Thread: Going off meat subs?

Default Going off meat subs?

Anybody here had the same? Recently I've lost interest in meat substitutes and gotten much more into lentils, grains etc... I've noticed a big difference in food, after eating meat subs my stomach feels very full and heavy, but with lentils I don't have the same thing..
    But with reducing my meat sub intake should I worry about having incomplete proteins?

exec

Default Re: Going off meat subs?

I used to take meat sub back home for some occasional satisfaction of my little vestiges of craving for taste. But I'm now in a place(Japan) where there is essentially no such things as meat subs. I have no idea why but I feel happier, and eat tastier.

All in all, I think meat subs do nothing good, compared to what veges are capable of, but provide some mere engineered tastes.

I still have them now and then for a change but they do tend to give me indigestion, especially the ones containing TVP I think.

I certainly don't think you need to worry about eliminating them in favour of lentils etc - naturally occurring foods are almost certainly better for you than something knitted in a factory somewhere

They're a good bridge from meat-eating to vegetarianism/veganism. Of course you could continue to eat meat substitutes all the time for all the rest of your life as a vegan, but I think it's common to not want to eat them all the time after a while. Now I have them only once in a while.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

I like dairy substitutes like soya cheese and milk. Vegan sos rolls n' stuff can be nice party food but they often seem quite like 'processed food' and not that good for you.

I like Tofu and stuff, but I don't think of it as meat.

It's good to show that you don't have to miss out on anything by being vegan.

Hey guys, sorry for belated reply... it seems the forum didn't email me informing me of replies...
    I think it is probably a common transition, although I whole heartedly believed that I would never go off meat subs... and I always kinda believed that even if humans had never eaten meat these foods would exist, but we would never call them meat subs. Never really got into cheese subs, and as for milk/yoghurt subs, I don't really view them as subs, more as foods unto themselves. Well, I must admit I drink Rice Dream simply as a drink and never use it as a milk... And I defo agree about tofu, I like it for its unique texture after being frozen... marinated with some olive oil, liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, garlic and ginger, then oven-roasted and served with couscous... mmm.... the creativity is endless with vegan food, and that's what I love! Meat subs are sooo limiting...

Mousee!!

when i saw this thread i went 'hold on arent we vegans here?' then found subs NOT to be submarine rolls but substitutes. LOL.

i had a beaney 'roast' last week made it into a chilli concoction. farted for days. felt very heavy

LOL... never really got into beans to be honest... toor dal gives me flatulence though..

We had Grassingtons vegan peppered steaks last weekend and they nearly made me sick . Been a very long time since I ate meat but they looked and tasted like the real deal - yuck! Great for people who want the meaty texture and taste I suppose, but not for me .
    I don't like the over-processed fake meats and much prefer real food, and my body thanks me when I eat well
    here comes the sun

to me if it tastes good and is free of animal harm I'll eat it
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

BlackCats

Quote Ginger View Post
    We had Grassingtons vegan peppered steaks last weekend and they nearly made me sick . Been a very long time since I ate meat but they looked and tasted like the real deal - yuck!
    They are hideous aren't they, but I didn't think they tasted remotely like the "real thing" from what I remember.

I love quite a few meat substitutes but I don't eat them very often so when I do they make a nice change.

Quote seamus View Post
    when i saw this thread i went 'hold on arent we vegans here?' then found subs NOT to be submarine rolls but substitutes. LOL.

i had a beaney 'roast' last week made it into a chilli concoction. farted for days. felt very heavy
    Same here minus the beans and farting. So basically I just thought the thread was about sandwiches. But to be fair, I usually think that everything is about sandwiches.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

stonze

Quote harpy View Post
    I still have them now and then for a change but they do tend to give me indigestion, especially the ones containing TVP I think.
    I find that things containing carrageenan can upset my stomach so I keep fake meats containing it to a minimum and I enjoy fake meat burgers and sausages that don't have any carrageenan in them.

Fake meats can be tasty but whole grains, pulses and beans are better for you as they're full of vitamins and minerals that the fake meats don't contain, and no need to worry about incomplete protein as long as you're eating a good balance.

