Thread: Animal Remembrance Service, London, 9th November

Default Animal Remembrance Service, London, 9th November

I have not long heard of this event but below are details if anyone is interested. This year is the first one and the aim is to make it an annual service.

"On Sunday the 9th of November the fallen animals of war will be
    honoured at a short service of remembrance at the Animals War Memorial
    in London (which is near Hyde Park). Retired Anglican Rector & Former Hospital Chaplain Reverend James
    Thompson of Holywell will lead the service, believed to be the first
    of its kind. Two hymns and a prayer have been specially written for
    the event.
    The service begins at 10.30am with a 2 minute silence observed at
    11am after which wreaths and posies will be laid."

Default Re: Animal Remembrance Service, London, 9th November

I'm really disturbed by this - finding the idea of anthropomorphising these poor creatures into 'war heroes' or whatever quite uncomfortable. In fact, animals are taken against their will into war zones, terrified and abused, and finally killed.

On the other hand, perhaps it's a good thing to remind people that war affects more the human species?

What do others think?

I like the idea RR - I think it's good to remember the non-humans killed by war, I think it's something no-one really gives a thought to very often, including me.

I do understand though why the idea makes you uncomfortable.

I wish I was in London so I could go.

Rather than honouring the dead animals I think it would be better to make it a condemnation of the people that decided to use them for their own ends in a way that resulted in their deaths.

I take it it will be a Christian service, do they know what religion the animals were?

ETA: 2 minute silence? they should make it at least 5 minutes, and we should have silences for more occasions until everyone is permanently silent and we're all living in a permanent state of sorrow - that'll help the world.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I'm not keen on the religious aspect but I'm all for remembering animal victims of war with the emphasis on the fact that they have no choice in the matter and are completely innocent victims of humankind's violence.

Animal Aid are selling purple poppies to remember animal victims of war:

http://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/accessories.htm

There's an animal's war memorial near Hyde Park:

http://mylondonyourlondon.com/?p=38

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/events/...rmemorial.html

I've seen it and found it quite moving.

Stu

I might have maybe been possibly interested in this remembrance, if it wasn't polluted with religion.

Quote Risker View Post
    Rather than honouring the dead animals I think it would be better to make it a condemnation of the people that decided to use them for their own ends in a way that resulted in their deaths.
    I hear ya bro.

Quote Stu View Post
    I might have maybe been possibly interested in this remembrance, if it wasn't polluted with religion.
    We went to one the other year, and it was an animal aid-lead remembrance/condemnation. Completely secular.

Animals have no religion - don't force it on them!

I am not one of the organisers but obviously I put the notice up just to let people know about it if they where interested rather than to spark a debate about religion.

As I am not an organiser I can't speak on behalf of them as to their intentions, but it does involve Christians Against All Animal Abuse so it would seem to me that this is not about making animals into war heroes but drawing attention to the fact that millions of animals died in the 2 world wars and yet are barley thought about or even mentioned. We remember the people who died in them every year with no mention of the Animals. The Animals in War Memorial in London is very moving indeed and has the words "they had no choice" on it - I am sure that is what will be in the minds of the people at the service.

People can be very quick to criticise other peoples events but as far as I can see there is nothing to stop anyone here from organising a different kind of service with a different kind of focus if that is what they would like to see.

I didn't hear of the Animal Aid service - was it just a one off? If it was I wonder why.

With respect, Midland Gal, we weren't criticising the event, just recording our immediate responses to the concept of the event. Saying prayers, singing hymns, holding a 2 minute silence and laying wreaths is exactly what is done to commemorate the human "heroes" of war, and they were described as "the fallen" in the same way that soldiers are described. There was nothing in your original post to indicate that the intentions of the event organisers were any different to the event organisers of the many rememberance day services around the country. I also don't know the group Christians against All Animal Abuse - but if they're against animal abuse, I like 'em!

I have never seen the animals in war memorial - I am very moved to hear that it says they had no choice, and will make an effort to go and see the memorial itself. Thank you for raising my awareness that this memorial exists.

Hi Ruby Rose

The Animals in War Memorial is definitly worth a visit. It brings a tear to my eye every time I pass it.

Some of the people involved in wars - esp World War 1 - arguably didn't have a great deal of choice about whether to participate either. More than an animal would, but still not much. http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk...nscription.htm