Thread: Hope to Farmed Animals in US

Default Hope to Farmed Animals in US

"November 4, 2008 marks a truly historic day for farmed animals: in a landslide victory, Proposition 2, the Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act, passed in California, with a resounding 63% support!

This makes California the fifth state in the nation to ban gestation crates, the third to ban veal crates, and, most notably, the first state ever to ban the battery cage.

This landmark measure will reduce the suffering of more than 20 million farmed animals in California , most of whom are egg-laying hens crammed inside barren wire battery cages, barely able to move, let alone perform many of their most natural behaviors including nesting, perching, and even walking. Battery cages are standard practice in the egg industry throughout the U.S. Learn more by visiting EggIndustry.com.

Congratulations to everyone—the countless individuals and organizations, including The Humane Society of United States, Farm Sanctuary, and Mercy for Animals—who helped bring about this historic victory. By coming together to form a unified front, our movement accomplished what our adversaries had hoped was impossible: we defeated the deep pockets of animal agribusiness in the most ambitious ballot initiative for farmed animals this country as seen—and in the process exposed millions of Americans to the routine horrors kept hidden behind the closed doors of factory farms.

While we celebrate this major advancement for animals, we also know we still have a long way to go, and by continuing to work together today, we can all help create a more compassionate tomorrow."

The above is from 'Compassion Over Killing'
    Eve

Default Re: Hope to Farmed Animals in US

I guess this should have been posted to the US thread.
    Eve

woo hoo! I voted
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I wish there was something to be excited about.

This measure is not a step in the right direction, unless you consider the right direction a world in which all animals are treated about as well as most people expect them to be treated before killing them for consumption. If anything, Proposition 2 will help people feel better about eating animals, in the same way that the Animal Welfare Act helps people feel better about animals being used in experiments.

A step in the right direction would require some incremental eradication of animals' property status, and that did not happen here, I'm sad to say.
    Visit: abolitionistapproach.com, peaceopie.com, bostonvegan.org, and vegandocumentary.com

I saw these ads on TV for prop 2 and they were strong with some haunting images, and I think that got the average omni thinking about where meat and eggs really come from. I have NEVER seen anything like it on TV before, so I can imagine what an effect it must have had on people...
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

It seems a good thing to me. It's a shame the proposition 8 to ban gay marriages got voted in too.

Still anything that illiviates animal suffering is good in my mind. Just so long as they don't cheat.