Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do fish feel pain?

cobweb

Default Re: Do fish feel pain?

^ but anyway, Mahk, the point of my posts were that i find it really offensive that these people who hunt/shoot/fish think that they are the natural 'guardians' of the countryside, when underlying their 'concerns' are their own selfish pleasures.

Not all vegans or environmentalists are know-nothing 'townies' as the other side would love to believe.

Mahk

Back to the main topic:

Do the people who think "fish don't feel pain" believe that if one takes a pin and sticks it in the fish's belly that the fish will just blissfully sit there and not squirm and writhe in pain?? I don't get them.

Or do they think that the squirming and writhing in agony is not indicative of "pain"?

cobweb

.............and if there's any doubt, why not err on the side of caution anyway?
    and actually, if that is people's criteria why are so many other creatures killed and eaten?

Fish are actually very social animals. They can even have algae gardens they tend to.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/3189941.stm

www.fishinghurts.org has more info and links.
    "None so blind as those who do not see, none so deaf as those who do not hear."

Thanks for all the replies! Some good arguments here.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Mahk

Sea kittens!? Puh-leez. Yet another lame brain plan by PETA to marginalize our cause and make us look like blithering idiots, or at least the kids in our ranks, if you ask me. Nerwkirk needs to step down, pronto; this reeks of her idiocy if you ask me.

Dear policy maker,

Please force the entire country to go vegan against their will because I want you to (and PETA told me to tell you so in this pathetic form letter). The sea kittens want to play with their balls of string, or seaweed.

Signed,
    a delude individual who will never be take seriously because of the antics of PETA and this ridiculous jargon they suggest we adopt.

[If any of this post didn't make sense to some of you, you need to read all the links given at the www.fishinghurts.org link given like this one.]

"If we run around naked and change the names of animals maybe we can fool some people into becoming vegan" - PETA/ aka Newkirk

Quote Mahk View Post
    "If we run around naked and change the names of animals maybe we can fool some people into becoming vegan" - PETA/ aka Newkirk
    hahaha.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Zero

Once again PeTA have gone and made fools of themselves. It's no surprise to me, as long as people give them money they will waste it on campaigns of idiocy and buying shares in companies who are heavy meat users with no effect.

Just think of all those millions of dollars that could have been better spent actually promoting veganism (and in a positive light instead).

yup PETA suck
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Read the other articles on fishinghurts.org They have the BBC ones posted earlier too. The one I was referencing to is an older link. It was the first time i read about sea kittens as well.

I don't agree with a lot of PETA's tactics either, but even so, they still do a lot of good. People who don't like more radical groups like HSUS and such, which are more conservative. Others cant stand being so conservative and prefer a more radical approach. Each groups does a lot of good though.

People used to argue that slaves/blacks don't feel pain, physical or emotional, like "normal" people do, and treated them similarly to the way animals are used. But slowly these things will change over time, like that have before. Some people insist on defending their ignorance and ways of life at the expense of others, but eventually there will be less an less. Thanks goodness people hunting and fishing have already lowered by a lot.
    "None so blind as those who do not see, none so deaf as those who do not hear."

i reckon fish feel pain, but assuming they didn't it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to my diet.

feelings or not, they're alive.

also... ain't no WAY i'm eating a fish corpse