Thread: Off The Hoof - new magazine

Default Off The Hoof - new magazine

Off The Hoof – Out Now!!!
    Yaoh's brand new vegan veggie lifestyle magazine Off the Hoof is out now! Featuring vegan pub landlord Al Slurry and his intrepid team of reporters, this magazine will guarantee to amuse and probably offend. Available from the Yaoh webshop www.yaoh.co.uk/catalog and from selected Independent Health Stores.

I wasn't sure if it was o.k to post this and if this was the right place? Let me know if not.

Default Re: Off The Hoof - new magazine

I wish there was a .pdf version available to buy.
    I contribute to a magazine about virtual instruments which offers both formats.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Zero

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    I wish there was a .pdf version available to buy.
    I contribute to a magazine about virtual instruments which offers both formats.
    Perhaps suggest it to them

I'm sure they will have considered it, since it almost certainly exists in .pdf form, but will do so anyway.
    Some publishers fear reduced sales if the .pdf version becomes shared via p2p.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Zero

Yeah, that can be a concern, but you would think they would want to have to environmentally friendly option available but you can only restrict a pdf to a certain degree, I guess we shall see!

i bought a copy at the Weds Mids vegan fayre and i'm making my way through it. i like the features on Olympic vegans and Harry Hill. i was a bit surprised to see the interview with Robbie Hazeley saying his favourite drink was Guinness and blackcurrant
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

How did I manage to completely miss you on Saturday Gorilla?
    Anyway here is link to the face book page - please join and leave comments.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33004774105

i don't know - i didn't see you anywhere! it was pretty packed though.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Hey up,

Has anyone else had a read of it? Hear it's good, thinking of getting it as xmas prezzie for a vege mate of mine - might push him that extra step - but want a second opinion before I order one, can't find one to flick through down here

i'd post you my copy if i still had it - but i think it might have ended up in the recycling bin by now...

i thought it was not bad for a first effort, although they never replied to my email asking why they printed the Guinness comment!

I just submitted a travel piece to them! Maybe not as witty as they would've liked but free ain't bad.

Who's next? Been anywhere beautiful and fun and fattening? Share it with the rest of us in print.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I just went ahead and bought one in the end, cheers for the thought though Gorilla. Went away to see family and friends for the weekend so had something to read on my travels, loved it! I'm not sure everyone else on the bus appreciated me giggling like a schoolboy though ha ha!

PS Not sure travelling to Brighton and London would really qualify for a travel piece but I might lust do it, keep your eyes peeled

Issue two is supposed to be out now, I emailed to get a subscription and have been informed that they're running a few days late on their print run - any day soon....

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Quote pat sommer View Post
    I just submitted a travel piece to them! Maybe not as witty as they would've liked but free ain't bad.

Who's next? Been anywhere beautiful and fun and fattening? Share it with the rest of us in print.
    Something like this, perhaps . . .?

From the age of 21, I've backpacked with my BBWness around the world. This began with studying in London, then after graduating my job taking me to North America/Canada, Scandinavia, Southern Europe, South East Asia and Australasia. When I wasn't working I'd take myself off to remote Islands to explore the culture.

I am fat! I have belly that wobbles when I walk and a bum that echoes my movements. Don’t get me wrong, this is not some life-altering confession a la alcoholics anonymous: Rather, it’s an easy way for you to picture me, climbing up a rope, bum over end into the back of a rocking Indonesian fishing boat, desperately trying not to bounce into the propeller and retain, . . . well, at least a crumb of dignity. Backpacking is always adventurous but it takes on many new twists when a plus-size body meets rickety transport, bamboo bridges, and tiny locals who find all westerners . . let alone those with wobbly bellies . . .startling. Let’s take the tiny upright women of central Lambok who are less than half my size. Whether in the multi-coloured chaos of the local markets, the golden rice fields, or the white washed lanes of small villages, my appearance invariably produces animated discussions in Sasak and wild gestures toward me. The boldest of the group came up to me and slapped my thick arm, uttering more exclamations. Gestures of eating, offers of rice followed. One old woman patted her hips, expanding them large with her hands and then followed her breasts, producing proportions that would make Dolly Parton proud! The message was always the same; a good breeder! The scene was replayed throughout the Islands of Indonesia, Polynesia, the Caribbean and southern Europe.

The only murmur of discontent . . . and more often riotous laughter . . . was on local transport, where a combination of my size and innate clumsiness could have proven disastrous. I took up three seats, and with my legs up to my chin and a huge backpack, it took a while to untangle me. My most fervent wish when squashing past startled locals in their tiny minivans, aiming for an unlikely looking space at the back, was: “Please don’t let me get stuck!"

*This an excert from an artical I wrote about big beautiful women travelling, that was published a few years ago*.

I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

issue 2 of Off the Hoof is out now and is a load better than the already stunning issue 1 . there is a brilliant report about greyhound racing from new writer 'uber bitch'

I spoke to the guys at Yaoh about an online version to download. Apparently there will be will be an online bulletin coming in the next six months with articles and features from the mag plus competitions and goodies to win. Not sure exactly when though as they're a bit busy with Bristol VF at the mo

Off The Hoof is now available as a free download! Go to www.offthehoof.co.uk to get it, I bought a copy of issue 4 before finding this out and it was worth every penny. Great read, have a go

I've just had a shufty of the magazine on the website and I'm quite impressed with it!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

I really liked the swine flu article, bit factual / bit apocolyptic!

Good news peeps, 300 copies of issue 5 of Off The Hoof magazine will be given away free at the Brighton Eco Veggie Fayre on March 20th at the Hove Town Hall.
    www.brighton.ecoveggiefayre.co.uk