Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brighton Vegan Fayre

Default Re: Brighton Vegan Fayre

Was good to meet and chat to some new peeps, as well as the old forum favourites.

Food situation was a shame, but we stuffed ourselves on samples and grabbed a red-veg for lunch. Chilled on the beach for a bit. As a bonus, the parking turned out free as the pay machine was broken, and the barrier opened up and let us out.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I think what all of us who didn't get to go want to know is...where are the photos??!!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Buddha Belly

Put a couple on the Brighton fayre meet up thread. If I can work out how to take pics from my phone there will be more.

Quote Troutina View Post
    I never knew how delicious the cream cheese was! Especially on digestives with jam
    Gotta be the highlight of the fayre? Amazingness.

Fantastic seeing (and partying) with everyone as always
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Yeah, I was raving about those "mini cheesecakes" to anyone who'd listen. And a bunch of people who wouldn't...

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    I think what all of us who didn't get to go want to know is...where are the photos??!!
    Heck, those of us who did go want to see the photos too. For one or two it may be the only way they'll be able to remember what happened...

I enjoyed the day, it was nice to be a building with lots of like minded people, and I enjoyed the entertainment, especially Macka B, Robb Johnson and the Soho Dolls but the food was a real disappointment. I had a cold hot dog with cold, mushy onions, which made the bun all soggy, that was a rip off at £5.50. Few people would be tempted to go vegan on the food provided at this fayre. It looked so promising on the advertising literature and website as well.

I've never been to the Bristol one, is the food better there? All the free samples from Redwoods, Fry's etc were very good, thankfully, so non-vegans could at least see that vegan food can be good and the Pop My Cherry cakes were delicious. I hope the campaign stalls made lots of money.

I don't think as many people attended as the organisers hoped, I was there for most of the day and didn't get the impression that 5,000 plus people were there.

Stu

Quote veganista View Post
    I've never been to the Bristol one, is the food better there?
    By about a million billion light years.

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Don't know where Frank, Jamie etc were hiding, we didn't see them - probably dahn the pub
    really sorry I missed you guys, I was wondering whether you were coming! I was there pretty much all day. Frank spent the day in bed with a *migrain* after a heavy night drinking. He also pulled a bloke on the saturday night, its seems to be getting a bit of a habit with him

I had good weekend, was really good to see everyone although by the time we got the bombay aloo i was just a little typsy but we still managed to stay out until 5! not many weeks until bristol....
    I dont get crunchy people?

The question is, which Brighton Fayre thread do we put the photos on!? There seem to be two.

Quote veganbikerboy View Post
    really sorry I missed you guys, I was wondering whether you were coming! I was there pretty much all day. Frank spent the day in bed with a *migrain* after a heavy night drinking. He also pulled a bloke on the saturday night, its seems to be getting a bit of a habit with him

I had good weekend, was really good to see everyone although by the time we got the bombay aloo i was just a little typsy but we still managed to stay out until 5! not many weeks until bristol....
    Frank probably got a financial migraine after spending £200 out with you the previous night and your mega expensive cocktails!

And thanks to you and Elahiya for getting us thrown out of several clubs and bars - and introducing me to a tranny at 5am on the Sunday morning, then leaving me all on my own. That was not nice. I'd looked after you both all weekend as well.....

Still - I lived to fight another day - I was also last vegan standing again - after all the vegans had got home safely I could make my own way home.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Quote Cherry View Post
    The question is, which Brighton Fayre thread do we put the photos on!? There seem to be two.

The photos should go onto the meet-up thread as usual.

That's where i'll be putting mine.

Get worried VBB.......

Quote veganista View Post
    I've never been to the Bristol one, is the food better there?
    I'm guessing that they either didn't, or couldn't, buy out the on-site catering contact.

I once went to a London Vegans talk given by one of the organisers of the London Vegan festival, at Kensington Town Hall. He explained that one company had purchased the monopoly rights to do the catering for all events at Kensignton Town Hall. So if you hire it for an event, you can't offer any food. It's apparently pretty standard for these types of venues as most people (if they're doing a railway modelling show, say) don't want to do their own catering, anyway.

So the organisers of the LVF have to pay a whole load more money, over and above what you would normally pay to hire Kensington Town Hall, to buy out the catering contract and allow them to offer food. Which is how, at the LVF, you'll find about three separate food vendors in the entrance hall plus Veggies upstairs.

Bristol is held in an outdoor area, so this presumably isn't an issue.

I don't know the numbers, so I can't say that not buying out the contract was a mistake, but it did make the festival much poorer for me than Bristol and London, because for me, about 50% of a vegan festival is stuffing myself on nice food.

As well as the cafe (I got a crap burger with limp bread and soggy onions) there was apparently a restaurant upstairs doing a not particularly inspired three-course meal (the pudding choice was fruit, sorbet or a slice of chocolate cake) for something like £15.

But I didn't find the restaurant, so I couldn't comment.

the restaurant was offering a two-course meal for £15.

considering the organisers lost £15,000 on the event i think they did the right thing not buying out the catering contract otherwise they would've been even more out of pocket
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

It's such as shame that the Yaoh team are out of pocket - they do so, so much for vegan PR, and the Bristol Fayre is honestly one of the highlights of my year. Maybe an open-air festival on the Level next year rather than a pricey seafront venue?

