Thread: Angry! Whey Deception!

Angry Angry! Whey Deception!

This woman brought in cereal samples today at my office. When she got to me I told her that I was vegan and asked her if the cereal was made with any animal products..... she assured me it wasn't -- that it was 100% vegan. So I took the sample (dry) and started munching. An hour or so later I was talking with my friend in the break room and picked up the little cereal box sample. I read the ingredients and listed was WHEY.

Dumb woman! She doesn't know that whey is a dairy milk by-product? GRRRRRRR!

I'm pissed off.

Default Re: Angry! Whey Deception!

this is exactly why i don't let non vegans cook for me or offer me things that they say are vegan friendly. it's not that i don't trust them, i just don't believe them
    k thx bai

I had no idea what Whey was before I was vegan. I doubt most people do...
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

The deli manager at my work, who is supposed to be trained in this kind of thing - needed ME to tell HIM what whey was.

It's such a unnecessary ingredient and I hate how some products (eg, bread rolls) would be otherwise vegan, if they didn't have whey in them.

Pilaf

Quote DreamIntoAction View Post
    This woman brought in cereal samples today at my office. When she got to me I told her that I was vegan and asked her if the cereal was made with any animal products..... she assured me it wasn't -- that it was 100% vegan. So I took the sample (dry) and started munching. An hour or so later I was talking with my friend in the break room and picked up the little cereal box sample. I read the ingredients and listed was WHEY.

Dumb woman! She doesn't know that whey is a dairy milk by-product? GRRRRRRR!

I'm pissed off.
    And why didn't you read the label yourself before trusting someone else's opinion? This could have been averted with a little effort on your part.

I think your anger at her is slightly misplaced if the ingredients were on the box and you didn't read them before munching... and it's really not that dumb for an omni not to know where whey comes from. But if she's giving out samples, she could have found herself in a very difficult position if there were someone with a severe dairy allergy - but then I guess those people would have read the ingredients rather than take someone else's word for it if their life depended on it.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I had no idea what Whey was before I was vegan. I doubt most people do...
    *clears throat* ahem:

little miss muffet,
    sat on her tuffet,
    eating her curds and whey,
    when along came a spider,
    and sad down beside her,
    and frightened miss muffet away

but then again...now we just say 'cottage cheese', so it's forgiveable

amanda

I would be annoyed too: the woman shouldn't have answered if she didn't know what "vegan" meant, and as she's working in the food business she should know.

From experience I would probably have read the box to check, and I expect you will as well another time, DreamIntoAction. No point fretting about this incident, but you could write to the firm involved to point out their mistake, if you have contact details for them.

Well... um... no need to be rude to me, ya'll.
    There was no box with her when she was handing out the samples. She had the cereal in little cups with the cereal name on little pieces of cardboard. The ingredients were not listed on the cardboard. She assured me that it was vegan. I guess I shouldn't be so trusting.
    I just assumed--since she works in the food industry--she would know her products and be knowledgeable in their ingredients.

Sorry..

There's no need to apologise. Most people here have made mistakes at one point or another, when it comes to veganism.

And if they haven't....well goody to them

Buddha Belly

Red face Re: Angry! Whey Deception!

Quote DreamIntoAction View Post
    Well... um... no need to be rude to me, ya'll.
    There was no box with her when she was handing out the samples. She had the cereal in little cups with the cereal name on little pieces of cardboard. The ingredients were not listed on the cardboard. She assured me that it was vegan. I guess I shouldn't be so trusting.
    I just assumed--since she works in the food industry--she would know her products and be knowledgeable in their ingredients.

Sorry..
    Sh*t happens, everyone makes mistakes. If we don't trust abyone we would never eat out or eat anything that does not start as a raw ingredient.

Thumbs up Re: Angry! Whey Deception!

ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

^ to be fair, emp, if you read the OP again, it did sound like s/he was handed a box of cereal, ate it then read the label later, then got arsey with the woman handing them out for not knowing what whey was. And no-one is condemning him/her, just acknowledging that omnis can (accidentally or deliberately) be a poor source of information about animal by-products in food.

(assuming that your comment was aimed at me, 'cos that's how it sounded, mate.)

fair doos..you're right..i'm just in an arsey mood today. i'll delete it and it wasnt aimed at you anyway..really.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

No, you're all right - you know I'm not a sensitive little flower. And there's no reason for Dream Into Action to have felt that anyone was being rude - after all, s/he knew all the facts, but they weren't in the original post.

Move along now, people - nothing to see here...