Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Insects...

Default Insects...

What do ya'll think about killing bugs? Personally, I don't do it, I think it's evil to kill something just because it's bothering you or even if it's just there. I sure wouldn't kill my brother if he was bothering me...of course, some bug-killings are unavoidable...but say if a bug WAS there and "bothering" you, would you kill it?

blech i hate bugs. they make my skin crawl. sumtimes ill pick up spiders and let them out but sumtimes i dont. depends on how i feel i guess :S

In the springtime there is a bee (or bees) that like to come into my bedroom. After the bee comes in, it seems to get confused and can't find the way back out the window. (Even though I leave the window wide open for it to get out). I don't try to shoo it out or to kill it. I just close the curtain, and then the only place it can fly is between the curtain and the window. Sooner or later it finds its way back out the window and flies back to its friends.

We also get small flies who like to buzz around in circles in one spot in the living room. I don't know why they do this, but if they are annoying me, I turn the fan on and then they go away. (I guess they don't like the breeze).

Roxy

Coffee is supposed to work to (no, don't drink it; put it the places where you don't want the ants!)
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I hate bugs. They make me very squemish and just eh.

Red face

Me too...this morning when I got up there were ants all over my bf's sandwich press...ewww. And I hate spiders

So how would you feel to wake up and find that you were a spider?

id feel overwhelmed and scared lol

That hits on how far down the chain things are able to sense/feel anything. In terms of suffering it stops at certain sea life. The lifetime of a typical bug is really short whether they're squished by a person or die a natural death. I wouldn't go around militantly killing a bug but I'm not going to pick one up either ... if it comes indoors then well...

I never ever try to kill one intentionally. They do feel pain, and just because science has not completeyly found out yet, does not mean they donot have souls or emotions, and their own jobs to do. They are more afraid of you, that is why when any bite, it is because they are protecting themselves/dependants. Like how ou said above, how you would feel scared if you were the bug then. Could get killed by someone who comes in the next minute. Losing everything you had in that life. They are just playing out their roles. If you would not like certain things done t you, why do it to others? Pretty much can think of how they will result. Just get over your fear and get clear jar. Yuo can carefully and danger-free catch them and release them. Just requites patience and effort, in the end, it pays out much better.

I've killed some insects by accident, but I don't think I ever have been in a situation where I needed to kill one.

ConsciousCuisine

I was at a party on the fourth of July and a little boy did something I have always done and thus my daughter has always done...he was swimming and saw a bee struggling in the water. He scooped it up to help it out without hurting it and it stung him! This opened up an interesting dialogue...(having the intent to help, being "misunderstood", instinct, will to live etc.)

I am not fond of roaches. I do not kill them but I ask the powers to be to banish them immediately whenever I have been unfortunate enough to have them visit.

Other insectd don't bother me much unless they are attacking me, at which case I shake or brush them off as best I can. For some reason, they have been attracted to me...I have been bit in the ear as I slpet by ants 3 times, and I mean INSIDE the ear canal. OUCH. Also I have been plagued by spider bites while sleeping on at least 6 occasions in the past. They always have nitten my neck. It is not pleasant and swells up and makes me feel all congested and achy and swollen. Yuck.

Yeah, the bee was alread in a huge struggle to try and survive, it probably thought that the kid was another threat, as was not calm enough to think clearly. Did you know that bees can sting other insects and not die? Their stingers only get stuck in those with skin like mammals.

I am not fond of bugs yet I try my hardest not to kill them. If you are concerned with bugs in you house there are things you can buy whic gives off a something (I don't know what) that doesn't really kill the bugs it just makes them realize your house is not a place they would enjoy
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

ConsciousCuisine

Yes, there are several "sonic" insect repellants that emit soundwaves that supposedly irritate/repel the insects (and rodents too).

no need to kill em to get ride of them.
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

The sonic ones are not goood for mental health, the animals or yours. They do something to the nervous system, and are not very good to use. Just use tea tree and such as stated before to keep them away as well as keep your own sanity.

