm at a healthy weight and I exercise daily, so I feel justified in splurging every now and then.

This isn't meant to be an eating disorder thread.

Cereal
    With rice milk and sprinkled with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Favorites include Puffins (Barbara's Bakery) and Post Grape-Nuts.
    Grape Nuts? Oh yes. Gimme, gimme.
    vegan and proud.

Pretty much any kind of nut but especially salted pistachios.

Salted peanuts.

Peanut butter. I was delighted to find 1Kg tubs of PB in Planet Organic. Even better is the fact that it's 100% organic peanut squeezings. It says "Use within 3 months of opening." I doubt it'll last 3 weeks.

Strawberries.

Cereal. Once the box is open, I won't eat anything else until the box is gone. I'm like a junkie. *sigh* I can only buy small boxes of low-cal cereal now and hide it on the top shelf so I have to climb to reach it (lol!). soy jerky, apple chips(the unhealthy fried potato chip kind... *sigh*) TOFU! Any well prepaired tofu dish-- I can't stop myself from over eating it! Anything thai has to be bought in single serve amounts, or i'll end up eating nothing but thai all day.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

Peanut Butter
    Yes, I'm one of those people that can eat PB right out of the jar! High in calories and fat, I try to limit, but I can sometimes consume half the jar in one sitting!!!! I also love apples and banana with PB. Hey, at least it's the "healthy" fat.
    i looooove peanut butter, and almond butter. i make mine homemade in the vita-mix and i literally had to cut myself off from making any more almond butter after i ate a whole tub i had made in less than a week! i know its healthy but..tell that to my thighs!!

and yes, apples and peanut butter are one of my all time favorite foods!! i eat one every day at work for lunch...mmm, now i want one!

and pita chips, they are so delish. i like to have them with baba ghannouj, but i am fine just eating them plain. i can easily do a whole bag in a weekend. **sigh**
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Quote Animosity View Post
    Cereal. Once the box is open, I won't eat anything else until the box is gone. I'm like a junkie. *sigh* I can only buy small boxes of low-cal cereal now and hide it on the top shelf so I have to climb to reach it (lol!). soy jerky, apple chips(the unhealthy fried potato chip kind... *sigh*) TOFU! Any well prepaired tofu dish-- I can't stop myself from over eating it! Anything thai has to be bought in single serve amounts, or i'll end up eating nothing but thai all day.
    I'm glad I'm not along on the cereal thing. I thought I was just weird.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

sugarmouse

I tend to not have 'binge foods' within my reach as I used to be mega eating disordered.
    But having said that I can eat 3 bags of salad in one sitting and a whole panof my home made soup!
    When I was a compulsive over eater, ti was cereal or bread.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I'm glad I'm not along on the cereal thing. I thought I was just weird.
    Me too!
    Everyone else I knew would go wild on the chocolate/candy bars and ice cream, but it was always cereal and bread for me!

Yeah, it's sometimes best to keep these foods out of the house.... or try to buy really small portions so you don't go crazy. While it seems most of the foods we've listed are more or less healthy (we're all vegan here, so no cholesterol; hopefully little or no trans fats), they can still pack on the pounds because some are high in calories.

Crisps (potato chips) and ice cream / cherry sorbet are my main ones. Also if I make a big pot of some savoury stew or curry I sometimes have 'just one more spoonful' from the pan - and then another and another til I feel sick
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Pistachios (my main one right now)
    hummus (either on crackers or pita bread)
    guacamole (I try not to make this often bc I can't help myself!)
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Bread, bread, bread, bread
    Me to

corn chips...sprinkled with nutritional yeast and hot sauce...i will eat the whole bag...and to think...i used to not like nutritional yeast.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

+1 for sorbet. And cherries. I can eat a big bag of cherries easily. And at the moment I'm eating a lot of smoozes. I think it's the texture as much as anything, plus I can kid myself I'm getting some of my five a day
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Frozen grapes
    peanut butter
    breads
    crackers
    chips
    hummus
    fries
    cookies
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Onions, garlic, tomatoes, pasta, chocolate!! swedish glace vanilla ice cream with mint choc sauce, linda mc cartney country pies, potato salad, hummus with carrots, chips!!

