Thread: so who says vegan diet isn't healthy

WildWitch

Default so who says vegan diet isn't healthy

Im so fed up of people telling me its unhealthy to be vegan. Iv been vegan for about 3 years now, veggie since the age of 13. Before i went vegan i always suffered with aneimia, always being told by the gp i needed more iron. Since going vegan iv not had any problem with that.

Maybe its cause i take more care of getting the right nutrients since going vegan i dunno.

Just had blood tests done (due to thyroid probs) and i have absolutly no deficiancies, no aneimia and im considered to be very healthy indeed, blood pressure says im fit as a fiddle and ecg shows no probs whatsoever apart from the thyroid it seems im perfect. Even my cholesteral is normal, not bad for a fat lass eh!

Go vegans

Default Re: so who says vegan diet isnt healthy

Great news! Glad to hear you're in tip-top condition apart from the thyroid

Go vegans indeed!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

WildWitch

my mums the worst, she is veggie but is totaly against veganism. She always has loads of articles telling me how unhealthy my bones and joints will be if i dont eat dairy. Saves them for me for when i visit her lol.

Being healthy is great!

I get that kind of stuff all the time. I have a lot of guy friends that think I must be weak and frail due to my veganism. But I'm stronger and in better shape than all of them. lol

WildWitch, try to prove your mother wrong with articles of your own.

WildWitch

Amazing how misinformed people are isnt it. Why do they associate meat with strengh?

do you do bjj bjjnick? in that case no wonder your in better shape than your mates

For most men, meat = manliness. It's sad.

And yes Squidgaletta, I do. I like to think it's the veganism though, heh.

Quote WildWitch View Post
    my mums the worst, she is veggie but is totaly against veganism. She always has loads of articles telling me how unhealthy my bones and joints will be if i dont eat dairy. Saves them for me for when i visit her lol.
    For me, when I still consumed dairy I had brittle fingernails that had lots of ridges, and when I walked up stairs and stuff, I had enough difficulty to the point where I would usually take the elevator, since my knees would fall to the center. After being vegan for a few weeks though, I have noticed that I can now run up stairs again, and the ridges in my fingernails are almost all gone.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm 18 BTW, and also likely allergic to dairy, but I probably won't find that out because the test would require either drawing blood or ingesting dairy, and it seems pretty pointless at this point anyway. See - a meat and dairy diet kills the bones and joints before you even go to college!
    Last edited by Quantum Mechanic; Nov 22nd, 2008 at 06:44 AM. Reason: edited to add info

Default Re: so who says vegan diet isn't healthy

Being vegan is great, Im diabetic so I have to have bool tests done twice a year and there is absolutley nout wrong with me.
    But im starting a new job on monday and Im really not looking forward to arguing with all those new co-workers about the merits of being Vegan though.

Sorry meant to say Blood tests not "Bool tests"

Pilaf

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Being vegan is great, Im diabetic so I have to have bool tests done twice a year and there is absolutley nout wrong with me.
    But im starting a new job on monday and Im really not looking forward to arguing with all those new co-workers about the merits of being Vegan though.
    A FIRESTORM TO PURIFY.

Sorry. Kidding. lol

People think that I must suddenly have to eat meat or dairy when I'm pregnant. It's so weird. I'm like, Nope! Been vegan for 16+ years and have 4 healthy vegan kids! That usually shuts them up.
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.

Quote BJJNick View Post
    Being healthy is great!

I get that kind of stuff all the time. I have a lot of guy friends that think I must be weak and frail due to my veganism. But I'm stronger and in better shape than all of them. lol

WildWitch, try to prove your mother wrong with articles of your own.

Unhappy Re: so who says vegan diet isnt healthy

Quote WildWitch View Post
    Amazing how misinformed people are isnt it. Why do they associate meat with strengh?
    I wish I knew! I also wonder how some people who claimed to have become vegan and then gone back to eating animal products because of "weakness" and bad health manage to mess up as they do.