I used to eat meat substitutes every day. I hardly eat them at all anymore, because they've gotten so expensive and I can only afford to buy them when they are on a good sale price.

That being said, I'll be roasting a Tofurkey for Christmas, as my partner's store has them on sale for $10 off.

exec

Don't worry so much after all, about these meat subs things. Don't get upset for being regarded as fake vegans for eating fake meats. Some would probably tease us with this while they themselves are taking the real flesh. I would say, have them once in a while, whether to satisfy our cravings, or to sustain and modify what we have been doing all the while, 'turkey' or such. But when it comes to your daily meals, meat subs shouldn't be your main courses.

Quote hiddenfromview View Post
    But with reducing my meat sub intake should I worry about having incomplete proteins?
    what makes you think meat substitutes have 'complete proteins' anyway? they're not natural and are made to satisfy veg*ns' desire for familiar, meat-like products so are made to taste good (if you like that sort of thing) rather than to replace the protein found in meat. IMO the proteins found in more natural foods such as beans and lentils have got to be much better for you.

having said that i'm not anti-meat substitutes, i don't eat them very often but i do think they can have their place in a balanced diet if you wish.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

It's normal to stop wanting meat substitutes I think. I don't eat them that much anymore. Rarely.

have the odd biorasher and the occasional vegan mince portion in chilli
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I flat out refuse to buy meat subs, they are extremely expensive! Plus, they taste strange. I like the taste of vegetables much more, which is one of the reasons I decided to be vegan. I love vegetables and fruit, and beans; they're my fav food.

I've seen the tofurky stuff and it makes me want to gag. It looks so artificial! I'm the kind of person that likes to eat food in it's simplest and most natural form, right off the tree!

Quote exec View Post
    Don't worry so much after all, about these meat subs things. Don't get upset for being regarded as fake vegans for eating fake meats. Some would probably tease us with this while they themselves are taking the real flesh. I would say, have them once in a while, whether to satisfy our cravings, or to sustain and modify what we have been doing all the while, 'turkey' or such. But when it comes to your daily meals, meat subs shouldn't be your main courses.
    Yeah, I agree with that - I am a creature of habit and routine, and sometimes I get into that mode of "replacing meat" in a meal (like I had a pita pocket with lettuce, vegan cheese and field roast - not a usual thing, but I haven't really seen the options for an exciting, non-faux product vegan sandwich, aside from peanut butter or things like that).

One thing though I am glad for is that there is a cafeteria that does good vegan cooking, considering that I don't know how to cook yet (aside from microwave!), so I don't get all that much faux meat, but it can be good once in awhile, though a bit too salty and processed (I like this field roast, though, especially this lentils flavor and I want to try the mushroom one). If I didn't have access to that cafeteria, I'd probably be eating a lot more faux meat (and I would have ot learn how to use a can opener for canned beans, too).

I never liked meat subs to begin with because part of my progression to vegetarianism in the first place was because meat grossed me out (then going online and reading about the reasons people go veg turned the decision into a moral one). Before I went vegan I bought some veggie hotdogs once, being all excited by the novelty factor and stuff.. they tasted exactly like the real thing and I just couldn't handle it.

So I embraced the joy that is lentils, beans, tofu etc (cheap, but not nasty!)

If I go to a restaurant that has meat subs, like a veggie restaurant, I feel like I have to get it because it's so rare I see something like that on a menu. Actually though, I think I much prefer tofu. I never buy meat subs in a store though. However I do love the occasional veggie burger with avocado. The Amy's kind I get doesn't resemble meat texture at all though, it's kind of crumbly. Eh, I like it!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I don't eat that many meat substitutes these days. I do however enjoy the occasional sausage sandwhich or chilli using releat mince. Like Bradders said; if it's vegan and tasty I'll eat it!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Vegan_Steven

Great ! I was looking for this very subject.

