Thread: Vegan in the North East (and hot soy milk)

Default Vegan in the North East (and hot soy milk)

Hi all, i've recently (6 weeks or so ago) become vegan and i'm finding it surprisingly easy but there are a few things which i find a bit tricky. Mainly sourcing a few ingredients and finding places to eat lunch out. Are there any other vegans in the north east on here? I'm in Durham.

Also i'm wondering if anyone can recommend a soy or non dairy milk that can be heated without suddenly tasting of feet...i really want to make G&B hot choc but i've tried the alpro and the sainsbury's own soy and they just don't taste nice when you heat them up. I'm finding the same problem when i put them on my porrige too...any ideas?

pathologist

Default Re: Vegan in the North East (and hot soy milk)

It is just a matter of personal taste - I like Plamil Soy milk - other people here like rice milk, oat milk, almond milk, other nut milks etc. Also some people find it helps if you don't have the hot chocolate or whatever for a few months and then try it so you don't remember what it tasted like before. But really it is a matter of finding something you like - and it will be different for different people! Thats my view anyway.

Stu

Welcome Kicko. I spent a decade in the North East (Scumderland and Newcastle), but I had some good friends in Durham and Chester-le-Street, so I was there quite a bit. Durham is lovely.

Welcome to veganforum.

Hello and welcome, kicksywicksy. As mjnewbould said try different types of non-dairy milks and hopefully you'll find something that doesn't taste to you like warm feet

hi there

there's one of those tapas places just down from the cathedral, i've eaten there and managed to find plenty to fill me up. and there's a vegetarian cafe on the green by the cathedral too - don't know if they do vegan though!

welcome also!

hi, i've found warm Alpro to be very nice in hot chocolate. it's all just a matter of finding the one you like best (admittedly a potentially costly process, but one many of us have been through as new vegans!).

welcome to the board
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thanks all - I'll go out there and try various things...also might make my way up to the veggie cafe too.

Heat up alpro soya chocolate flavour in a saucepan (remove from heat before it boils) for a yummy hot choc.

There are couple of vegan and veggie cafes in the Heaton area of Newcastle if you are ever over this end, also a couple of social groups. Check out the Newcastle Vegans thread.
    That's where I am.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

There's a big vegan event happening in April, the North East Vegan Gathering no. 2. You'll be able to meet lots of new people there, check out this link:

http://www.vegne.co.uk/vegan-gathering/

As mentioned vegne.co.uk is a good place to start
    I know durham is a little behind vegan wise compared to newcastle but its getting better as the good folks in vegne are finding new places all the time

there is a good soya milk for tea & coffee from a vegan store in the north east but they do deliver all over the country anyway & just opened a shop too for veggie shoes etc & vegan soc approved

Cheers

jj

I don't know much about the North East (Which from here is South-East anyway :P) but I do know about soy milk - Soya Magic (new one, only available from Tesco and Sommerfield for some reason) is apparently specially designed so as not to go bad in tea and coffee, so one could assume it heats up quite nicely too. They do a chocolate variety which is really nice and would probably be good heated up. Sommerfield are selling it for £1 a litre just now so get in quick!

found it Cafe Expert is one that is designed for tea & coffee

also use soyjade the other day and that didnt go funny in hot drinks

JJ

The NEVG 2010 is happening again near Morpeth, there will be open days Sat 3rd and Easter Sunday 4th April. Anyone who isn't already staying there is welcome to come to those. The events page will be updated soon,

http://www.vegne.co.uk/vegan-gathering/

Some new events have been added, there is a party and buffet on the Saturday evening, and 2 raw food workshops by Kate Magic, more details here:

http://www.vegne.co.uk/vegan-gathering/events.html

Hi,
    I now live down south but I am from Middlesbrough so I am up there a few times a year. Just wanted to recommend a couple of veggie places I've been to with great vegan options...
    http://www.the-waiting-room.co.uk/
    http://www.helmsleywalledgarden.org....inehouse-cafe/

hi! i'm from the north east too (seaham) it's pretty hard cos the north doesn't cater for vegans as much as the south do. i've been an on off vegan for a few years (this time is for good!) and pretty much, unless you have a bowl of chips or a plain potato with beans, the only place i know that has a decent vegan dish i sunderland (my nearest city) is wetherspoons!
    (has anyone ever tried the spinach chickpea & sweet potato curry there? its totally vegan if you get popadoms instead of naan bread!)
    but when i was in london and brighton there were loads of places to eat for vegans. maybe something the north should look at improving :P

anyway, try heating rice milk. i drink rice milk all the time (i dont like the taste soya milk :P) it tastes nice in tea so i imagine it'll be nice warmed up!