Thread: Fat for pastry?

Default Fat for pastry?

What fat do people use when making pastry?

I'm trying to learn to make a rough puff pastry (not a true puff pastry at all). For which there are many recipes, but today I'm following this one: http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/a...ff-pastry.aspx

The recipe says to use butter. Yesterday (and today) I'm using vegetable fat. But now that I reread the page, it says that the water that's in the butter is a crucial part of it rising and the layers separating. But vegan margarine such as Pure is too soft, and won't stay in lumps. When I tried to use Pure to make a proper puff pastry the result was simple, immediate, disaster. So what do people use?

I ask this in the UK forum rather than the recipes forum as brands and types of fat available seem vastly different in different countries.

Default Re: Fat for pastry?

If I'm making plain shortcrust, I use a mix of Pure and Trex. I find using all Trex is too greasy and heavy. I've had no luck with making puff pastry myself, and just use JusRoll now.

There's a few suggestions here, my suggestion would be the Tomor block margarine if you can get it anywhere
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    There's a few suggestions here, my suggestion would be the Tomor block margarine if you can get it anywhere
    Thanks for the suggestions and the link. I'll see if I can get some Tomor. There are enough large supermarkets around here.

I know it is possible to get a decent pastry out of solid fat, flour, salt, and water, as I did it once. But even though I've tried to repeat the recipe several times, it has never worked

Tomor is hard to find these days outside Kosher Delis & groceries, but it's great for pastry.

Here's a tip if you can't find veg suet for puddings. Simply freeze your usual brand of margarine and grate it into the flour. Works fine.
    No guru, no method, no teacher

I would've thought Trex would be ok to use?

I'm fairly sure that Cherry has written to the makers of Trex in the past and been told it's OK.

I tend to use Pure for shortcrust. I'm far too lazy to make puff.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Yea, I'm quite lazy when it comes to puff pastry too but it's nice to make it now and then.

I have bought blocks or tubs of Tomor from the Oadby branch of Sainsbury's several times (though I have not been there for a year or so, so don't know if they still have it), if that's any use to you?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Tomor and sainsburys own brand are about 75% fat, so about right for this. Pure is too low, at about 55%.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Tomor and sainsburys own brand are about 75% fat, so about right for this. Pure is too low, at about 55%.
    When you say sainsbury's own brand, do you mean the dairy-free table margarine? Or is there an own-brand Sainsbury's cooking fat that I'm not aware of?

Twinkle: Thanks for the info on Tomor. Usually I go to the Sainsbury's at the city end of Belgrave road. But if I don't find Tomor marg there, I'll try Oadby next time I'm out that way.

Quote RossClement View Post
    When you say sainsbury's own brand, do you mean the dairy-free table margarine? Or is there an own-brand Sainsbury's cooking fat that I'm not aware of?

Twinkle: Thanks for the info on Tomor. Usually I go to the Sainsbury's at the city end of Belgrave road. But if I don't find Tomor marg there, I'll try Oadby next time I'm out that way.

Yeah, just the vegetable margarine. In the yellow tub.

are Sainsburys doing a dairy-free margarine again then? they did discontinue their own brand a while back.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

pathologist

I asked this on VF last year and Tumor was suggested. Of course Trex and Pure are not suitable for lots of type of pastry - which are designed for the particular chemical and physical properties of butter. I got Tumor (from local Sainburys - which has big Kosher section - in Prestwich) and it was an excellent substitute - I made lovely "Sausage Rolls" with Puff pastry for work party!

If Pure has not enough fat, and Trex (etc.) has too much, couldn't you mix the two together to get the appropriate fat content?

Quote RossClement View Post
    If Pure has not enough fat, and Trex (etc.) has too much, couldn't you mix the two together to get the appropriate fat content?
    yep, about 2/3 pure to 1/3 trex. Just make sure you blend thoroughly and chill well before using.