Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Its all about the gravy baby...

Default Re: Its all about the gravy baby...

dumplings here are made of suet and much stodgier than an American biscuit. here's a picture, not in gravy because i didn't want to post a photo of a meat stew (which was all i could otherwise find that wasn't a Chinese dumpling):

'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Mahk

Thanks. Yes, American biscuits, which are baked, are generally soft and fluffy on the inside. What you've pictured I'd imagine would be denser and more crumbly.

[I've never seen or eaten what you have pictured. The red looks to be berry based?]

American "dumplings", usually steamed or fried, would always be some form of pastry shell encasing a meat or vegetable substance analogous to an Italian ravioli although they never contain any form of dairy filling which ravioli often does:

Quote Mahk View Post
    Thanks. Yes, American biscuits, which are baked, are generally soft and fluffy on the inside. What you've pictured I'd imagine would be denser and more crumbly.
    they're not crumbly really - they're quite sticky. they are pretty dense.

Quote Mahk View Post
    [I've never seen or eaten what you have pictured. The red looks to be berry based?]
    i guess it's a sort of stewed fruit pudding. it's more common to find dumplings in a savoury stew i think. here's another photo which is apparently a vegetable stew (doesn't look meaty so i guess it's safe to post here!)#

Quote Mahk View Post
    American "dumplings", usually steamed or fried, would always be some form of pastry shell encasing a meat or vegetable substance analogous to an Italian ravioli although they never contain any form of dairy filling which ravioli often does:
    they are what i've always thought of as Chinese dumplings or dim sum.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Mahk

Oh I see. Your dumplings would be more analogous to what we might call "potato dumplings" often found in soups. There is an Italian variety called gnocchi.

to us a dumpling is self raising flour and suet in portions 2:1 and cold water to bind the dough. We boil, stew, bake, steam and add them to casseroles and such (think English casseroles here, dark brown gravy potatoes, onion, root veg etc)
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.