Thread: Just tried "Follow Your Heart" mozzarella cheese this past weekend

Thumbs up Just tried "Follow Your Heart" mozzarella cheese this past weekend

I bought a block of FYH and a cheese grater and got to work making some vegan pizzas. Overall, I'd say FYH comes as close to tasting like actual mozzarella as one could reasonably expect. My only complaint is that it tasted a little too creamy and not quite savory enough, but I like to put Tobasco sauce on my pizza anyway, which went a long way in covering up the inconsistencies.

My only recommendation for others thinking of giving this a shot would be to avoid overcooking it, as it sort of got a little watery when I cooked it for too long on one pizza. Also, you don't need to completely cover your pizza in it the way you would with traditional cheese. A little goes a long way, in my opinion.

I'm satisfied with the product overall and will definitely buy more in the future. I give it an 8/10 as a grade.
    "I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Default Re: Just tried "Follow Your Heart" mozzarella cheese this past weekend

I like this soy cheese. This is an unhealthy recommendation but I like to add salt to it when I use it on pizzas or nachos. Something about the salt makes it tastes more like "real" cheese.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

All the FYH cheeses I've tried have been great. I love making vegan pizzas with the mozz flavor. Reed, maybe if you tried a different sauce you would get the savory effect you are looking for. You could also try adding a bit of nutritional yeast to it.

I wish one of the stores around here would carry the FYH cream cheese. I'm dying to try it.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

LOVE that stuff ... if you use a stone to cook your pizza the cheese actually bubbles and goooozze like real cheese!

Also just started eating a new vegan rice cheddar that is insanely good!!! Dressed the lentil burgers last night - and mmmmmmmmm......
    *light n blessings*

I like this soy cheese. This is an unhealthy recommendation but I like to add salt to it when I use it on pizzas or nachos. Something about the salt makes it tastes more like "real" cheese.
    Definitely something to take into consideration. Thanks for the suggestion.

All the FYH cheeses I've tried have been great. I love making vegan pizzas with the mozz flavor. Reed, maybe if you tried a different sauce you would get the savory effect you are looking for. You could also try adding a bit of nutritional yeast to it.
    Yeah, I actually just used this straight-out-of-the-can Hunt's tomato sauce stuff, which wasn't bad, but not great either. I think in the future I am going to start making my own sauce from scratch, with crushed tomato and basil leaves. SFVegan on Youtube has an educational series on making vegan pizza from scratch. Good stuff.

LOVE that stuff ... if you use a stone to cook your pizza the cheese actually bubbles and goooozze like real cheese!

Also just started eating a new vegan rice cheddar that is insanely good!!! Dressed the lentil burgers last night - and mmmmmmmmm......
    Wow, I've never even heard of rice cheddar before. I might try it though if I can find it. My purchase of this block of FYH last weekend was just sort of me testing the waters, if you will, on the FYH soy cheeses available at the local Whole Foods. I intend to get a bit more creative in the future with my pizza making.

I couldn't find (and probably can't afford at the moment) a pizza stone to help cook them from the bottom upwards like traditional pizzerias do, but I did get this circular non-stick pizza pan which is useful for shaping the pie if you are a noob at tossing and spinning the dough (which I am.)
    "I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

OK, I found the FYH cream cheese in my local Wegman's. Best. Thing. Ever. Beats the pants off the Tofutti version. I couldn't stop eating it right off the knife. It was delicious on my veggie burger.

Everyone must try it!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

RubyDuby

i want!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

YUM! That stuff is insanely addicting. I have to pull myself away from it or the entire package will be gone! I found it in a little health food store while on a trip last winter and I put it on some sprouted crackers. I was in heaven!! HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such a delicious treat for snack or even a breakfast.

I love the FYH mozzarella too! Has anyone tried the nacho cheese flavor yet?
    "I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for it." Abraham Lincoln

One method for not having to add more salt directly but still getting that yummy salty flavor is to use sliced black olives with the mozzarella flavor. I find it gives it just that extra umph to make my homemade pizza tasty but not add too much extra salt.

I think just on it's own the mozzarella does need a little pick-me-up. I'll have to try hot sauce! Great tip!