Readers of the forum from the UK might be familiar with George Monbiot's article in "The Guardian" about his attempts to go vegan. He claims to have suffered in this way and also states that the alleged privations of veganism challenged his mental heath. Surely he can't be serious?!!

Unfortunately this whole episode received quite a bit of publicity with Monbiot retreating to a 'reluctant and selective carnivore' position advocating abstaining from environmentally unfriendly meats, such as beef and occasionally eating the flesh of the obscure tilapia fish instead! As I remember it there was little or no refutation of the Monbiot position by vegans. Maybe next time trash like this appears in a national newspaper we should be a little more proactive.

Quote BJJNick View Post
    For most men, meat = manliness. It's sad.
    +1

Sometimes I wonder how many women are turned off by my veganism...

Smile Re: so who says vegan diet isnt healthy

Quote Fuhzy View Post
    +1

Sometimes I wonder how many women are turned off by my veganism...
    I'm quiute an old lady now and have been married for over 35 years (to a vegetarian), but I really can't see how any woman a vegan man would like to have a relationship with could possibly be turned off by it.

Surely, Fuhzy, you would not want to kiss a carnivore, you never know what bits of bone and gristle you might find lurking in her mouth, and a vegetarian or vegan woman would surely find your ethical stance positive. Anyway, vegetarians, and especially vegans are so much CLEANER. That, to me puts them way ahead in the sex appeal stakes.

Quote Redveg993 View Post
    I'm quiute an old lady now and have been married for over 35 years (to a vegetarian), but I really can't see how any woman a vegan man would like to have a relationship with could possibly be turned off by it.

Surely, Fuhzy, you would not want to kiss a carnivore, you never know what bits of bone and gristle you might find lurking in her mouth, and a vegetarian or vegan woman would surely find your ethical stance positive. Anyway, vegetarians, and especially vegans are so much CLEANER. That, to me puts them way ahead in the sex appeal stakes.

In general though, the majority of American women look down on veganism. This culture has been conditioned to think big hamburgers and big pick-up trucks are manly. God bless marketing and the people that fall for it.

The other day at work some kid was talking about a hamburger. Some really large burger that BK sells. The convo ended with him saying "I feel like a real man when I eat that hamburger"

IReaders of the forum from the UK might be familiar with George Monbiot's article in "The Guardian" about his attempts to go vegan. He claims to have suffered in this way and also states that the alleged privations of veganism challenged his mental heath. Surely he can't be serious?!!

Unfortunately this whole episode received quite a bit of publicity with Monbiot retreating to a 'reluctant and selective carnivore' position advocating abstaining from environmentally unfriendly meats, such as beef and occasionally eating the flesh of the obscure tilapia fish instead! As I remember it there was little or no refutation of the Monbiot position by vegans. Maybe next time trash like this appears in a national newspaper we should be a little more proactive.
    i don't read any newspapers because they're all rubbish, but if i'd heard about this i would certainly have sent them a letter. shame as Monbiot talks a lot of sense about some things.

that's quite a generalisation! i've met a few vegans that i would definitely not describe as 'clean'
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

WildWitch

hehehe i can think of two very very dirrrrrty vegan guys i know ;-)

Vegan guys are haaawwwt

I wish I knew! I also wonder how some people who claimed to have become vegan and then gone back to eating animal products because of "weakness" and bad health manage to mess up as they do.

Readers of the forum from the UK might be familiar with George Monbiot's article in "The Guardian" about his attempts to go vegan. He claims to have suffered in this way and also states that the alleged privations of veganism challenged his mental heath. Surely he can't be serious?!!
    I've always wondered what it is that people don't eat or eat which makes them feel so bad physically going vegan. It's not that complicated and hard to get sufficient nutrients as long as one eat varied and enough calories. I haven't lost any weight nor did I turn white or yellow.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.