Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bread maker / machine recipes

Default Bread maker / machine recipes

Ive been making bread using a bread maker for ages but not a vegan bread.

Any Ideas what I can use when making bread as a substitute for milk powder . Do I even need a substitute?

Someone else was having this problem with breadmakers. When he made wholemeal bread without milk it was flat and heavy - after substituting milk powder with soya milk powder apparently the bread was fine. So if you can find any (try www.veganstore.com if you cannot find any locally to you) try it with the soya milk powder in!!

Talking home-made bread

anyone know any simple vegan bread recipes? my mom just bought a bread machine and i've pretty much given up on the supermarkets around here, so i figure i'll just start trying to make my own.
    Last edited by Korn; Jun 16th, 2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

Here is a link. What type did your mom buy? I was looking at a few bread machines earlier today. You can also make pizza dough in bread machines.

I love baking bread but have not done it in a while. I did it the old fashioned way but have been thinking of buying a bread machine. I love sprouted bread.

it's a sunbeam. it looks fairly easy to use. i'm so stoked. all i need is bread flour and yeast. i can't wait to get baking.
    "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

That was one of the models I was looking at. It received great reviews on the epinions site and people said it was easy. I decided to purchase the Breadman TR2200C because of the great reviews, and the extra’s (200 programmable combinations.) I also liked the 24-hour timer.

You can purchase prepared bread machine mix at some grocery, department stores, and online but I prefer making everything if possible.

It will be interesting to compare quality of the breads made with the bread machine vs. making breads the regular way. It definitely will save a lot of time. I am curious to see how the sprouted breads will turn out using the bread machine.

~~ETA~~

I hope you enjoy the bread machine! I love the smell of fresh baked bread.

was there a recipe booklet in with the machine? all you need to do is follow the recipes and leave out the powdered dried milk or replace it with powdered dried soy milk. i generally dont bother replacing the recipes with egg in, i just dont do those
    substitute any butter for vegan marg too.

i have made cinnamon and dried fruit bread, sun dried tomato, herb bread, the combinations are endless.

enjoy!

Quote cedarblue
    was there a recipe booklet in with the machine? all you need to do is follow the recipes and leave out the powdered dried milk or replace it with powdered dried soy milk. i generally dont bother replacing the recipes with egg in, i just dont do those
    substitute any butter for vegan marg too.

i have made cinnamon and dried fruit bread, sun dried tomato, herb bread, the combinations are endless.

enjoy!
    Thanks I hope I will enjoy it. There is a recipe book included. I bought it on ebay this morning. I should receive it this week. I plan on making Vegan breads/sprouted breads to take with me this Thanksgiving when I visit family.

I don't live in the uk but this website is based in the uk. The sprouted breads are listed under 'other bread products'.
    I found my sprouted breads at a local health food store in the frozen foods section near the prepared meals. You could ask your local grocery store about carrying them. I did that with my local grocery store in regards to vegetarian items a few years ago. A few months later they started carrying that brand. In fact they started adding more vegetarian/vegan friendly products. I rarely shop there anymore but noticed it the last time I was in the store.

Default Re: Buying bread shouldn't be this hard

I recomend the Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook, it's really good and a lot of recipes are either vegan or just a matter of using margerine instead of butter.

I recomend panasonic bread machines. I have this one and it's liked by lots and lots of people on the interweb.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Default Re: Buying bread shouldn't be this hard

I got a Breadman bread maker as an early bday present. I already made a loaf of Hodgson Mills Rye bread in it. It's yummy I hope to keep using my bread maker because the bread is definitely better than store bought!
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Default Re: Homemade bread... Mmmmmm

I don't get the whole bread machine thing... I love to make it with my own two hands. It's also very stress relieving to knead the dough
    If you don't like making it, why not just buy it?

Was it just the shops I went to, when I was in York, or doesn't the UK shops have good bread? All I could find was toast/white bread...

ahah the UK is famous for not having good bread
    I love too making myself the bread, it takes time but you can make your bread with all you want..
    A stupid question: What does the bread machine do exactly?

tabitha

Quote ScandinaVegan
    I don't get the whole bread machine thing... I love to make it with my own two hands. It's also very stress relieving to knead the dough
    If you don't like making it, why not just buy it?

Was it just the shops I went to, when I was in York, or doesn't the UK shops have good bread? All I could find was toast/white bread...
    Its not that I dont like making it, its just that Im a really crap cook. If the bread machine does it for me I feel like Ive done it myself somehow (its a "me" thing Scandina).

heat13

Default Re: Making your own Bread

Here is my sister's bread recipe. It is awesome! She uses a bread machine but you can make it by hand also.