But yeah, no need to kill them, afterall they are trying to survive, just find a way not to attract them toyour place.

We talked about this on the old forum as well.

You can also use livetraps for mice and rats,then release themoutside far away. Just make sure you have food and water for them as they can duie very quickly of stress without food. And make sure to check on the traps often, like every 2 hours, so no one gets stuck and dies there.
    "None so blind as those who do not see, none so deaf as those who do not hear."

ConsciousCuisine

Quote tsunami
    The sonic ones are not goood for mental health, the animals or yours. They do something to the nervous system, and are not very good to use.
    Can you tell me where you found this information? I'd love to read up about it...

You know it doesn't suprise me at all...this may sound odd, but I can "hear/feel" it when people blow dog whistles and it is irritating to me....

Thank goodness there aren't many insects here in Iceland. Phew! There are bees, wasps, and a few incy wincy spiders, no poisonous ones, and really not much more. A few tipes of beetles, but thank goodness there are no ants! House flies are annoying sometimes, but rather than killing 'em, I shoo 'em out, becouse I feel terrible after killing any living thing.
    On another subject, I read about a computer program which emitted ultrasonic sounds.. or something like that, to repel insects from your house... unfortunately it drove dogs and cats "insane" and the people felt it too. Good effect, isn't it? Now the whole house can be silent

I don't kill insects if I can help it, though I am sure I probably squish a few while walking through the grass. I do feel very terrible about it though. I figure that since they don't want to kill me (hopefully) and only bite/sting me out of fear or instict that they are only doing what anyone would do in their position. I were a bug, I would sting people all the time, seeming how so many would have killed my brothers/dad/great-uncle/friends just because they mighthave caused the human a small bit of pain or itchiness. If they get on me, I genly brush them off. Usually if a wasp or bee is in the house, I place a cup over him and slide a piece of thin cardboard over the top (so he won't get out) and release him outside. That way, noone gets hurt.

If you have a garden, wasps are the best thing you could have. They eat all the pests and I have seen wasps dragging off huge caterpillars. Jersey here is a haven for bugs. Tons of mosquitoes and all sorts of biting insects. I have just lost patience. We have West Nile Virus which can kill you but I'm not afraid of that. They especially like to drink sweet vegan blood. If you have had a lot to drink they leave you alone though.

I live in an old house in the damp Northwest which means that bugs come in freely, and they get pretty big! But the creepy crawly ones I just put a cup over and slide a piece of paper underneath and toss them out. The flying ones end up as entertainment for my cat.
    "I intend to live forever. So far, so good."

Vivisanctor

Talking

Quote Veggie4Life139
    What do ya'll think about killing bugs?
    --Don't do it!

I have a pair of giant african land snails, a friend of a friend rescued some from a man who sells and breeds them for the dinner plate and i said i'd take 2 for her. Problem is they have now reached sexual maturity and the other day i found some eggs buried, by some i mean about 300. I'd been told to destroy them and i get why because i cant house 300 snails, and i cant find homes for 300 snails and even if i do what will people do when they have eggs, and i cant let them out in my garden because it will upset the natural balance, as they are not native to england. Apparently they a banned in several american states because they overproduce and eat everything. So i destroyed them which believe me made me feel sick, i felt so guilty. It would be nice if the 2 snails could live in their native country but their chances of survival there are low,they get eaten ALOT! thats why they lay so many eggs, the 2 i have are lucky to be alive. The only way i can stop them making more eggs would be to separate them but then thats not fair on them. So do u guys think its more cruel to destroy the eggs or keep the snails apart?
    Btw i know this is a thread about insects, but i figured the killing of insects and snail eggs is kinda similar??

Vivisanctor

Unhappy

Quote moomin
    So do u guys think its more cruel to destroy the eggs or keep the snails apart?
    wow. I dunno if there is a good answer for that. The solution would be that the snails that you own should never have been born, but yet, there they be.

