Thread: Realeat VegeMince

Default Realeat VegeMince

Hi, does anyone find there is a variation in taste with different packs of Realeat VegeMince, I find there is a large variation for no obvious reason. I used to buy the Safeway brand but this I think was discontinued when they were taken over by Morrisons and so I change to Realeat and have noticed this difference is taste between different packs of the same brand since then.

Default Re: Realeat VegeMince

I've noticed a variation in texture. Sometimes it seems chewier than it ought to be!

I've noticed the variation in both taste and texture in different packs. Sometimes it seems to have larger, chewier, bits, which taste a bit more or soya than before.

Buddha Belly

Hi,
    I use TVP now but at last check Morrisons done a really good mince in the green bag. I always preferred it to realeat as it is far less greasy

I only have Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco near where I live now. Asda seem to have absolutely nothing, Sainsbury's have their own brand but it's marked as vegetarian and not vegan. Tesco stock Realeat and may have their own brand.

I've noticed the texture changes quite a bit. Can't really comment on the taste as I use it to make super hot chillis, spag-bols or cottage pies where the other ingredients provide the flavour.

Buddha Belly

Try TVP then, the little ones if they are soaked in gravy or blended tomatoes tastes fine. Especially in Shephards pie or spag bol.

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Try TVP then, the little ones if they are soaked in gravy or blended tomatoes tastes fine. Especially in Shephards pie or spag bol.
    I have not seen TVP anywhere.

Buddha Belly

We usually get it in Holland and Barrett or Sainsburys who keep it with the dried beans and lentils etc.

Hi,
    I use TVP now but at last check Morrisons done a really good mince in the green bag. I always preferred it to realeat as it is far less greasy
    The morrisons mince is actually quite nice, never liked the realeat version much either.

However my favourite has to be redwood's mince, very tasty, nice texture and not too greasy either.

I've had the Redwood's mince brucie-g, it is nice.
    I've also noticed the variations in Realeat mince...........some bags of it are definitely TOO chewy!
    They've also relaunched their 'chicken style' pieces after a long absence..........they are nothing like the original ones.........I'm a bit disappointed in them!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

What about rewood's chicken style pieces Sandra!! They are absolutely yummy IMO, I cook them with rice in the rice cooker and they come out delish!

Have you noticed a difference though in the new ones? They don't even look the same as they used to?

Sorry thought u meant realeat pieces!. To be honest I 've never had any problem getting hold of the redwood ones, and the latest ones I bought just over a week ago still have the same packaging.

Oh, dear we're getting all mixed up brucie-g..........that was my fault!

I didn't realise you were talking about 'Redwood' chicken pieces..........I read it as 'Realeat'
    Yes, I have tried the Redwood ones and they are lovely. Are you talking about the ones already cooked? You can eat them cold or cook them?

Probably not helped by me missing the d out damn keyboard!!!!!!! They are ready cooked but as I said my favourite way of eating them is cooked with rice. Having said that they taste gorgeous eaten anyhow!

I unfortnately have no other choice than releat atm. All the supermarkets around here have stopped stocking own brand mince. I don't mind it, although it is more expensive!!!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote brucie-g View Post
    Probably not helped by me missing the d out damn keyboard!!!!!!! They are ready cooked but as I said my favourite way of eating them is cooked with rice. Having said that they taste gorgeous eaten anyhow!
    I didn't even notice you'd left the 'd' out...............I really should wear glasses while I'm using the computer!

Emzy, their stuff is very expensive isn't it? That's why I'm all for the supermarkets selling more vegan stuff. I think while it is mainly sold in health food shops etc it will remain overpriced!

i haven't had RealEat mince for a while because my local store stopped selling it. i've been having either Linda McCartney mince, which isn't bad but a bit chewy, or Asda own brand which doesn't say vegan on the packet but the ingredients look fine. i haven't had much luck getting hold of the Redwood mince.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote sandra View Post
    I didn't even notice you'd left the 'd' out...............I really should wear glasses while I'm using the computer!

Emzy, their stuff is very expensive isn't it? That's why I'm all for the supermarkets selling more vegan stuff. I think while it is mainly sold in health food shops etc it will remain overpriced!
    My tesco stocks releat mince and it's still £2.39 a frigging bag!!! Everything else is made by AstraZenneca...oh whoops...I meant Quorn!

Gorilla - You can get the Redwoods stuff in the chilled section of pretty much every H&B I have ever been in. Again it is expensive!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

The last bag of realeat was really rather unpleasent. Far too big and chewy
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Gorilla - You can get the Redwoods stuff in the chilled section of pretty much every H&B I have ever been in. Again it is expensive!
    i haven't been to H&B for ages actually, so i guess i haven't seen it in there.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    The last bag of realeat was really rather unpleasent. Far too big and chewy

I've noticed that too..........they seem to be making the mince and the 'chicken' style pieces differently!

The realeat stuff just seems to be so inconsistent, some times it seems rubbery, im using the morrisons brand now and really like it.

I ve the stuff but it does change from pack to pack. Its a nice surprise tho....
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

I've not had a problem with inconsistency, and I use it (Releat VM) regularly. It's a basic staple in my cooking and I LOVE it. Maybe that's because I always use it in a sauce (e.g. Chilli or noodles) where it's always softened with liquid.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Asda own brand which doesn't say vegan on the packet but the ingredients look fine.
    I can't see anything non-vegan in Sainsbury's brand but it's labeled vegetarian and not vegan.