Suzie's Super Bread:
    Put the water in first: 2 1/2 cups and 2 3/4 cups if you use spelt flour
    2 1/4 cups whole wheat, buckwheat or spelt flour
    3/4 c. ground flax seeds
    1 cup of "the mix" *You can be very creative here and combine any types of whole grains I use/have used (wheat germ, wheat bran, oatmeal, almond flour, hazelnut flour, sunflower flour, oat bran, rye berries, cracked wheat, soy flour (don't use more than 1/4 soy flour or it will taste funny)) textured vegetable protein, rye oats, etc. Basically any whole grain...I have even ground up whole soy beans and pumpkin seeds and made that into flour. Use a little of everything or pick 4 things and use a forth a cup of everything. Or get a big container and dump in a little or everything and scoop out a cup at a time, that is what i do.
    1 1/2 cups raw pecans, raw walnuts, or a combo of each
    2 1/2 cups organic, raisins, golden or regular, or mixed.
    1 tsp. wheat gluten
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tbsp canola, olive, or safflower oil
    1 tbsp agave nectar or black strap molasses or raw honey
    1 Tbsp Yeast (Fill your yeast compartment up with yeast after you are done and have the pan inserted.)

i cant remember how much ours was we got it at cost price but so that was about 150 or something but they range just like everything else but its worth looking into.
    good luck
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

heat13

I ordered mine off ebay or overstock and I think it was like $90-$100

If you make a lot of bread, it's well worth it. Saves lots of time and you can just put all the ingredients in and let it do it's thing.

cobweb

i got a decent Morphy Richards breadmaker for Ł40 with free delivery from amazon.
    it's very good.

The cheapest breadmakers start at around Ł25, so that would probably be about US$40.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

Those of you who use a bread maker: do you only make one loaf at a time? I've never seen one in action.

cobweb

yes, one loaf at a time. With mine you can choose 1lb, 1.5lb, or a 2lb. It takes a few hours from start to finish but the results are usually good and the smell makes the house so cosy!.

Oh, I absolutely agree about the wonderful smell of home made bread! I usually make four loaves at a time, since I bake them in the oven. That lasts us (more than) a week. I enjoy the handling of the dough too much to use a bread maker -- is it really that you just pour the ingredients in there, and hit "start" and after some hours it has baked the bread for you? Sounds cool, but I would miss making buns, baguettes, ciabattas, etc. I guess that turning it on in the evening and waking up to a kitchen smelling wonderfully and having freshly made bread is quite an experience, though.

heat13

Quote ynef View Post
    Oh, I absolutely agree about the wonderful smell of home made bread! I usually make four loaves at a time, since I bake them in the oven. That lasts us (more than) a week. I enjoy the handling of the dough too much to use a bread maker -- is it really that you just pour the ingredients in there, and hit "start" and after some hours it has baked the bread for you? Sounds cool, but I would miss making buns, baguettes, ciabattas, etc. I guess that turning it on in the evening and waking up to a kitchen smelling wonderfully and having freshly made bread is quite an experience, though.

Yes, you just put everything in there and it does the work for you (which is great if you're short on time). I have a Panosonic machine which has lasted me for years! It has different options- so you can make dough also. I use it for pizza dough alot and it works great!

you can make jam in them too!

cobweb

and cake!

Default Bread maker / machine recipes

I just got a bread maker (sadly all it's recipes are non vegan) so I improvised based on the yeast's recipe. Unfortunately the first attempt it rose and fell and the second it rose a bit and that was it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 1/2 pint water, tsp salt, tsp sugar, tbsp sunflower oil, four and a bit cups of strong brown flour, 1tsp of unrefined caster sugar and 1tsp of fast yeast.

does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

cobweb

Default Re: bread maker

are you putting the ingredients in as per the breadmaker's strict instructions?

i make most of my own bread in a Morphy Richards breadmaker, i follow their instructions pretty much to the letter and it comes out great 99% of the time. Usually the 1% is when the water i use is a little too hot (hotter than hand warm).

The only way i deviate is that i use their (Morphy Richards) white bread recipe but change the flour to 50/50 white and wholemeal as i find this gives a really nice taste and texture without being too heavy and dense. The recipe is pretty much vegan except for milk powder. I leave the out and just put a tiny bit of soya milk into the water.

I measure in cups (that came with my machine), in this order (and apparently the order is quite important):

1 and a half cups of hand warm water (with a little soya milk included)
    4 tbsp sunflower oil
    2 tbsp sugar (the recipe calls for 3 but that makes it too sweet imo)
    1 tsp salt
    4 cups of flour (in my case 2 white, 2 wm)
    - 'seal' in the water with the flour to make a dry barrier for the yeast -
    *only then* add the yeast, 1 and a quarter tsp

hope this helps?

Is your yeast fresh? Old yeast will stop your loaf from rising as I know from experience, and it doesn't seem to keep that long, only a month or two, once open. Are you measuring the ingredients carefully?