Vivisanctor

Question

Quote Vivisanctor
    I dunno if there is a good answer for that.
    I don't think the term 'answer' is appropriate here.

Many things are judgment calls which are not necessarily complete and total answers. The solution for the future is to make sure no more snails are made, but you already know that. I think that since the snails which are alive most likely have more capacity to suffer than the unborn eggs, you would most likely be best off keeping the snails in each others' company. But that's just my opinion, and it's a judgment call. Any judgment you make using your natural empathy and compassion will most certainly be a good one.

I feel for your situation.

Hey, thanx for your reply. Yeh i think i will just keep them together. I tried to coax them apart when they were erm doing the business the other day AGAIN! with a cotton bud (yes i know!) but they were very defiant and i didnt want to hurt them so i just left them to it. I know this isnt gonna sound nice and it isnt nice for me either, but i didnt want to just flush the eggs away incase that didnt destroy them straight away, i didnt want the eggs to continue developing while stuck in a sewer. So i had to crush them (not nice) but it made me feel better in a way because there was nothing in the eggs what so ever so it didnt feel as much like i was killing something, more like the morning after pill in human terms maybe?? maybe not.

So- what about termites? I am glad I found this thread cause determining on how I can keep from killing bugs has been plaguing my mind. I live in an apartment, and 1- 2 times a year, a spot in my kitchen gets infested with termites. They skeeve me really bad, but I have given up killing bugs. That actually was the final straw that sent me on my path to veganism. This is what happened:

I was home from work on a vacation day, and I observed a millipede on my ceiling. I reached for my can of Raid to take him out- then I paused. He wasn't doing anything to me- why did I want to kill him? THe only answer I could think of was fear. I was afraid that he would wind up in my bed with me. I realized that was a silly reason, and wondered what made my life more important than his- was it because I am human and he is not? haven't killed a bug since. BUT, it is not termite season. What do I do in that case? Does the ant repellant work on them, too?

Seriously, termites have to get offed. And tapeworms, and roundworms, and fleas, and anything killing your trees. If I see you getting attacked by a dog or shark or whatever I'll kill that too.

JOhn- I suppose that you are right, since termites are destructive little guys I guess that it is okay, it is a tradeoff, kind off like destroying the snail eggs.

But, I still feel a problem with killing anything, even if it is needed. I guess that is a part of my beliefs that I will have to compromise with(especially as long as I live in an apartment and have no control over these kinds of things)

I agree with that, i hate killing anything. But its nature to defend yourself. If a shark tried to eat me (never gonna happen but hey) i would defend myself and pokes its eyes hehe. Its the same with things like fleas when my dog has fleas we have to kill them because he has very sensitive skin as he was once a stray and had really severe mange. Yeh its better to use a flea collar or treatment to stop the fleas in the 1st place but that doesnt always work. What i disagree with is someone intentionally stepping on a snail or killing a wasp for no valid reason.

I think that it is an issue of respect. Kind of like when the Native Americans would kill an animal for food they would thank the animal spirit but when Europeans showed up, they had no respect for anyone or anything.

In the case of termites I respect that they perform the valuable service of breaking down dead wood. I also respect that they are each individual beings possessing the most extraordinary thing in the universe--
    life. And I acknowledge that I am causing these beings suffering if I kill them.

What difference does it make if I kill them anyway? Well, if I can respect a bug then perhaps it strengthens my respect for the essence of life; and perhaps it strengthens my respect for all living things, including humans, including myself.

As far as bug repellant goes, I would rather not pay for the manufacture of any more harmful chemicals than necessary which harm the environment, animals, and myself. I do wear an herbal tick repellant when I go hiking though.

I noticed at an outing that the mosquitos were biting my nephew and sister, but they didn't seem to swarm and try to bite me. I wonder if they smell the rotting flesh inside omnivores. Anyone have a similar experience when around omnivores?

