Thread: Deodorant and exfoliant

Question Deodorant and exfoliant

Dear Vegan Forum,

I have recently been spending far more time in communal changing rooms than I have in the past. One of the things I have now learnt is that aerosol deodorants are frowned upon somewhat and that rollerballs are far more friendly to those around you. I even got sassed by an old man about it the other day. I wouldn't mind this so much, but the reason I'm in the changing room is because I have taken up a martial art and the old man in question is a brown or black belt. (I already knew enough not to look down at another man's crotch in a changing room). Thus, if you could recommend me a vegan rollerball deodorant/antiperspirant, he might not rip off my testicles.

In other news, I think that the next step in my journey of self-improvement and war on self-loathing is to start exfoliating as part of my regular ablutions. Thus, if you can recommend me an exfoliant that will not make me feel like a raging metrosexual I would appreciate it. I understand that Never 2 Busy 2 Be Beautiful (a side-branch of Lush) have a product, but I tried a sample and it my face feel sore and red. I'm told by those in the know that's not what's meant to happen.

All advice gratefully received.
    Loose leaf for life.

cobweb

Default Re: Ask VF: Deodorant and exfoliant

i use sugar as an exfoiliant, creature, i mix it with a bit of soap and warm water and *gently* rub it over the skin, having wet it with very warm water first.

ew to spray on deodorants they are horrid! (as i tell my husband when he sprays his around!)

i think mitchum deodorant from regular shops is ok (unless it's changed) or you can get the crystal ones which you wet and rub on, or various ones from online vegan shops.

Buddha Belly

Hi, original source do good exfoliants, we use macadamia and orange (i think)
    Co-op do a cheap roll on that is supposed to be vegan. I use the Rok salt stick thing. Expensive i know but its good.

This is a bit scabby..... but one good use will last two days ! ha ha skanky i know.
    My girlfriend says she uses Tom's of Maine, i do as well if i'm being lazy.

She has just read this so i will not be using it again

I like the rose scented Weleda stuff. It's a spray, but not an aerosol (so less forceful, and probably won't get up other people's noses). In case you do not wish to smell like a rose they do more traditionally masculine scented ones as well.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

WildWitch

Not a roll on exactly but used in a similar way, have you tried those deoderising crystals, i think there amazing.

Clear spring do them (the one i have) or you can get one called pit rock. They last ages, have no smell and are totaly vegan. You can pick them up in HnB's or most health food shops. They do the talc now, i picked up a bottle from the crystal fayre i went to recently for my sons stinkin feet.

RebeccaDye

I use Pitrok spray, but it's not an aerosol, it's a pump spray.
    It's a deodorant as opposed to an antiperspirant and works well!
    Have a browse in your local health food shop as they'll probably have different vegan deodorants.

yup, i use PitRok too. i know you can usually get it in waitrose (the only place i could find it at the time), but a health food shop would prob stock it too if it was big enough. it does work well, though i'm finding it works less well over time???

amanda

original source do loads of roll on deoderants that are vegan. and jasons do an apricot (i think) exfoliant. it's in an orange tube thing anyway so maybe i've jsut guessed it's apricot. body shop used to do something called japanese washing grains but whether u'd use that or not depends on whether u think body shop r now scum or not.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

For exfoliant, I'd suggest Lush's Angels on Bare Skin.

Do any of theose vegan deodorants come in recyclable / biodegradabale packaging? (Hmmm, looks like Lush do some...)

The only half decent anti-perspirant I've ever found is the Body Shop one, the co-op do a much cheaper one but it's crap, and those 'natural' deodourants don't work for me at all.

I'll definitely be giving Original Source a whirl, I only recently found out they were vegan!
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Quote flying plum View Post
    yup, i use PitRok too.
    I've tried different types of crystal deodorant but PitRok works the best

Default Re: Deodorant and exfoliant

WildWitch

Aaaaggghhh stop it, this is one of my fave places to shop, only because every time i order cosmetics, shoes, toiletries etc i just have to top up my supply of chocolate bars. Trys to think of something i need to order from them as my stash of vegan chocies are down to the very last packet of dark choc covered pumpkin seeds.

Now youve done it

Quote WildWitch View Post
    Aaaaggghhh stop it, this is one of my fave places to shop, only because every time i order cosmetics, shoes, toiletries etc i just have to top up my supply of chocolate bars. Trys to think of something i need to order from them as my stash of vegan chocies are down to the very last packet of dark choc covered pumpkin seeds.

Now youve done it
    Haha! I really love to shop there too!