Thread: Thanksgiving and preschool

Default Thanksgiving and preschool

My vegan son is in his first year of preschool. I would love to hear other people's experiences dealing with turkey talk/activities in the school.

The class is pretty small, about 8 kids, and there are a couple other kids with diet restrictions due to allergies, so snacks and food aren't too much of an issue, it is more the story of thanksgiving and the activities surrounding it. For example, one of the other parents brought in a fox pelt in response to a general invitation for parents to bring in things related to "Indians".

Default Re: Thanksgiving and preschool

Wow. That's strange.

I have a kid in prekindergarten and one in daycare/preschool. And, like you, we're in Michigan. Both our kids go to school in Ann Arbor, though.

We've not had any problems yet.

We're the only vegan parents in both our kids schools, but we've made friends with the other parents quickly, and made sure both teachers really take our veganism seriously. My wife is an ex-public school teacher, so she's really good at talking to teachers and their experiences. We've not presented our veganism as just a diet thing, but as a whole way of life, so it gives us a bit of an inroad to confront things like the ussage of animal products other than foods in the classrooms.

So we've yet had any issues. But we might. I hope not (keeps fingers crossed).

The one time the teacher made cookies for everyone, she asked us to provide some egg replacer. That was it. The cookies the class made were excellent.
    context is everything

Default Re: Thanksgiving and preschool

Our kids classes have done turkey art projects, but that's about it. We actually had more troubles with easter than thanksgiving!
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.