Thread: "My Monkey Baby" (Ch4)

Sloth

Default "My Monkey Baby" (Ch4)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-monkey-baby

What the hell?
    I would have thought I was fairly safe in assuming the illegality of stuff like this. Apparently not.
    Did anyone else see this?

EDIT: I've just seen the UK TV programmes thread ~_~
    Sorry I didn't put it there...

helen105281

Default Re: "My Monkey Baby" (Ch4)

Didn't watch it but saw the adverts, was it as bad as it looked?

It was very disturbing and upsetting imo. Ripping babies away from their natural
    mothers at 2 weeks old to fulfil some missing "need" of humans is just... awful The look in that monkey's eyes when they were stood their with her baby was heart-breaking. The "breeder" monkeys were kept in horrible little cages with just no life what-so-ever. And I just have to wonder how "attached" the babies would be to their human "mothers" if they weren't kept on leashes!

To take an intelligent, sentient being away from their mother and then subject it to an unnatural life of imprisonment to satisfy something missing in the human's life is just utterly unacceptable.

The bit about 11 minutes in is horrible. "This could be the last time you see real mummy"... sick fucks.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sloth

Quote Risker View Post
    ... sick fucks.
    My thoughts exactly.
    And I couldn't help but feel no sympathy whatsoever for the women upset over the fact that their children had grown up. I remember at one point one of them said something along the lines of 'my children wanted to leave home and become their own people...', and it was clearly meant it in such a bitter, negative way. I understand children leaving home can be difficult for parents, but it frustrates me like crazy when people cling to their kids. Sorry, tangent. There is no excuse for this animal abuse.

I was shocked. Watching things like this makes me feel completely helpless, because I know that there's not a damn thing that can be done quickly. I mean, for fucks sake, that breeder woman was keeping them in tiny cages in what looked very like a garage.

I read something about this in one of my mum's magazines a while back. Disturbing on many levels. These women need to get some professional help in letting go of their kids and turning their efforts towards more healthy, constructive outlets.

Now going to watch on 4-OD.

Edit: You mean this is a series? Geez, I thought it was a one-off. So not a documentary, more using innocent animals for entertainment. The world is so messed up!
    Last edited by Kate1978; Jun 3rd, 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: see above
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Quote Risker View Post
    ... sick fucks.
    That was my thoughts exactly, I could only watch a little of it before I switched off.

I am against breeding for pets anyway, whatever type of animals we decide we need as companions; its a result of our own short comings and not an excuse to imprison another living being. I must admit there was something particularly distressing about seeing monkeys being put into that scenario, i guess because they are so 'close' to humans.
    I dont get crunchy people?

Prawnil

That's all very well, but a ban on private primate breeding would be, like, a restriction of peoples' freedoms ... U S A! U S A!

At the very least I thought the older two couples ought to be in the care of mental health professionals. And channel 4 succeeded, as usual, in sending out a piece of shit in the pursuit of cheap controversy. The makers really exceeded their standards with the moronic narration ("...for those who blahblah, a monkey is the perfect solution!" ; "...blahblah also has real children..." ; " ...just like real children...") and chirpy, jaunty backing music.

I don't think it is a series ( ? ).

On the subject of channel 4, does anyone else get that warm, fuzzy feeling over the linker voiceovers introducing Hugh Fearnleyetc.'s 'welfare friendly veal' and all that?

Edit: Sorry, rage is what I meant. Furious, fuzzy rage.

cobweb

sick fucks is right, couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes it's a blessing i don't live near Beachy Head.

*live*&*let*live

OMG!!! I taped this and it took me over the hour to watch 25 minutes of it! I kept pausing it to rant and was really crying. My hubbie was attempting to calm me down but I was so distraught, the sight of that poor mother in the cage reaching out for her baby, and the commenter saying that they are emotional beings!!! That said then how on earth can this be justified and allowed?? People are aware of the fact animals can feel, they just choose to turn a blind eye for their own selfish 'needs'. (more like wants) And then adding that in the wild a monkey stays with it's mother for 1 YEAR these poor souls had TEN DAYS together!!! Could you imagine having a human being in a cage and forced to produce and then giving away her offspring?!? There would be outrage and so what makes it different for animals?! Saying to the poor thing that this will be the last time you will see your real mommy!!?! Emphasis on the word real - EXACTLY!! F@ckers!
    Did you see the darling little thing when they were bringing it 'home' holding so tightly on to the 'substitute' cuddly monkey, and then screaming when they were putting a bloody nappy on her?!!!
    Ridiculing such beautiful wild animals by dressing them like dolls and feeding them CRAP!! sucking on lollypops?! WTF!!! and eating candy and other such total SHIT!! I know I treat my dog now and then, but these animals would NEVER be popping to the local shop in the wild and buying lollypops!!! I mean whatever next? Dressing them in hoodies and hanging outside the local offy drinking alcopops with them?!! I am not joking I am very angry and so disgusted that this is allowed.
    I didn't make it to the end, I will attempt to watch it but I don't know if I can face it. The one man who couldn't have children could have attempted to adopt. The other woman who had empty nest syndrome could have fostered or even rescued a domesticated animal. Mind you after seeing what they do to them in the name of 'love' I don't think I would leave anything that breathes with them.
    Sorry people that I am ranting I just REALLY am so terribly terribly sad for these poor monkeys. Kept on leashes so they can't run away, not being able to swing from trees, mate and make friends, they haven't even got a mate to interact with!! And what happens if something happened to their 'owners' I don't think social services would find a suitable home do you?! Mmm, trip to the vets, b@stards.

And another thing, £4500 for a life?!! God knows what she spent it on as she hardly lived in a bloody palace, did you see where she went to get the babe from?! OMG it looked a right state. Perhaps she pays some other person to kidnap other primates for her.
    Last edited by *live*&*let*live; Jun 4th, 2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: adding

*live*&*let*live

This is what monkey life should all be about...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZ63KAv0m4

I only saw a few moments, but clearly these people actually had serious issues in themselves. It made me very sad for both 'owners' and monkeys.

I saw the advert for it, glad i didn't watch it