I don't eat it but I was just thinking it's a real shame if all you unhappy customers aren't giving feedback to the people at Realeat. They should be told why their sales are falling.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

indeed, I wholeheartedly agree on that one, make my feelings well known at my local sainsbury's when I'm not happy, and things happen about it, so hopefully things will happen here too

Buddha Belly

Quote Marrers View Post
    I don't eat it but I was just thinking it's a real shame if all you unhappy customers aren't giving feedback to the people at Realeat. They should be told why their sales are falling.
    Good point, i moan about stuff and never mention it. I will e-mail today.
    There are companies i boycott but never have told them they have lost another customer.

Is there a link for companies that are boycotted? If so shall we start one?

I have been in contact with Haldane the company who produce the Realeat brand, admittedly not about the difference in the products. I was told by them about 6 months ago that the Realeat 'chicken' style pieces were back on sale but it's only within the past couple of weeks that I've actually seen them in the shops here.
    I might get in contact again and ask about the difference in quality of the mince and 'chicken' pieces.............hopefully the more of us who voice an opinion the more notice they'll take.

The price doesn't help either because realeat mince can vary anywhere from 1.89 to 2.89(holland & barrett) whereas morrisons brand is 1.55 a bag

Good point, i moan about stuff and never mention it. I will e-mail today.
    There are companies i boycott but never have told them they have lost another customer.

Is there a link for companies that are boycotted? If so shall we start one?
    that sounds good, though there may be legal implications, not too sure about that though

Quote sindii View Post
    The price doesn't help either because realeat mince can vary anywhere from 1.89 to 2.89(holland & barrett) whereas morrisons brand is 1.55 a bag
    Same weight?

I had Realeat vege mince in my shepherd's pie earlier.

mmmmmmm!

Sorry to drag up such an old thread but I did a serach and this was the one I have found.

Has anyone had trouble finding Realeat mince lately? Both of my local tesco dont sell anymore and neither do Sainsburys. Just checked waitrose and Morrisons and they dont either.

I have tried Morrisons own brand but I dont like it. With virtually no cooking at all it just goes all soft and unpleasant. The only place I've seen Realeat lately is Holland & Barratt, but there is no way I'm spending £2.89 on it.

Also, just checked on the Asda website and it says their vegemince may contain egg.

I got some from Tesco in feb, not used it yet, also got some vegan labelled own brand stuff from there too, again not used yet
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I got some Realeat mince in a supermarket the other day. I think it was Waitrose but it is possible it might have been Sainsburys.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Maybe it is just a local issue where I am then? I didnt know about the tesco own brand vegan mince as I'm so used to looking for realeat. Will give that a look, though.

my closest tesco is appalling. It has one veggie freezer filled with quorn linda mcC sausages and lasagna and a few own brand stuff made with milk and eggs and one vegan vegetable burger we can have. So only the saucages and burgers being vegan. While surrey quays (changed around from before) they have about three full sized freezers with loads of choice and they even have own brand vegan chicken fillets that are quite tasty.

I can't find it anywhere anymore, even H&B don't do it anymore, only chicken strips and vegebacon.
    My local tesco is a joke too Bradders, theres nothing in there at all apart from Quorn!!
    As for the Sainsburys, the only items are the linda mc sausages and sausage rolls (yup vegan again apparently) sainsburys own nut cutlets and the new basics vegeburgers (great, but fall apart)

I like the Sainsburys Nut Cutlets Rakey.

The H&B in Didcot do the RealEat VegeMince but as St. George mentions above it is expensive.

I like the Linda M. mince but that seems to have disappeared from my local Sainsburys too.

Has anyone tried any of the dried soya minces?
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Buddha Belly

We ventured into the Baldock Tescos today and they still had Realeat Vegemince. It was nearly all we could have from their frozen shelves as everything else was for half-arsed's (vegetarians) I find realeat stuff too greasy and unappatising. But I am positive there are thing i eat that some of you find vile....

Buddha Belly

Quote beanstew View Post
    I like the Sainsburys Nut Cutlets Rakey.

The H&B in Didcot do the RealEat VegeMince but as St. George mentions above it is expensive.

I like the Linda M. mince but that seems to have disappeared from my local Sainsburys too.

Has anyone tried any of the dried soya minces?
    What do you mean by dried soya minces?
    TVP?

I've got a box of granose dried soya mince, quite useful for making meatloafs for slicing up on sandwiches and stuff

What do you mean by dried soya minces?
    TVP?
    H&B do packets of "Savoury Flavoured Soya Protein Mince". It's dried and looks a little like very dry soil. It's labeled "suitable for vegans". I have bought some but haven't got around to trying it yet.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Buddha Belly

That is TVP, I think.
    It is ok tasting if used in a bigger recipe. Use the smaller sized pieces. There are two sizes: one is about 1cm2 the other is 1mm2. There are also two colours light brown and dark brown. The best are the dark smaller ones. If you put 1/3 of a cup in a jug and cover it in gravy it makes a great base for shepherds pie and if you just cover with water then put a tin of toms on top it is a good base for chilli's and spag bols.

It is a good filler really and an ok source of protein, as it has a lot less fat than frozen faux minces.

Sorry if I have just gone on about something completely wrong or insulted intelligence.