ETA you might be better off trying to adapt a recipe that came with the machine than using the yeast one. I can type mine in later although it sounds as if I have a different model (with some vegan recipes in the book!).

pathologist

I do bread without the maker - though I started with one and got fed up with it (hard to wash out). I basically use flour, salt, yeast and water and it always seems to work - but as Harpy says the yeast is critical and if it does not do its stuff then the bread will come out like a brick. I personally have never used the sugar - I can't see why its needed! I do sometimes put oil in or seeds in - whatever I fancy at the time. I use loads of water (400ml for 400g flour) and that seems to make it light and soft inside.

i have the morphy richards machine too so I'll give that a try, I bought the yeast yesterday so it should be fine. I understand the principles of yeast from brewing and the sugar should aid the process as the yeast eats sugar, pees alcohol and burps co2 so more sugar I assume would mean a fluffier loaf. Just realised though, I used cold water, that probably didn't help matters.

I'll give your way a try CW

Yes perhaps try with water at room or body temperature next time.

I do use sugar and it certainly shouldn't stop the bread from rising, but I have read that it isn't critical to activating the yeast. (In fact I tend to make an "overnight sponge" first with just flour, water and yeast and I can see that the yeast is active in that without sugar. I'll tell you about that later though as I don't want to confuse matters )

pathologist

Yes - of course I know why the suger might be needed in theory - its just that in practice - I'm not convinced it makes a difference - at least not in my experiments!

mine's a kenwood.

here's my recipe and it never fails to rise.

it's for a white loaf, if i make a mixed one i use 12oz white & 4oz wholemeal flour & a smidge more water.

1 lb white flour (i use dove's farm organic)
    1 & 1/2 tsp salt
    3 tsp sugar
    1 7g sachet dried yeast
    300ml warm tap water
    1 oz pure marge

put water in bottom, put on flour then make a well in the middle for the yeast. add the other ingredients and off you go. i use setting 3, crusty large loaf.
    start to finish time, 3hrs 10mins.

good luck

cobweb

this reminds me, i must go and make a loaf otherwise i'll have to pay Ł1.40 for another tasteless bag of pap from Tescos tomorrow.

did everything as you said CW, it fell in a bit and never fully rose, wonder if my yeast isn't that good

What was non-vegan in the recipes?

If it's milk powder - just skip it. Never saw the point of it when I wasn't vegan.

I usually sub olive oil for melted butter, otherwise I use rape seed oil.

Never seen vitamin c pills that aren't orange flavoured, so that gets skipped too.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

What sort of yeast is it? Needs to be fast acting yeast.

If it rises and falls it may be not enough salt. I use lo-salt to keep the sodium down.

cobweb

what setting do you use, Bradders?

i stay away from the 'fastbake' one and use the regular setting for a large white loaf.

sorry to hear you are still having problems.

Also the smaller loaves tend to rise proportionately better than the 2lb loaves, I think.

i used the wholemeal bread setting, 2lb loaf (realised now i forgot salt this time woops) and it's fast acting yeast

(it was milk powder that wasn't vegan)

I don't rate the wholemeal bread setting. Comes out a bit cake like.

Most wholemeal bread you buy in the shops seems to be half and half.

I generally do 1/3 white, 1/3 brown, 1/3 wholemeal and stick it on the white setting.

cobweb

right, i never use the wholemeal setting either!
    i don't like homemade bread that is 100% wholemeal, personally, i think it's too heavy, that's why i mix my white flour and also use the setting for white loaves.
    also, the salt balances out the yeast so you need to concentrate!

yeah I used to use half half, bradders.

Are you doing it on a loaf setting or a dough one? I generally just use my breadmaker to make dough and leave it to rise for as long as it needs. You might find punching it down and then letting it rise again in a warmish draught-free place produces a better result. I usually make bread rolls from my dough and they're nearly always great, unless I forget I've left them to rise and leave them overnight
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Not adding salt makes it collapse - because it rises too much initially and can't keep it up, or something can't remember exactly but it's happened to me when I didn't add enough salt. So you may be making progress, bradders

I so admire all you bread-baking people (years ago I used to make all the bread at home but without a machine). Nowadays, on my own and not eating more than 2 slices of bread a day, I go to Aldis once a week and get a lovely thin-sliced rye sourdough, or housbrot rye. There's no way I'd fancy eating white bread these days even if it is home baked.
    Eve

Mousee!!

i was seriously thinking of buying the Panasonic SD 255its expensive but i go threw bread very fast. anyone here have one?

Yes mine's an SD255 - I got it as a present last Christmas. I chose that one because it's said to be foolproof and despite not being a talented baker I get good results from it.

I did have another one on loan before that (Hinari, can't remember the model number) and got less reliable results from it but it might have been because I was learning.

I imagine if you shop around there might be some relative bargains at the moment, especially as I believe Panasonic are meant to be bringing out some new models sometime.

Mousee!!

i got it and am currently making my 5th. loaf. i would conside meself a good bread maker however the oven in my house just does not cut it at all so bread maker was a nessesity in creating a risen loaf.
    tonight im making a sundried tommy, onion garlic and olive loaf with a variety of doves farm flours. looking forward to it.

Zero

See here for bread machine recipes: http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/breads-machine/

I should try some of those other recipes - I just keep making the same one. (Obviously, I like it )