Thread: Crying spells?

Default Crying spells?

Hello ... I was wondering if anyone had experience with crying spells? Keeps popping up on me in the most unexpected places and times - and hasn't stopped for a few months -- I did a few searches and came up with 'pregnancy?' -- tests all indicate thats a Negative. I am dealing with some emotional issues, but nothing outlandish (relative to my own past)... and while a bit depressed - that is nothing new for me, but the crying game is and I am not digging it... though after the cry it does feel better.

So ... uh ... I tried B-12 and then Sam-e ... but still having these non-stop nearly sobbing crying spells? Any ideas ?
    *light n blessings*

cobweb

Default Re: Crying spells?

for me they are always a warning of a heavy depression coming along, i think it's like a floodgate.
    take it easy on yourself, hope you feel better soon.

I'd say it is displacement, emotions 'leaking'. So a person thinks they are crying for no reason but it is really their subconscious needing to cry about other issues that might be too painful to address.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

My initial reaction to this thread was "why would you want a spell to make you cry?" Doh!

Of course, boys don't cry (yeah, right) but I'd echo what Marrers says. Sometimes something in the present triggers an emotional response that's more to do with something in the dim and distant past (even very early childhood, from which you may have no conscious memories).

For example, I've had a few bouts of "pedestrian rage" recently. But this probably has more to do with the car crash that nearly killed me when I was 7 and/or my relationship with my father (and his death this time last year) than it does the actions of some idiotic motorists.

That's if you accept popular psychoanalytic explanations, anyway. (And I'm not sure I always do...)

Pearl

I cry a lot. Sometimes there is a big reason, sometimes there is a little reason, sometimes I just cry randomly. I always feel better afterwards. Like Cobweb says, its like opening the floodgates. My husband is used to it now and just cuddles me tightly. Most of the time thats all I need. A shoulder to snivvle on for 10 minutes or so, then he jokes me out of it and Im fine again. Until the next time!!

cobweb

i like a good cry, too, Pearl, apparently it releases a lot of stress hormones from your body.
    I just worry if it's prolonged and very frequent myself.

I used to be able to cry easily but not anymore. I wish I could sometimes, as it does help, but I think since my parents died nothing else seems as important so I can't cry as readily.
    I still cry but not as intensely..................I also cry at things I wouldn't have in the past like tv adverts or people being nice to each other etc.......
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote robb View Post
    My initial reaction to this thread was "why would you want a spell to make you cry?" Doh!

Of course, boys don't cry (yeah, right) but I'd echo what Marrers says. Sometimes something in the present triggers an emotional response that's more to do with something in the dim and distant past (even very early childhood, from which you may have no conscious memories).

For example, I've had a few bouts of "pedestrian rage" recently. But this probably has more to do with the car crash that nearly killed me when I was 7 and/or my relationship with my father (and his death this time last year) than it does the actions of some idiotic motorists.

That's if you accept popular psychoanalytic explanations, anyway. (And I'm not sure I always do...)
    Thats sad ((hugs))

I go through times of crying, but i usually have a reason. I cry more when people are nice to me than when they are mean. I can usually handle someone being annoying but when someone shows they care thats when i become a mess.

((Hugs back ))

*snuggles into moby and gets him to play a tune or two*

I have times where I'll suddenly get very depressed and start crying out of nowhere. For me it's part of my temporal lobe seizures, but it rarely happens now since I'm on medication, but lately I've been staying up a lot since I have a lot of energy and sometimes up until 4:00 a.m. and getting 2 hours sleep, so when I wake up I have visual distortions like when my hand moves it makes a bizarre trail and then seizures happen because the threshold is lowered. My lifestyle has gotten so bad in this respect that I really have to abstain totally from alcohol and things like coffee or else I'd have really nasty things happen (I already don't drink hardly enough water).

:::BIG HUGZ:::: to everyone on this forum ...

I agree with all of you - except on the boyz don't cry bit - prolly some emotional catharsis that I don't feel like facing. Flood gates open full blast - whenever they want .... Don't most floods dry up at some point? Starting to feel an ocean growing over here .... just trying to keep humor in my mix. And - I did chuckle at your joke on the spell to cry ... so thank you Robb.

Thank you all so much - suppose I just wish I had a lil' more control over it, makes me leary to go anywhere. At work they have piled boxes of tissues on my desk - unsure of what else to do. I feel a bit foolish - uh yea - I'm bawling my eyes out ... but could I get two of those please? And how do I answer when people say - are you okay ... I have NO idea? again ... clinging to humor but not really laughing.

A good friend told me "breakdowns usually precede breakthroughs" ... so I should hang tuff -- I'm evolving. Gosh I hope she's right ... maybe I'll come outta this like a butterfly.

Quantum ... I am sorry to hear of your seizure disorder - I had a friend with such problems in college - and my dog is epileptic - glad to hear you are doing well and lessened your crying spells. I've never had one myself - but just witnessing a seizure is scary stuff ... much light to you. And as someone who suffers insomnia on/off ... I totally get ya on the trails ... sleep is so precious.
    *light n blessings*

I have periods of crying uncontrolably, I think it's just me releasing my emotions out, for various bad things that happened in my past, unfortunately they don't just go away, I wish they did sometimes. I also get like flashbacks sometimes, thats quite upsetting too.
    Robb, I get pedestrian and road rage too, in supermarkets, busy shopping centres, and on the road, trust me thats just normal (or maybe the people where I live are just very annoying, especially when you try and be polite by letting someone through and they ALL go)

If evry I get into one of these phases I lock my self away, curl up with comfor foon and a blanket and proceed to watch the sadest films I can think of (moulin rouge and eternal sunshine are staples) and try and get it all out at the films, I always feel much better afterwards. Might be worth a try xxxxxxxxx