That's my little list....I'm getting hungry typing it lol. Actually I have linda mc cartney pies in the oven right now!

- potato chips
    - mint dark chocolate (or with nuts).
    - french fries
    - cherries
    - salted peanuts
    - cookies
    - ice cream (especially those Tofutti 'sandwiches'!!)
    - hummus
    - olives
    - bread
    - pasta
    - anything deep fried like mushrooms or zucchini
    - soy whip cream.. with mashed banana and chocolate powder
    - guacamole with tortilla chips
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

ooohhhh, toast. so warm, and dense and comforting
    vegan and proud.

Cake. I have to restict the amount I make otherwise I'd eat it at every meal - and between meals.

mine are hummus, dates, figs, stuffed grape leaves, sun-dried tomatoes, and barbecue potato chips. mmmmmm

Pearl

Mine is plain soya yoghurt with jam in.

mango woman

Ugh,

mine are

cashews
    chestnuts [I'm in Japan now.. so unfortunately preshelled packaged 'kuri' are available and I just can't resist them. Ugh!]

Fruit of any kind..

Dried fruit is even worse than fresh

And actually any nut. Nuts are thine enemy. I wish I could eat a normal amount but I've tried so many times just to fail.

once I am in a country where I can find vegan bread and cereal and ice cream it's really dangerous for me to go to those parts of the store alone. It's like i have to have a babysitter there to make sure I don't buy something I shouldn't! Ridiculous isn't it?!

Dates
    Biscuits
    Tyrells parsnip, beetroot and carrot crisps. (ooohh mmyyy god (shudders in pleasure))
    'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Peanut butter ( I end up eating it on everything, then it makes me sick, but I love love love it).
    Cookie dough ice cream (bad, bad, bad)
    Corn chips and salsa (have to get extra hot salsa on purpose so I won't eat half the bag)
    Pop corn (I'm not even going there).
    Veggie Booty, basically any salty snack except pretzels because they are boring. I try really hard at the grocery store to not buy salty snacks or ice cream, other wise they end up my dinner unintentionally.
    I could keep eating steamed kale and spinach for ever (at least its healthy).

OMG yesterday i made enough pasta and sauce for 2 meals, and i ate BOTH even though it was hurting so bad i kept eating!!!!!!!!!! (
    'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

As so many other here: ....NUTS! Of any kind! Peanutbutter and almonds don't live long in my house! I made PB two days ago and the jar is now half-empty... I have had probably most of that today. Even though I'm not hungry, I tend to eat them anyway...

Other stuff is:
    - Dates
    - Oatmeal
    - Bananas
    - Chocolate (uuugh)
    - Hummus
    - Bell peppers (though I don't feel bad about that xD)

Luckily, I never was much of a bread person... Was IP for a year and we had yucky stale bread every day, three times a day... Made me hate bread for ever!!!
    Why kill when you have the choice to avoid it?

Dates
    Biscuits - ginger nuts spread with peanut butter...yum
    Toast - hot, "buttered" with marmite or jam
    Pitta, hummus, chilli sauce, olives
    Hummous spread onto Scottish oatcakes/Ryvita

Jammie Dodgers and Choccie Dodgers.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

- Tortilla chips...either loaded with refried beans, salsa, daiya cheese, jalapenos and guacomole or just on their own with salsa.
    - Avocados. I add them to anything possible and sometimes have them on top of chips with some hot sauce on top. Or sliced up with hot sauce on top.
    - Smoothies. Green or not. I couldn't stop drinking peanut butter banana smoothies earlier this week. Make them with frozen bananas and it's like a peanut butter banana milkshake.
    - Kettle baked salt and vinegar chips.
    - Chickpeas. Fry them up in olive oil with nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder, chili powder and then smother them in bbq sauce or ketchup.
    - So delicious mini vanilla ice cream sandwiches.
    - So delicious ice cream...cookie dough or mint chip flavour.

hedgehoglovely

Biscuits
    Fruit (fresh and dried)
    Chocolate spread
    Cereal
    Baked goods in general

Cookies/biscuits are my vice....especially shortbread with jam in it or white chocolate macadamia or even just those plain digestive ones!
    I also can eat like 5 mangoes in one sitting, kilos of fresh (or frozen) cherries in one sitting, mint chocolate, macadamia nuts.... And if there is any chocolate cake around forget it!

