Thread: Is there a name for raw vegans?

Question Is there a name for raw vegans?

Some evil carnivore at my friends work told her to tell me that I'm not a "real vegan" because real vegans eat only raw food AND eat dairy. HA! Not only is dairy she's speaking of not raw it's also not true. My response was "tell her to go read a book and get back to me". Nevertheless, I'm vegan. I have vegetarian and pescatarian friends but.... what is the proper "name" for a person who only eats Raw?

Default Re: Is there a name for Raw Vegans?

i think it's just raw foodist. and someone who eats only raw food and is vegan is raw vegan...i don't think i've ever heard any other terms, though perhaps there is one...

amanda

I hadn't heard one yet either! I figured if she had something to say after my "read a book comment" the more educated i was on vegan vs. raw vegan the better! thanks plum!

how odd that she thought 'vegan' meant raw food and dairy i have heard of people who will eat raw animal products: unpasteurised milk, raw fish, even sometimes raw meat but they never associated themselves with being vegan. i think she's getting her wires crossed somewhere!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

There was this wife swap on a few years ago where there was a take-the-piss-etarians and a raw meat family. After that I got asked alot of questions about raw food and if I ate raw meat! Strange! It was an American show so perhaps thats where they got the misunderstanding. Long shot I know...but meh!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Mahk

Quote lizzo View Post
    what is the proper "name" for a person who only eats Raw?
    A crudivore.

^ That's very funny. It makes me think of someone living off crudites.

it looks like it means someone who eats crud, as the link says

part of the explanation says "It refers to the belief that humans were healthier and lived longer before the development of culture and civilization, when food was eaten raw." as far as i understand it, ancient peoples had pretty short lifespans compared to people today, i don't buy that at all.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I think they're getting mixed up with Jains, who don't eat any food that kills that from which it comes but often consume dairy (source and treatment depending)
    there are also certain branches of budhism too I think that only eat raw food and consume dairy but I'm not too sure on that

Default Re: Is there a name for raw vegans?

crudivore is probably latin. but in french Cru means raw.
    the french appetizer "cruditées" which means a dish of raw vegetables, usually with some kind of salad dressing.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    part of the explanation says "It refers to the belief that humans were healthier and lived longer before the development of culture and civilization, when food was eaten raw." as far as i understand it, ancient peoples had pretty short lifespans compared to people today, i don't buy that at all.
    I'm of the belief that the earliest humans only ate raw fruit and veg, and lived extremely long lives. I also believe that humans started to eat meat (which our bodies were obviously never meant to process) during an ice age when they no longer had access to plant matter, and continued this unhealthy habit once the climate returned to normal, albeit on a much smaller scale than today, where the meat lobby has all but convinced us that we're omnivores, when really our anatomy clearly shows that we're entirely herbivore.

It greatly taxes the body to break down cooked foods and meats, and this drastically shortens our lifespans.
    bubsandbaxter.com
    For people-hating pound-pets.

Humans have been on the planet more or less as homo sapiens for roughly 1.5 million years, and the ice ages have in the recent carbon history, been occuring every 22,000 years or something like that?

so there would be freeze thaw cycles ..etc it doesn't make sense to say that the last ice age forged bad habits for us as humans...

However the gist of the point is well taken:

for example: In India in the mountains people tend to eat meat because there is a harsh winter, whereas in the south there is a lush tropical part of india where the people are the most strict in terms of their vegetarianism. In fact in south India they hardly eat dairy.

climate is definitely a factor

Is there a name for raw vegans?

How about 'raw vegan'?
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

" what is the proper "name" for a person who only eats Raw? "

*cough* raw vegan *cough*

though the name suggests more about the character of the individual rather than the diet and philosophy behind it
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

songlife

A raw vegan is called a "raw vegan".

A raw vegan is a type of "raw foodist", but a raw foodist is not necessarily a vegan. Milk, eggs, fish etc can be eaten raw, but those things are not vegan.

It's like, rock is a type of music, but music is not necessarily rock.