Thread: UK: Where can I buy...

Default UK: Where can I buy...

Hey guys, I thought it would be kinda cool to make a thread (instead of loads of little ones), where we can ask and find out where certain products can be found, since some are not easily available...so lets see if it works... and I'll start by asking:

Where can I find unhulled sesame seeds?

Default Re: Where can I buy it - THE THREAD

unhulled sesame seeds: planet organic, maybe tesco (depends on branch)

nutritional yeast flakes: had to realize they´re hard to find in london, planet organic
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

I was leaving it for someone else to recommend something they didn't find using google - http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...Seeds_3kg.html
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I think hiddenfromview meant more places where those things can be bought locally without the need to order it. as being in london, you can get stuff anywhere and don´t need to order. you only need to know where to get what.

^ I guessed that, hence my comment about leaving it for someone that hadn't found it using google.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Thanks guys... yeah I meant in shop for convenience and stuff to avoid shipping costs... conveniently there is a planet organic not far from my uni, so i'll have them in a few days hopefully!!

Where can I buy...Vegan Chocolate Chips?

not to be facetious but its possible to make these by simply cutting up vegan chocolate into small and uniformish pieces with a sharp knife
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote KayJay View Post
    Where can I buy...Vegan Chocolate Chips?
    In Sainsburys today I saw that the "DAIRY FREE" brand who also do chocolate buttons and chocolate spread, sell chocolate chips for cooking. 99p for 100g

Quote emmapresley View Post
    not to be facetious but its possible to make these by simply cutting up vegan chocolate into small and uniformish pieces with a sharp knife
    Or you can be lazy like me and decide to make 'chocolate chunks' by smashing a chocolate bar with a hammer and replacing choc chips in recipes with chunks.

if you're in London any time soon, stock up on tropical source semisweet choc chips from whole foods Market.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    if you're in London any time soon, stock up on tropical source semisweet choc chips from whole foods Market.
    You're kidding me. I've been wondering if there's any place to get semisweet choc chips, and I was just in Whole Foods but didn't see them! Why do I always miss these things?

probably just because you are similar to me: you enter it, are overwhelmed with their choice and just don´t see everything at once.

oh, btw, i recently found the caramel syrup there.

Quote Elahiya View Post
    probably just because you are similar to me: you enter it, are overwhelmed with their choice and just don´t see everything at once.

oh, btw, i recently found the caramel syrup there.
    Hehe, yep, it's true, it is kind of overwhelming! I just think it's funny because we were there so long looking at everything and I didn't even notice the chocolate chips! Ooh, really? The syrup sounds really goo.d

Ok I'm looking for bulk wholemeal pasta, spaghetti and lentils etc. I can find huge bags of the refined shit and as for lentils...forget it!

Any ideas?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

If you can get to Harvest in Bristol/Bath (and I'm sure Infinity in Brighton), they can get bulk supplies for you - you'd need to order in advance.

Ah what an excuse to go to Brighton.....
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

helen105281

Emzy, Haven't looked myself so don't know if they would do them, but have you tried Fairhaven in Letchworth? We got a huge bag of TVP the other day so they may do bigger bags of other stuff.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Ok I'm looking for bulk wholemeal pasta, spaghetti and lentils etc. I can find huge bags of the refined shit and as for lentils...forget it!

Any ideas?
    The best and cheapest place to buy lentils in large quantities is usually Indian stores, I've noticed that even for regular sizes their stuff are extremely cheap.

Quote emzy1985 View Post

Any ideas?
    I was going to say Indian supermarkets or if you can ever get to Northampton theres a huge co op called Daily bread - Ive been going since I was a kid in the 70's and Its great there mainly vegan, odd veggie item but very cheap and they do massive bags of all dried produce and we find it a lot cheaper, think there is one in Cambridge?

http://www.ecofair.co.uk/
    Last edited by alisont; Nov 28th, 2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: to add website

Default Re: Where can I buy it - The Thread

indian stores deffo - the scruffier looking the better - usualy stuff piled in sacks around the walls!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

lentils, rice, beans, all kinds of flour, millet, cashew-/peanut-/almondbutter and so on and so on... can be bought in bulk at whole foods market at high street kensington (btw., it´s opened till 6 on sundays)

Quote Elahiya View Post
    lentils, rice, beans, all kinds of flour, millet, cashew-/peanut-/almondbutter and so on and so on... can be bought in bulk at whole foods market at high street kensington (btw., it´s opened till 6 on sundays)
    but for not much cheaper (per kg) than if you went to a supermarket and bought a 1kg bag.