Medjool dates.
    Cherries.
    Tortilla chips.
    Hummus and pitta bread with olive oil.

I'm usually quite good though!

Peanut Butter
    Peanut butter is my serious problem lol. I LOVE it!!!!! I also eat it with apples and bananas, or make a grilled peanut butter sandwich.
    Tanya

Quote BellaTanie View Post
    grilled peanut butter sandwich.
    Now that I haven't tried, it sounds great!
    Houmous atá ann!

Vb

Any carb! So annoying, but have to make tiny amounts of bread/brown rice/quinoa or I'll munch the lot... Luckily husband and children come in useful!

baked chickpeas!!! I toss them in oil and spices and bake them until they are crispy... YUM. I've also discovered just throwing them in with pasta...i've never done it before but in an effort to get more protein i tried it and oh my goodness kill me now. perfect combo.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Default Re: Binge foods?

For me it's dal with rice, I've eaten over 2000kcal of that in one sitting before >_> Or deep fried Indian snacks like pakoras and samosas...

Quote Lentils View Post
    For me it's dal with rice, I've eaten over 2000kcal of that in one sitting before >_>
    Give me your magic dahl recipe! I love lentils but never seem to get the spicing right on dahl.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Give me your magic dahl recipe! I love lentils but never seem to get the spicing right on dahl.
    I don't follow any set recipe tbh but here's one that I wrote down that I found somewhere and it served as a great base. I think the cumin and mustard seeds as well as the fenugreek leaves are all pretty important for making this taste good.

For 100g of raw red lentils or split mung beans, which is about one serving:

Heat a tbsp of oil
    Add 1/2 tsp of asafoetida and a tsp of cumin seeds and mustard seeds
    When the seeds splutter, add a sprig of curry leaves and a diced onion and cook until tender and translucent
    Add 2 tsp of ginger/garlic paste, 3 diced thai chilies, 3 diced tomatoes (the generic UK supermarket size ones), 1 tsp of chili powder, 1/2 tsp of fenugreek powder, 1/2 tsp of cardamon powder, 1 tsp of coriander powder and about a tbsp of fresh fenugreek and coriander leaves - you may need to add a bit of water.
    Add the pre-cooked dal to the spice mix, bring to a boil and then simmer for 10mins before serving with rice, naan and/or rotis.

Quote Lentils View Post

I don't follow any set recipe tbh but here's one that I wrote down that I found somewhere and it served as a great base. I think the cumin and mustard seeds as well as the fenugreek leaves are all pretty important for making this taste good.

For 100g of raw red lentils or split mung beans, which is about one serving:

Heat a tbsp of oil
    Add 1/2 tsp of asafoetida and a tsp of cumin seeds and mustard seeds
    When the seeds splutter, add a sprig of curry leaves and a diced onion and cook until tender and translucent
    Add 2 tsp of ginger/garlic paste, 3 diced thai chilies, 3 diced tomatoes (the generic UK supermarket size ones), 1 tsp of chili powder, 1/2 tsp of fenugreek powder, 1/2 tsp of cardamon powder, 1 tsp of coriander powder and about a tbsp of fresh fenugreek and coriander leaves - you may need to add a bit of water.
    Add the pre-cooked dal to the spice mix, bring to a boil and then simmer for 10mins before serving with rice, naan and/or rotis.
    Sounds fantastic, although that's alot more spices than I currently own! I'll note it as aspirational for when I build up my spice collection again
    Houmous atá ann!

Raisins! My stomach is like a bottomless pit when I am eating those!

Nathan John Pryke

Alpro soya (chocolate only), crackers, 100% peanut butter, chocolate spread, cereal, chocolate coconut milk, coconut milk. Anything to feed my sugar addiction.

Another peanutbutter addict, except when I eat too much over a week I take a break from it.
    Jam!! Banana chips. Dried fruit. Hommus. Cherries!!! Carrots and grated carrot

*home made hot chips with salt and pepper,

I'm with you on peanut butter, I like to dunk oatcakes in it!

I'm a total crips fiend, too. Just salted kettle chips are amazing <3