Thread: Does anyone have any knowledge about stomach ulcers?

Default Does anyone have any knowledge about stomach ulcers?

Does anyone know which foods are best to eat for stomach ulcers?

I am not 100% raw all the time but I have been vegan for a year now. I am under 30 years old and I am a marathon runner and have had no health problems in the past. I have been having major back problems and pain for the past few months. I was suppose to take a perscription anti-innflammatory drug but I avoid ANY and ALL medication at all costs. However, I was in so much pain I started taking IB Profin/Advil for anti-inflammatory. Taking it so long caused an ulcer.

My symptoms with the ulcer went away completely for the last month or so when I started eating mostly green smoothies and small raw meals. However, the past two weeks I have been under tremendous stress and traveling all last week where I was not able to eat well on the road (no vegan food available so I opted to not eat if I couldn't find something on the menu). Also, I drank much more alcohol than usual since I was traveling with friends.

On the small jet home I became so motion sick and dizzy. That was 3 days ago and the past three days I have been nasesus and vomitting and having bloody stools (those stopped since yesterday though). I had not even been able to keep water down at times! I have no appetite but have been able to have homemade apple-carrot juice and a green smoothie...I forced it down!

Does anyone else here have any experience with stomach ulcers? Any help and info would be great...as I want to avoid traditional medical doctors as much as possible- esp for diet related issues. (I do talk to my aunt who has been a doctor for years just in case it is something serious).

Thank you in advance

Default Re: Does anyone have any knowledge about stomach ulcers?

Yup! I recently developed a stomach ulcer for exactly the same reasons. I have chronic arthritis (runs in the family genes) and as a result started taking ibuprofen and voltarol which caused a stomach ulcer. The first I knew of this was when I developed severe anaemia from the bleeding and hence dizziness, exhaustion, blurred vision, rapid heart beat etc etc. Started a course of iron and stopped the painkillers immediately but I really have to watch what I eat very carefully as I'm still prone to terrible indigestion and intestinal bleeding.
    First thing I did was go for a colonic irrigation which removed all the old blood in my gut and all the old garbage in my colon so there was a clean plate. I avoid all acidic foods for now to give my stomach time to heal. I stick to alkaline foods, chickpea casserole and potatoes, soya milk, wholewheat cereals, quinoa etc. I don't eat tons of fruit now and avoid fruit juices. Alcohol is a no no, it's extremely acidic. These foods need to be avoided for at least 6-12 months to allow the stomach to heal properly. Also peppermint teas and natural medications will help.
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Re: Does anyone have any knowledge about stomach ulcers?

well apparently stomach ulcers are usually caused by a bacterial infection (though acids etc will exacerbate the problem in terms of healing etc) the main way to deal with it is to avoid things which are too acidic or too alkaline as your natural acids can rebound and take a full course of antibiotics. It is extremely difficult to get a bacterial infection in the stomach due to the very acids that cause the pain once it's there. Acid imbalances caused by various things can make this easier though and any severe abbrasion of the mucous lining can too such as consuming 'foreign objects' such as by swallowing coins for a bet etc.