Anyone know of any "scoop" type places in London? Y'know the sort, they have bins full of bran flakes and the like dotted around the place.

yeah i agree, wholefoods=expensive yet inticing!

Quote emzy1985 View Post

Any ideas?
    I get all my dried lentils etc from Asian food suppliers. Surely there are some in Luton.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Anyone know of any "scoop" type places in London? Y'know the sort, they have bins full of bran flakes and the like dotted around the place.
    Yes! Unpackaged in Amwell Street in Islington - it's run by the woman who used to have the scoop stall in Borough Market.

Does anyone know if any shops sell creamed corn?

Quote lily80 View Post
    Does anyone know if any shops sell creamed corn?
    The Chinese supply shops in Chinatown, London, used to sell it. It doesn't say "suitable for veg*ns" on the tin, and it has sugar in it.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Yes! Unpackaged in Amwell Street in Islington - it's run by the woman who used to have the scoop stall in Borough Market.
    Yay!! thank you!!!!

Thanks for all the ideas. Helen, Fairhaven only have stuff like TVP which really doesn't float my boat and plus it is proper expensive in there.

You'd think living in a multiculteral place like Luton that there would be Indian supermarkets etc...but there isn't...well atleast in the part of town it is safe to go to without being killed cuz you are fucking white!!!!

Quote Elahiya View Post
    unhulled sesame seeds: planet organic, maybe tesco (depends on branch)

nutritional yeast flakes: had to realize they´re hard to find in london, planet organic
    Not buying it from there again! after spending Ł3.85 for 500g, I was in an Indian food store today, only to discover 1kg for Ł2.99! Although I don't think it was organic (which frankly I'm not too bothered about)...

Isn't everything twice the price of normal shops in planet organic/fresh&wild?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote RossClement View Post
    The Chinese supply shops in Chinatown, London, used to sell it. It doesn't say "suitable for veg*ns" on the tin, and it has sugar in it.
    Thanks, wouldn't have thought to look in a Chinese type shop, will have to see if any of the ones around here sell any.

Quote lily80 View Post
    Thanks, wouldn't have thought to look in a Chinese type shop, will have to see if any of the ones around here sell any.
    It's been a long time since I bought any there, many years. I was less fussy in those days, so the non-labelled sugar (among other non-contentious ingredients) was not an issue. The recipe is very simple, so should be easy to reproduce. But when I looked for a recipe, couldn't find one.

I grew up in New Zealand, and was so used to "sweetcorn" being a staple, that I was really surprised when I first bought some tinned corn here. I was expecting it to be creamed corn, as it always had been in New Zealand, and was very surprised when I found it was just corn kernels in salted water.

Quote RossClement View Post
    I grew up in New Zealand, and was so used to "sweetcorn" being a staple, that I was really surprised when I first bought some tinned corn here. I was expecting it to be creamed corn, as it always had been in New Zealand, and was very surprised when I found it was just corn kernels in salted water.
    haha, yeah I am from NZ too and hadn't realised it wasn't common here until I ordered a baked potato with sweet corn, was quite surprised when it was literally just corn kernels on a potato

Vegan chicken stock? I've often seen it as an ingredient in American recipes, but does anywhere sell it here?

Quote derwenna View Post
    Vegan chicken stock? I've often seen it as an ingredient in American recipes, but does anywhere sell it here?
    There is a vegetable based form of "chicken flavour soup" that is sold in "Kosher" sections of supermarkets. I think the brand is "Osem". The ingredients look vegan. I think I contacted the company that makes it some years ago, and they said it was vegan. But I thought they gave a rather off-the-cuff reply, saying all their products were vegan when some of them clearly aren't. I haven't eaten it for a long while, as I'm more fussy about making sure these days.

http://www.mykoshermarket.com/Product_3917.html

Warning: Osem also do "real" chicken soups which is not even vegetarian.

Here's one I've heard a lot of people use:

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/dressings/broth.shtml

Morrisons do some 10 calorie chicken soups - although I guess that isn't stock.

Couldn't you just use normal stock powder? Does chicken stock taste a lot different?
    The day breaks and everything is new.

Ta for the replies - someone else asked me if you could buy it here because they'd seen it in a lot of US recipes but I hadn't seen it anywhere. Personally, I chuck vegetable stock cubes in everything that requires any kind of stock.

VeganLiz

Can anyone tell me where I can buy vegan cowboy boots - my previous pair are on deaths door. I bought them originally from bourgeois boheme but they don't have any now...

Tesco have synthetic materials cowboy boots this season - as do New Look.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Tesco have synthetic materials cowboy boots this season - as do New Look.
    Although the glue may not be vegan...