Thread: Chicken Eggs

Default Chicken Eggs

Today, just as we were about to leave for work, my dog found a chicken in the yard. It wasn't moving, and I didn't see it breathing so I thought it was dead. I touched a stick to it gently, and nothing. Then as I was watching it, it got up and ran away leaving 9 eggs. I didn't know what to do, and I had to go to work, so I just hoped it would come back.

At work, my manager, who used to raise chickens said it should come back, but if not to bring them inside and keep them warm with a light or heater. I came back on my lunch break, 3 hours later, and no chicken. I talked to my mom who assured me they were already dead. I couldn't just leave them, so I decided to bring them in like my manager suggested just in case.

I'll feel absolutely miserable to know I killed 9 chickens. My mom says sometimes they lay on them even if they're not fertilized, but my manager said not. Help! Is therre any way I can tell if they're fertilized, and if they're still alive?!

When I tried to move them in, I cracked 2 of them, so I know there's no chance for them! I just feel absolutely aweful. I have to run back to work though. HELP! They're in my bathroom with a heater just in case.

Default Re: Chicken Eggs

oh sniv. there really is only so much you can do...you have such a big heart. i would just try to keep them warm and if they didn't do anything within the next few days...well i don't know...eek what an awful situation...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I'm sorry I don't know anything about chicken eggs really. I would be freaked out if I were you Sniv. Maybe try to contact Farm Sanctuary in NY? I'm sure they would know what to suggest. Or even any vet should be able to advise. At least I would hope vets would have a clue about that.

The mother of a girl at work has an incubator and has raised chickens, so I might turn them over to her if it seems likely they are okay. I don't know though. I'm keeping the cracked ones just in case, because I swear I saw one move. My eyes could just be really tired, but it looks wiggly. I'd hate to think I'm watching it die, but I don't know what to do. They are warm now, and I have turned them. However, they'll be born deformed if you don't turn them as they develop, but if you turn them right before they hatch, you could hurt them! So many uncertainties!

I was just so scared to reach into the ground ti pick up the eggs. If I had just gotten over it, I wouldn't have cracked the eggs. Oh yeah, 3 are cracked, not 2.

Quote missbettie View Post
    oh sniv. there really is only so much you can do...you have such a big heart. i would just try to keep them warm and if they didn't do anything within the next few days...well i don't know...eek what an awful situation...
    Even if they are all dead, what do I do with them? I can't bring myself to throw 9 dead babies in the garbage or the yard. If I bury them, they'll be dug up by the chickens...but maybe that's a good thing and they'll know what to do. When I came back home there were a ton of chickens in the yard, but none the mom. I just wanted to shout "WILL ONE OF YOU PLEASE SIT ON THESE EGGS!!!!"

Okay, I just candled them, and there was a dark spot in the middle with no veins. This usually mean they are unfertilized, but they could just be too young to show. I SOO hope they're unfertilized!! (What will I do with them if they're unfertilized? Surely they won't eat eggs that smell like me.)

cobweb

hens do sometimes sit on them when they're unfertilized, we used to have hens that did that.

Is there a cockerel about the place?.

Oh yeah, plenty all over. Today I swear I saw a small dark spot inside the yolk that wasn't there yesterday, but I could be imagining it. Who knows. In the meantime, my bathroom is a steam room.

cobweb

sorry if that was a stoopid question and good luck with the eggs!

What happened with the eggs??

Nothing happened. They were either unfertilized or died.

Oh, thanks.