Thread: New vegan foods

Default New vegan foods

Long time lurker, first time poster - please be kind!!

Between Asda and Holland & Barrett, Redwood foods seem to be ramping up their products (organic range).
    From Asda I came away with cheatin' slices beef, ham, chicken and pepperoni - all now have a charred/smoked rind on them. They also do the cheatin' bacon, fish fingers and a brussels style pate' which tasted horrible!!

On Sunday I went to H&B to pick up a Cheatin' roast, they had 2 new ones! Again, organics range.
    Cheatin' Turkey with the middle filled with a wild rice and cranberry stuffing (delicious) and Cheatin' beef with the middle filled with a horse raddish and wild rice stuffing (still in the fridge!). These both had the charred/smokey rind too. It really makes it look good!!

I realise this sounds like a Redwoods advert, but it's nice to see some new products and a supermarket really pushing a big range too!

Default Re: New vegan foods

Quote bignige View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster - please be kind!!
    I realise this sounds like a Redwoods advert, but it's nice to see some new products and a supermarket really pushing a big range too!
    Ever had that Beanfeast pate stuff that looks like whiskas? Tastes okay though....

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    Ever had that Beanfeast pate stuff that looks like whiskas? Tastes okay though....
    Yeah, I've had the Beanfeast one, it's ok. I think maybe I have an aversion to pate's!!

i got the turkey roast thing from rosemarys health shop im keeping it for christmas dinner i cant wait hope its nice, i cant get anything like that from my asda i went it one time they had the fish fingers but never had them since ? but thats it no slices or anything i prefer sainsburys most of there basics stuff is vegan and tastes nice but i love all redwoods stuff i usually go town and bulk buy or get off internet

Quote bignige View Post
    Cheatin' beef with the middle filled with a horse raddish and wild rice stuffing
    that sounds nice, i'll have to look out for that. i don't go to Asda any more but i wonder if they carry these ranges in my local store. they definitely don't offer them in their online shop anyway.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i got the turkey one with cranberry stuffing when i went to the till she said these are selling really fast people really like them so i keeping mine for xmas i cant wait didnt try it cause knowing my luck i would of ate it and gone to get another one and they would be all sold old cant wait to try it i love new stuff except most times i forget im in a shop and cant help but shout wow look at that or ohhh that new lol

Quote bignige View Post
    On Sunday I went to H&B to pick up a Cheatin' roast, they had 2 new ones! Again, organics range.
    Cheatin' Turkey with the middle filled with a wild rice and cranberry stuffing (delicious) and Cheatin' beef with the middle filled with a horse raddish and wild rice stuffing (still in the fridge!).
    this sounds like a brilliant idea for christmas eve dinner, cos we're having about three different christmas celebrations this year and I really can't be bothered to make myself three different things. lazy amanda

amanda

Grassingtons have changed some recipes and now have more vegan stuff.
    The website says:- "Our Multigrain Vegetable Bakes, Spicy Bean Burgers and NEW Gardein range are also suitable for Vegans"
    http://www.grassingtons.co.uk/range
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

i had them the other week i had the chicken fillet from asda and had the peppered steak from sainsbury they do say suitable for vegans on the packet im that used to seeing suitable for vegetarians that i wasnt going to pick them up and was shocked when i saw suitable for vegans to the chicken is nice the peppered steak is a bit sweet and when i cooked it in the grill the juicy that came off them took all the pepper off and then burnt onto the pan i prefer the chicken ones hopefully they will bring out some more stuff now wish other companies would do vegan stuff you can get quorn in nearly everywhere why cant they be vegan ?

Quote Gorilla View Post
    that sounds nice, i'll have to look out for that. i don't go to Asda any more but i wonder if they carry these ranges in my local store. they definitely don't offer them in their online shop anyway.
    Good for you Gorilla. Asda treat their staff & suppliers appallingly. Any local wholefood shop with cold facilities can get hold of most of this stuff if they use Suma, Goodness, Lembas or Juniper as wholesalers (and most do)... if they need advice now, you know what to tell them.

cobweb

Quote jonnie falafel View Post
    Good for you Gorilla. Asda treat their staff & suppliers appallingly. Any local wholefood shop with cold facilities can get hold of most of this stuff if they use Suma, Goodness, Lembas or Juniper as wholesalers (and most do)... if they need advice now, you know what to tell them.

this is getting sooooooooooo old

and what would you suggest people (like me) should do who don't have a 'local wholefood' shop? (i live in Orkney)

i know quite a few people who have worked for Asda and been more than happy with their treatment. Stop generalising. Change the record .

Quote cobweb View Post
    this is getting sooooooooooo old

and what would you suggest people (like me) should do who don't have a 'local wholefood' shop? (i live in Orkney)

i know quite a few people who have worked for Asda and been more than happy with their treatment. Stop generalising. Change the record .
    **sniggers**
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

We had the Grassingtons peppered steak gardein things tonight. I thought they were pretty good, although yes, some of the sauce did come off and get a bit burnt. It's a non-stick pan though, so it should be okay after a bit of a soak. Also bought the chicken thing and the wholegrain bakes (I'm such a sucker for new things).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Those meatballs is well nice, innit!

Got em for £1 in morrisons, and had spaghetti and meatballs tonight. Ask Jo - well nice!

Buddha Belly

We had the pepper thingys from Morrisons the other day. They were great. the only downside was the packaging made us think there was alot more in there Still it was loverly, have the 'meatballs' still in the freezer. My gf aint too sure as she thought they were a bit too meaty. Not sure what i think as yet.

Heh, I knew they weren't going to be huge because of how light the package was. We had potato wedges and carrots, sprouts and cauliflower with them, an old fashioned (not)meat and two veg kind of meal, and I thought there was about the right amount like that. Or I bet it would be nice sliced up in a french baguette.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Buddha Belly

I will try the baguette with the chickeny ones tomorrow, thanks for the idea.

if the multigrain bakes and some of there other stuff vegan do you think they will change the packaging and label them vegan i cant get the meatballs they exclusive to morrisons and i cant get to one