Maybe it was a coincidence and I'm thinking too much.

I think that mosquitoes like biting children better than adults. Maybe their skin is softer or maybe their blood tastes better, who knows?

Since we're vegan, we'll never find that out, huh?

N Vegan

You can smell meat eaters a bit farther away than herbivores. I think mosquitoes can too

I don't intentionally kill anything, not even 'annoying bugs'.
    People can't understand why I don't reach for the swatter the second I see a wasp - I've never been stung but for all their panics, arm waving and screeching, they have!

It would be useful to have the capacity to put a creature out of its misery but I'm sad to say I can't even face doing it when it needs to be done for humane reasons.
    ~I used to be sane but it drove me mad~

I know that alot of you seem to be in agreement with not killing more than you have to when it comes to bugs- but do you ever feel alienated by it?
    I am noticing more and more how it seems to be such an automated reaction to humans to just kill kill KILL things. Yesterday is was in a wooded park with my Boyfriend, discussing the fate of our relationship, since we have been growing apart. An ant runs in front of him and - SCRAPE! he swipes at it with his shoe. I was horrified! "we are in his home, not the other way around," I told him, and I think it made him feel guilty. He doesn't even know why he did it. Just a reaction. But that was definately not something good to do in front of me when I am drifting away from him, mostly for the reason he misunderstands all the changes in my life and what a turning point all of this is.
    Anyone else have any similiar experiences?
    It makes me so frustrated.

It is amazing how people kill bugs for no reason. I have been guilty of that. Also, how people freak out because of bees and wasps and bugs like that. I have been stung a few times and it really isn't a big deal unless you are allergic or there is a large swarm attacking you.

There was a small, baby spider hanging from the ceiling at work today. It had dropped down pretty low and was hanging between my boss and I, just above our heads. She got all scared and was shouting "kill it! kill it!". I told her "don't kill it - it'll go away" and off it went on it's merry way and then we started talking about something else and she forgot all about getting a baby spider in her hair.

Roxy

hi vegan friends,

As I have gone through all the above post. Many of you are worried about Bugs,Insects.
    But I would like to raise a similar issue regarding use of Red color and its souce.http://www.indianvegan.com/cochineal2.jpg these are dried cochineal insects.
    Natural red is manufactured by crushing insects and bugs.Synthetic Red is used in cosmetics. Natural red are dyes which are soluble in nature. Synthetic red is unsoluble in food stuffs.Synthetic red has high risk of Cancer.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/gen99465.htm

Toal method of producing Red color is here. http://www.indianvegan.com/cochineal.htm

Manish

Quote Phoenix20
    I know that alot of you seem to be in agreement with not killing more than you have to when it comes to bugs- but do you ever feel alienated by it?
    Anyone else have any similiar experiences?
    It makes me so frustrated.
    Yes, I do feel alienated by it. I feel like a very small voice in a sea of people who couldn't care less, whose automatic response to anything they don't like or fear, is to squash it!
    For example, last week my family (me and hubby - vegan, 2 kids, mostly vegan) were staying with hubbys brother and his wife (2 adults, 2 small kids, all bug killing meat eaters) By the time we arrived, the whole room was literally littered with dead wasps and flies - on the floor, on every surface and squished on the windows. Their little boys were running around with a fly swatter, bashing anything that tried to land, regardless of whether it came near them. A wasp went near one of their little boys (he's 4) and he freaked, waving his arms and screaming - the wasp went up his sleeve, got stuck and stung him! His auto response was to kill it before it came near him, but the thing is, he didn't even know WHY he was supposed to be afraid of them.