I've talked to vegans in passing who believe that eating meat substitutes is just as bad as eating meat. Personally I feel it's a great tool for people making the switch and I'll accept vegans anyway I can get them (even though I still don't know any ) (except I know you guys now )

I've met a 40yo Pakistani woman who has never tasted meat and she of course has no desire to ever tatse it nor would she then miss it. That's what makes me believe meat substitutes are are ok, infact I just made baked mostacholi with vegan Field Roast apple sage sausage and vegan gourmet mozzarella cheese...............mmmmmmmm it's so good.

Anyway, I'd like to leave the meat substitutes behind one day just on principle.

hey just out of curiousity, do most folks consider seitan (wheat cutlets) and tempeh to be "meat substitutes?

I was never really into them in a big way, there is no way I would them everyday. Most are soy and/or gluten based which I try to avoid as much as possible.

I eat chickpeas, nuts & quinoa sometimes but not often and other than that I don't think about protein a lot. I just eat what I eat and leave meat subs. for pot lucks when I try other ppl's dishes or eating out.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Quote Vegan_Steven View Post
    Great ! I was looking for this very subject.

I've talked to vegans in passing who believe that eating meat substitutes is just as bad as eating meat.
    I was wondering about that. I was having a rather unhealthy breakfast with food from my parents care package during the Thanksgiving holiday, and it was tofurky sausages on wholewheat bread, and somebody walked by and gave a sneering look. I didn't know if they were health conscious or vegetarian or both (maybe they thought it was really meat), as at the time I believe I recognized them as someone I knew who knew I said I was vegan, and as I was newly vegan, I was really cautious about "misusing" the term.

Anyway today I was going to make breakfast with avocado, tomatto, vegennaise, lentil sage field roast slice, and whole wheat bread, but I forgot about the field roast and didn't miss it like I had thought I would in a sandwich. (Didn't even realize until I had almost finished up the whole thing!) Now the idea even seems kind of odd, though I have a whole package that I don't want to go to waste (it tastes good, just that the sandwich was so juicy and fresh on its own, that I felt no need to "replace meat"). though I wish I had some onions and smushed garlic on hand to spread on, as that stuff is lovely.

Vegan_Steven

I know, don't you love veganaise? when they came out with that I hadn't had mayo for many years and I bought a jar and almost drank it now I don't eat it anymore.

Yep there are some very radical vegans out there who consider meat substitutes breaking vegan.

I guess I can't blame them.

Quote Vegan_Steven View Post
    I know, don't you love veganaise? when they came out with that I hadn't had mayo for many years and I bought a jar and almost drank it now I don't eat it anymore.

Yep there are some very radical vegans out there who consider meat substitutes breaking vegan.

I guess I can't blame them.
    I've probably said this elsewhere before.. But imho I reckon that even if the whole world was and had always had been vegan, what we call "meat substitutes" would still exist but under a different name (look at all the hybrid vegan food that has been invinted and evolved as it is)... same goes for milk substitutes etc. Although I must admit stuff like vegan mayo, I view it as a condiment in itself which happens to taste like mayonnaise.

Quote petunia View Post
    hey just out of curiousity, do most folks consider seitan (wheat cutlets) and tempeh to be "meat substitutes?
    not really no, nor do I tofu.
    I don't eat meat subs but did when I transitioned (weird as I transitioned from veggie and never ate them then ) but now I love tofu tempeh and seitan and veg. I view them as more 'natural; foods, and so enjoy them more

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

I only like meat substitutes if they don't taste like meat. Redwoods vegan bacon makes me gag as to me it tastes like the real thing. Their Lincolnshire style sausages have a herby flavour and no meat texture.

When I lived in South East Asia the mock meats, although made of Seitan had a meat texture which meant I would have to switch my brain off to eat it. In Japan I ate a lot of aduki beans, marinated tofu and deep fried tofu and I really got hooked on eating seaweed, so much so that my flat mate who has become a good friend sends me over parcels of seaweed salads, seasoned seaweeds and nori sheets. She is a real gem!

I much prefer beans and pulses. It was what I was raised on before meat subs came about. We as humans survived for millions of years before them.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.