Thread: Questions about homemade milks

Default Questions about homemade milks

Sorry, but I have lots of them. I am trying to minimize my soy intake these days (yeah yeah yeah) but I am a stingy bastard who would rather not pay MORE than the already high prices of soy milk. So I thought maybe I could make my own rice/almond/oat milk at home.

Questions
    1. Can I use rolled oats for making oat milk, and do I need to cook them before I blend them?
    2. Do I have to cook rice before I blend it, or can I just let it sit in water for 12-14 hours before blending?
    3. What is the 'best tasting' homemade milk: oat, rice, almond, or other?
    4. What is the best place to get cheap raw almonds?
    5. Can I just use a mesh metal strainer or will I really need to use cheesecloth?
    6. Are milk making machines really that much better than doing it yourself?
    7. Are raw almonds/hazelnuts required or can you use roasted?
    8. Does anyone have any good recipes for homemade milks?

Again, I know it's a lot of questions, but if anyone has ideas, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Questions about homemade milks

i am preparing my own milks and can certainly give some advice... but i have a soya milk maker with which i can also prepare any other kind of milk in any mixture.

1. you can use rolled oats. you donīt necessarily cook them before blending, but you can. and if it is hot, i mean if you prepare the milk hot you can put it into a glass bottle and as it is hot it will preserve on its own when you close the bottle with a metal lid.
    2. iīd rather cook the rice before blending. then you wouldnīt need to let it sit. if you let it sit 3-4 hours should be enough.
    3. i prefer homemade oat and rice milk. when i tried almond milk it came out pretty fatty, other than the bought one. quinoa milk is also tasty.
    4. maybe you can even find some at a supermarket?
    5. youīd need a cheesecloth or at least an old kitchen towel if you donīt have a soya milk maker. youīll have to put there the blended rice or oats in it and drain it. with a metal stainer it wonīt work.
    6. the machines are better, definitely. itīs more convinient. you only put your oats or rice or whatever in it, you can even let it sit in there before preparing and they often have a timer. moreover, it wonīt be such a mess and not that time consuming with them.
    7. you can also use roasted ones. itīs nicer in taste. you could even add peanuts or sesame, but iīd prefer it roasted.
    8. to prepare 1.3 or 1.8 litres of milk 50g of rice or quinoa would be enough. for oat milk 30g are sufficient, otherwise itīll turn out very thick and slimy. you can be very creative with preparing your own milks. what about 40g rice/quinoa or even millet with 10g almonds/nuts? or 30g plus 20g nuts?
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Thanks!

Anyone else make their own milks?

We have a machine we use to make soymilk, but it also makes good rice and nut milk. It's very much worth the money because you only have to clean one thing. If you make milk that needs to be cooked, it takes 15 minutes. Anything else takes under one minute. I love it.

Ok I figured I would answer some of my own questions (after experimenting today) in case someone finds this thread and has the same questions I did.

1. Can I use rolled oats for making oat milk, and do I need to cook them before I blend them?
    Rolled oats work fine, and they don't need to be cooked.

2. Do I have to cook rice before I blend it, or can I just let it sit in water for 12-14 hours before blending?
    Rice doesn't need to be cooked

3. What is the 'best tasting' homemade milk: oat, rice, almond, or other?
    That's up to taste preference, but nut milks are the creamiest

4. What is the best place to get cheap raw almonds?
    Sadly, Walmart ($7/lb)

5. Can I just use a mesh metal strainer or will I really need to use cheesecloth?
    A metal mesh strainer works fine, but if you HATE sediment then a cheesecloth will make the milk perfectly smooth.

I don't know anything about making milks (sorry!), but one place where I found really cheap raw almonds was an Indian grocery store. You can buy them in huge bags and I'm not sure how much they were where I bought them, but I remember they were the cheapest I'd seen.

I've only ever made home-made raw hemp milk, but I was always under the impression you just stick the main ingredient (hemp/almonds etc) in a blender with some water and blend together, squeeze through a nut milk bag (or any muslin cloth bag) and then blend the milk with a sweetener like agave syrup or a soaked medjool date. Ratio is 3 x nuts/seeds to 1 x water, I think.

I don't think the 'raw' fresh-made seed/nut milks last very long.

Easier still is buying a jar of nut/seed butter and just blending it with water and adding a sweetener. Takes out the messy straining step!