We on the other hand, simply ate our meal and shooed the wasps away and none of my lot got stung, but guess who got the blame for their boy being stung?? Apparently, if we'd have let them kill it, it wouldn't have been there to sting their boy

I don't kill the ants in my garden, spiders in my bath (and boy do I hate spiders *shudder*) even the slugs on my wild mint plant - why would I. It's a pity more people don't think before they splat.
    ~I used to be sane but it drove me mad~

I remember a experience not to long ago where the was a spider on my wall in my room and everyone in my family said kill it. Well I got a dixie cup and a piece of toilet paper and took the little thing outside. My family thinks that the spider will get back in and bite them! Ha ha. My brother called me a Sissy/Wussy because I didnt kill it. I told him "You are a sissy if you kill it because then you dont have enough guts to save his life, instead you smash it and throw it away" he shut up. My family dosent know my true feelings on animals just yet. They think i just dont like meat. They also think that not all farms are bad. They dont believe in me just yet

This (and a few other posts) are making good points about people who claim killing another is manly/superior. It's fear, but people tend to make up whatever they can to feel on top of things and capable. It's really sad that someone thinks crushing a bug makes them strong, and sadly it also relates to common peoples fear of vegans and their need to put them down and intimidate them. Some people are just cowards.

Since this thread began, I have become more aware of how often I go to extra effort to save a bug's life. It makes me feel so much better to be able to remove it from the room to a safer place, or to just leave it alone - rather than try to kill it (which is what I used to do before becoming a more compassionate human being).

Most insects I won't bother, and they don't bother me. I shoo out moths and carry out spiders. However, I'm really guilty when it comes to mosquitoes. Last week, after hurricane Francis, there were literally 50+ mosquitoes in my apartment. That's enough for me to be concerned about my being stung, but more importantly, I worried about how bad it might be for my roommate (a very small dwarf hamster) to be stung numerous times. If you live in the southern US, you know how impossible it is to shoo a mosquito outside, so I saw no other way than to kill them. I usually make sure not to let any inside, but then it was storming, so they all took refuge on the porch and came inside if the door was open for a split-second.
    I don't know what I would do about cockroaches. They move so quickly, and I have a very deep phobia about them (I grew up in a house infested with them and has numerous bad experiences at a young age). Hopefully I'll never have to deal with that again!

One nice thing about not having any wool clothing is that you don't have to worry so much if you see a moth.

When I was about 13 or 14, I remember sleeping over at a girlfriend's house. She was quite a chubby kid and her mother was always trying to get her to lose weight, but the girl would be forever sneaking chocolate bars, pies, cakes and any other fattening food.

Anyway, this one particular night I was in bed, asleep and woke up to feel a tickling sensation on my arms and chest. Ewww Ewww! I had cockroaches crawling on me!!!! I jumped up and turned on the light to find hundreds of the little buggers crawling everywhere - and they were coming from underneath the mattress. I lifted up the mattress and lo and behold, this was the girls hiding place for her used chocolate bar wrappers!!!

That was gross! Thankfully here in Canada, where I live, there doesn't seem to be a cocky problem.

I was at a vegetarian resturant yesterday. We were eating outside and the waiter tried to kill a bee. Kind of ironic.

I recently planted some cabbage. I've sprayed it with Castile peppermint soap to keep the bugs away but some small dot-looking insects (maybe aphids) are showing up. I scrape them off and squash them. I feel badly but on the other hand, I'm trying to grow my own food organically. Any suggestions.

Bugs I find in the house get a free ride onto the front porch. I'm guilty of smacking mosquittos however I've learned that's putting me in danger as well as hurting the bug. West Nile is more likely to spread this way, the virus is essentially injected by the force of the smack.

Default companion animals

I use the chemical flea drops on the cats. How do others handle this issue.

Also, there is a mouse or mice more likely living in some kitchen cabinets. I don't use them. I haven't gotten a no-kill trap because my overweight cat is so fascinated by the sound of the mice, it gets her up and going. Over the last several months she killed one mouse. I've decided not to removed them because they don't get in my stuff much and my cat is fascinated and isn't too much of a danger to them.

I feed one cat canned food from the grocery store, she's thin. The overweighty cat gets diet food which also contains meat. How do others handle this?