Thread: Fair Trade town - Vegan town?

Default Fair Trade town - Vegan town?

Hey folks,

I came across an inspiring video about Media, PA, the America's first Fair Trade town. Now, I consider Fair Trade to be a part of veganism since human slave labor is no better than nonhuman slave labor, although I'm sure I consume lots of products that are not Fair Trade () or fair labor.

Anyway, it's inspiring for veganism in general because, if we can have a Fair Trade town, why not a vegan town? Or a vegan city, or a vegan nation?

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." - Arundhati Roy

I'm thinking about contacting some mayors and telling them about this!
    Last edited by Sarabi; Dec 21st, 2008 at 04:33 AM. Reason: fair trade
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Default Re: Fair Trade town - Vegan town?

It's a nice idea - I don't want to move, but I wouldn't mind forcing all other Londoners to become vegan and fair-trade

I'm sure I've read something about areas of India (possibly relatively small ones such as housing estates) that tried to prevent meat-eaters from moving in, but I think they may have fallen foul of some kind of equal rights legislation unfortunately.

Default Re: Fair Trade town - Vegan town?

Actually, I read more about it, and it doesn't force anyone to buy Fair Trade. The requirements are that there are a certain number of completely Fair Trade shops, that they have a council to discuss Fair Trade issues, that they only use Fair Trade products in town events and activities, and that they actively promote Fair Trade. Still, it's pretty cool. I think these criteria are more likely to gain people's support.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha