Thread: Co-op bank

Default Co-op bank

Does anyone here bank with the Co-op? I am thinking of changing to them because of their more ethical approach to banking but I was wondering what experiences people have had with them? Also how is their online/telephone banking system as I don't live near a branch

Default Re: Co-op bank

Their ethical policy is great towards everyone who isn't a customer.

I've had various problems with them over 9 years (including having no access to my money for several months). I still use and recomend them thou, I'm sure all banks are rubbish to a degree.

Internet and phone banking is fine, I haven't been into a branch in a couple of years.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

cobweb

i used to have a 'smile' account - it was ok, i could pay cheques, etc in at the post office.

i actually prefer to use a local bank now, which for me is Bank of Scotland, i just like to be able to go in and speak to a person if i have a problem. Don't know how long it will last though........

i have a credit card and current account with the Co-operative Bank. apart from a stupidly low credit limit on the card (which they allowed me to go over, thus costing me £20) i don't really have any complaints. the internet banking's pretty easy to use. i don't use their branches for my accounts but i used to use them at my old job to pay in the organisation's cheques once a week; the branches seem fine. i've never used telephone banking.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I have been with them for years, never had any bother, I use the telephone banking, the internet banking, the Link machines, and if I want to pay in any money I do it at the post office, because post office counters deal with them too. You can use most of their services via post office branches.
    When speaking to the telephone bankers I think they are based in Lancashire.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I still have an account with them and I've never had any problems. I mainly use the internet banking but I also have the direct number of the branch I have my account with and they're always really helpful (and I don't have a lot of money either ).
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

I just switched to them.

Their online banking is OK, but annoys me in 3 ways.
    1st I have to type all the info in every time, the web browser won't save any of the settings.
    2nd, the security is stupidly low. The details they ask for are:
    Sort code/account number or card number.
    2 digits from a 4 digit pin
    An answer to one of your secret questions.
    3rd, if you have a query the bank staff ask for all that info off you. I know they don't get the whole pin or all the answers, but still.

On top of that, if you're logged in and press the browser back button it logs you out! See annoyance 1!

My previous bank required a number that wasn't on my cards, followed by my choice of long alpha-numeric password, followed by 3 characters from my choice of a second long alpha-numeric password. And pressing back didn't log me out. And I could save the first two parts as a username and password in my browser. And it was still more secure than the co-op login.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I love co-op bank - I have not complaints.

Thanks for all your replies everyone, think I will be switching soon

they are really hot on service compared to my other banks & the biz accounts are really good too

they are really fussy on somethings but the account is really quick to open online & there ethics are far better than most - but not perfect

jj

The Co-op is the worst run bank for businesses in the whole world.

You ask the same question to five staff - and you get five different answers.

Just the slightest problem - and they fall apart at dealing with it.

I'm aware of their issues at running organisations/charities too.

My advice is you should be okay at basic banking. But hit a problem or two and you will know how bad they are.

They time and time again changed my business postcode (they don't know why they did that/who was responsible) - and all that meant was issues back as credit card transactions were rejected etc.

The ethical banking obviously appeals to me.

I was going to change to another ethical bank - until I found out that they were owned - by the co-op!

I have found the co-op staff - 'very basic' professionally - in comparison to others banks I have dealt with.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

I never got around to changing my bank in the end but my boyf was talking to someone the other day who said that he goes shooting (grrrr!) - birds I assume - and that the land they use is owned by the co-op!!

I'm gonna get him to find out some more details. I hope its not true as it seems a bit unethical for an ethical bank!

I 've used the co-op for over 20 years and never had any problems.
    My card/details were used by someone else once and the bank paid the money back in.
    I've always found them to be really helpful and professional on the phone.
    Ethics wise I think they come up better than the others.

Quote Linxie View Post
    I never got around to changing my bank in the end but my boyf was talking to someone the other day who said that he goes shooting (grrrr!) - birds I assume - and that the land they use is owned by the co-op!!

I'm gonna get him to find out some more details. I hope its not true as it seems a bit unethical for an ethical bank!

Please find out if its true as it is against their ethical policy

jj

cxmnz

I have used them for a current account in the past and they've always been fine and reasonable. The staff in branch are good too in my experience.

I want to switch to them for my main account as soon as I can (had an evil NatWest account since I was about 12) but haven't been enough out of my overdraft to manage it yet! They're not as competitive with things like that, but I'd rather lose out on some freebies once I've sorted my finances than continue giving NatWest my custom (even though they're actually funding me at the moment - I'll happily take their money, just not the other way round!).