Thread: B12 (and 16% protein) in goldenberries (Physalis peruviana )

Default B12 (and 16% protein) in goldenberries (Physalis peruviana )

According to this site, goldenberries contain some B12:

The fruit is rich in vitamin A (3000 I.U. of carotene per 100g), vitamin C and some of the B complex (thiamine, niacin and B12)[196]. The protein and phosphorus levels are exceptionally high for a fruit[196]. The fruit is a berry about 2cm in diameter[200]. The dried fruit is said to be a substitute for yeast[183]. If picked carefully with the calyx intact, the fruit can be stored for 3 months or more[196]. The fruit is about 2cm in diameter[196].
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

More on goldenberries here:

Goldenberries are also called cape gooseberry or agauaymanto berry. Locally called mullaca, uvilla, uchuva, the plant is an annual herb indigenous to many parts of the tropics, including the Amazon. It can be found on most continents in the tropics, including Africa, Asia, and the Americas. It grows up to 1 m high, bears small, cream-colored flowers, and produces small, light yellowish-orange, edible fruit. The leaves of the plant have many ethnobotanical uses around the world. The goldenberry is one of the first plants to pioneer degraded areas. Its robustness and adaptability could lead to cultivation in many now unused marginal areas.

The fruit is found in markets from Venezuela to Chile, and the plants have been grown on limited scale around the world in warm climates. Goldenberries are succulent golden fruits the size of marbles. They are protected by papery husks resembling Chinese lanterns. Currently in areas where they are grown they are largely regarded as backyard fruits for children, but upscale European markets pay premium prices for them, dipping them in chocolate to decorate pastries. They make excellent jams, which are popular in India and Africa.

Dried, they make a delicious, tart, and highly nutritious and exotic "raisin." They are high in phosphorous, vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B6, and B12. They are also extremely high in protein (16%) for a fruit.

Default Re: B12 in goldenberries (Physalis peruviana )

Default Re: B12 in goldenberries (Physalis peruviana ) (and 16% protein)

The first known source I know of that mentions B12 in Physalis Peruviana is
    Lost Crops of the Incas, by H. Popenoe. (National Academy Press 1990 ISBN 0-309-04264-X) I haven't seen it, but is said to be a very good book about some lesser known food plants of South America.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/...alis+peruviana

NB: All parts of the plant, except the fruit, are poisonous!

Rndm

nervine

all good and well but where can you buy them and im guessing they cost an arm and a leg

Thanks for bumping this thread, I just bought some of it's seeds off ebay to grow next year.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Good info as always korn.
    Thanks... I should add that the info isn't mine, and, as (almost) always with reports about B12 levels, this kind of 'info' is very incomplete and not backed up by reliable, scientific studies - which is why vegans, lacto-vegetarians and meat eaters IMO should check their B12 levels. Eating something with B12 in isn't necessarily enough for any of these groups...

There are no reliable studies saying that relying on any kind of diet (alone) would warrant enough B12!

i love physalis. yes they can be pricey but i managed to get some reduced perfect ones the other day. they're just like fruity cherry tomatoes.

mmmmm

Any ideas on growing these? Can they be grown indoors? I'm very interested in this fruit.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Quote rantipole View Post
    Any ideas on growing these? Can they be grown indoors? I'm very interested in this fruit.

Cheers,
    rant
    I'm growing some, I'm growing them indoors at the moment but will be moving them outside soon. One of the links korn gave says to grow it as you would tomatoes.

They seem pretty easy to grow, every seed I planted germinated, and quickly too. Don't make the mistake of putting them in too small a pot though, they grow very quickly.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Default Re: B12 (and 16% protein) in goldenberries (Physalis peruviana )

Are these good as a sub for some or all tomatoes in recipes? I can't say I enjoy eating them raw on their own, which is the only way I've tried them so far.

wow. i dind´t know that tiny little fruit was THAT good.... gotta buy some then.... i love tropical fruits

Thanks to Risker, I've just discovered this thread.
    I bought some of these for the first time on Saturday. I got quite a large bag for 50p in Tesco. I'd never seen them before and just got them to try and because they were so cheap.
    I have to say they are really lovely and I have eaten the entire bag, and that was before I knew how good they were for me!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I like physalis too, in smoothies They're a bit too sharp on their own!

Since most conventional non-organic fruit doesn't seem to contain B12, what makes physalis so special?

Is it because they're in their own little papery, dirty wrapper?

Plus, I love them 'on their own', they are so citrusey and sweet at the same time. I bought 2 more lots today.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote rantipole View Post

Cheers,
    rant
    I've never grown them before either (am going to try this year) but here's some more info:
    Native to:Brazil
    Eventual height:1 m
    Eventual width:1 m
    Hardiness:Tender
    Sun:Full sun
    Soil:Any moist, humus-rich, well drained soil
    Cane:Brazil
    Flowering period:June to July
    Sow:Feb to April
    (Info from Eden Project 'Dwarf Gold' seed packet).

Apparentely they do okay in conservatories, so as long as they get their sunshine, they'll prob. be okay

Prawnil

Like Risker said, they're incredibly easy to grow. I grew some by accident. I'd thrown a mouldy couple of fruit from the bottom of a shop bought packet into a small window ledge trough (indoor), forgot about them, and within some short period of months the window was near-enough covered by the plants. Very much like tomato, they needed supports very early because they grew super fast vertically. And fruited, smaller than the parent plant.
    (The same is true, apart from 'tomato-like,' of goji berries! A weigh-shop nearby once stocked them, so I took a palmfull from what'd fallen onto the floor and planted them inside - kaboom- goji berries for free)