Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Insects...

Default Re: Ants, insects...

I bought a box of organic mixed leaves a few weeks ago, and a lady bug flew out of it!! She must've come all the way from California! I put her outside in the lavender, but I'm afraid of what happened to her, because it's a lot colder here than in California.

Wondering what you fellow dog owners do about ticks and fleas? Does anyone know of any natural deterrants for fleas and ticks?

I've heard that giving your dog brewers/nutritional yeast (ie. b-vitamins) helps.
    Oh, also wash your dog with vinegar for fleas, pretty sure this kills them..
    Put baking soda on your carpet and use a dehumidifier. This dehydrates the fleas and kills them.
    Plant tansy in your yard, fleas hate it but I hear that it takes over your yard.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Quote Haniska
    I've heard that giving your dog brewers/nutritional yeast (ie. b-vitamins) helps.
    Thanks for the info Haniska. I always have nutritional yeast in the house so I could start adding some to his food I guess. Of course my hubby and I eat nut. yeast all the time and we've been getting ticks on us I've been hearing it's an especially bad year for ticks in our area though.

Maybe that is just for fleas and mosquitoes. I haven't really heard of any info about how to deter ticks

Hi,
    Sorry if this question has been asked before but no time to read this whole thread.

I work in an office for three hours a day and apart from that it doesn't get used apart from the hoard of spiders who live here. I have nothing against them at all and do not want to kill them but the office (which is open to the public) regularly looks a mess and if I clean I have to remove their webs / homes - any suggestions for persuading them they would rather live somewhere else?

Also I realise that spiders eat flies - which are particularly annoying this year - they seem to fly at your face / head and just pester you constantly - i don't want to kill them either - any ideas for getting them to leave as well?

Thanks for any suggestions
    Hetfield

I think people have asked this before but its not been answered. Is there no vegan way to get rid of flies? I have a problem with flies because I have 10 guinea pigs in the house and even though I clean them out regularly flies do seem to be attracted by them in Summer. I've tried swatting the flies out the door but they don't want to go I'm sick of them TBH and if no one can come up with anything I'm going to try these and if that doesn't work I'm afraid it'll have to be the sticky papers!

I know this sounds drastic but I don't open windows and doors, so the flies don't get in! If it's very hot, try sticking some net on the inside of an open window so the cooler air gets in but the flies can't!
    If any do get in I carefully follow them around the room and catch them in a container and let them go outside, I could never harm them. They may be tiny and strange looking but they have life and a right to it!

Yeah your right Sandra. I don't think I could really kill them but one landed on my dinner before, thats why I got really mad. I've never managed to catch them, theyre too fast. I'll try one of those nets, thanks

Yeah, I hate that when they seem to deliberately fly into something, like when I'm boiling veg or potatoes they dive bomb into it! I think some of them have a death wish!

Hi All

Still got no answer to my spider problem but I sort of get quite fond of them anyway. Just a note about the flies - not sure if you have ever been to switzerland but everybody has geraniums on their windowsils / balconies - I thought that this was for decorative purposes but apparently flies don't like geraniums and so shouldn't come in. We have geraniums at home and it works I think (not 100%). Might be a possibility if you can do window boxes.

Hetfield

sugarmouse

I know what you mean Maisie although I have only 2 guinea pigs.It does not seem to bother flies whether my piggies have just been cleaned or not they stil lseem to love my house, and it annoys me because they sit on my cooked soup n stuff when i leav it to cool before i put it in the fridge,or buzz around the bin & stuff!!!Geraniums, I never knew that!!

Quote sandra View Post
    I know this sounds drastic but I don't open windows and doors, so the flies don't get in! If it's very hot, try sticking some net on the inside of an open window so the cooler air gets in but the flies can't!
    If any do get in I carefully follow them around the room and catch them in a container and let them go outside, I could never harm them. They may be tiny and strange looking but they have life and a right to it!

It is so funny/strange to me that you say this because in America if you don't have a screen on your windows it is because the old one was torn and you haven't replaced it yet!

i never kill a bug intentionally, and i think it is rubbing off on my friends!
    if ever i see a cockroach i quickly pick it up and put it outside before my dad can squish it...
    i don't see the point in killing bugs just because they are annoying... and it is pretty heartless to kill them if they are just helplessely laying there...

Yeah Haniska, I think I must be the only one over here who does that with the net thing! It would be great if all the houses already came with screens, that would be so much easier than fixing net on all the windows I want to open.
    Rogue, you're right insects do look so helpless just lying there, especially if they are on their back and can't get upright. Their little legs are waving frantically and getting them nowhere! I spent half an hour the other day putting a beetle type bug back over on his feet but he kept falling over again. I don't know if there was something wrong with him but he couldn't stay upright, so eventually I put him outside in the grass and he imediately clung to a blade! He seemed a lot happier there!

My heart really goes out to them when they're on their backs, legs waving in the air. Sounds like he was glad of your help! Have you ever read Metamorphosis by Kafka, Sandra? Very telling about human nature.

No, I haven't Fiamma, I will definitely read it!

My fiance caught a fly in his hand Friday and immediatly let it go. I thought it was a bit strange at the time. I thought maybe he was testing his hand eye cordination (I was maybe mildly impressed heh). Anyway, we saw his uncle on Saturday and he said to him "You know I caught a fly in my hand; and I let it go *turns to me* because you were sitting there." I said "Thank you." and tried to continue the flow of conversation.

PygmyGoat

Quote Hetfield View Post
    Hi All

Still got no answer to my spider problem but I sort of get quite fond of them anyway. Just a note about the flies - not sure if you have ever been to switzerland but everybody has geraniums on their windowsils / balconies - I thought that this was for decorative purposes but apparently flies don't like geraniums and so shouldn't come in. We have geraniums at home and it works I think (not 100%). Might be a possibility if you can do window boxes.

Hetfield

Supposedly if you wipe all your surfaces (walls, etc) down with a solution of Citronella it will deter Spiders and insects from coming into/staying in your home.
    Thanks for the Geranium tip - I love Geraniums so will try this! (my son has a Fly phobia).

Quote *PygmyGoat* View Post
    Supposedly if you wipe all your surfaces (walls, etc) down with a solution of Citronella it will deter Spiders and insects from coming into/staying in your home.
    Thanks for the tip - any idea where I could get some (UK) - I don't live in the Uk but will be there for a week soon so will get some then if you could suggest where.

Many thanks
    Hetfield

PygmyGoat

Most health food shops and many pharmacies sell it, Hetfield.

Quote *PygmyGoat* View Post
    Most health food shops and many pharmacies sell it, Hetfield.
    thanks very much