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Maybe an open-air festival on the Level next year rather than a pricey seafront venue?
    The Level sounds promising, or possibly Preston Park.

It's pretty pricey to hire aswell, but maybe Concorde 2 would have been an option?
    Or the Sallis Benney theatre?

LuVegan15

:[ I missed it. I'm so sadd that I couldn't go.

Quote LuVegan15 View Post
    :[ I missed it. I'm so sadd that I couldn't go.
    Try for Bristol - its not too far off

hedge

How come the organisers lost £15,000???
    I went up to the restaurant and looked at the menu - the menu was good but definitely not worth 15 quid. I settled for a sandwich in the end after looking at the plates of burgers and hotdogs people were buying for 6 quid a pop.
    Luckily though I filled up on samples and freebies too and came away with 3 selections of Sheese for 6 quid and 10 quids worth of Redwood products!
    Great day and I would definitely go again if the opportunity ever arose.

The Brighton Vegan Fayre was really, really disappointing.

We were completely over charged to get in.

Then it turned out that the only catering there was handled by the Brighton Centre or their private caterers, that had a dreadful menu - they may as well have served stuffed peppers (with couscous) and vegan bangers and mash. Please, come on!

The main reason I went was to try out delicious home made vegan fayre. But basically the fayre is just a front for companies to sell and promote mock meats and cheese and processed gack.

Of course it was nice to see fellow vegans and some of the stalls weren't the above.

I know that veganism isn't all about diet and food, but I see it as playing a huge role. I scipped breakfast as I was looking forward to various wonders.

I live in Brighton and the Brighton centre is soulless. A better venue would be the old market in Hove. Something smaller, or somewhere with outside space. I was contemplating the university, but it always feels a little divorced from the town and sea front. And I guess people like to make a day of it including the beach - which I wish I'd gone to instead in the end.

When I moved to Brighton 10 yrs back, I was staggered as people actually knew what the word Vegan was and there were a couple of veggie eateries. But actually the town is still pretty hopeless for vegans or should I say good whole food. Yeah it's better than other places, but be under no illusion - it is not a vegan paradise - which can probably only be found at an allotment.

Really the fayre should feel like a celebration - the music was good. You'll never pull in non vegans unless you make the event free or very cheap or have good bands. And to be honest if I'd turned up as a vegetarian, I would have probably left shunning the whole concept.

Perhaps they were over charged for the venue, I felt well and truly ripped off, and a couple of my vegan mates felt the same, and we always try to support vegan events.

The main thing though, which I'd like to stress IMHO is that vegansim isn't about commercial catering producing vegan bangers or vegan cheese - and I think even promoting this sort of food is very dangerous. As it's practically nutritonless and a rip off. Eat locally produced whole foods - and eat well, or you'll end up like the other zombies of Britain.

Moan over.

Quote Tempeh-ting View Post

The main thing though, which I'd like to stress IMHO is that vegansim isn't about commercial catering producing vegan bangers or vegan cheese - and I think even promoting this sort of food is very dangerous. As it's practically nutritonless and a rip off. Eat locally produced whole foods - and eat well, or you'll end up like the other zombies of Britain.
    It's not about not having commercial catering producing vegan bangers or vegan cheese either. I have some vegan cheese in my fridge, do you want me to post the nutritional information? I assure you it's not nutritionless. You eat for health if you like, I'll eat for enjoyment.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    It's not about not having commercial catering producing vegan bangers or vegan cheese either. I have some vegan cheese in my fridge, do you want me to post the nutritional information? I assure you it's not nutritionless. You eat for health if you like, I'll eat for enjoyment.
    Okay fair enough, I don't mind a few of those vegan 'alternatives'. But I also don't kid myself into thinking they are healthy. Scheese (or rather Sneeze as I fondly call it) used to be laced with hydrogenated fat.

This is probably a topic for another thread. I just think it's scary to think people make these products the main stay of their diet (you'd think that visiting somewhere like the Brighton fayre). Most processed food is nutrition less, sorry.

Vegans and veggies must complement that kind of food with REAL food or one day it might just catch up with their health.

Look at the ingredients to something like a (non soya) vegetable burger, you could make something fresher with similar ingredients - quickly and easily.

I guess I'm saying this as a warning to others. I've been Vegan for over a decade, the first few years of which I didn't eat well. And I still struggle to get good fresh food. Fresh veg costs more than an arm and a leg sometimes. I'm fed up of the meat and dairy subsidies and the fact I'm charged as much for non meat/fish/cheese dishes when eating out.

Learning how and where to buy and prepare good fresh food is a far better message (I think) to send out at somewhere like the vegan fayre. A celebration of good food and a diet that doesn't cost lives, or the earth.

Of course I do occasionally poison myself for fun too

Daft question time... why is this thread still going when next year's venue, etc. has been announced on here? It's at Hove Town Hall, which is a much better venue, though I would say watch out for the catering as it's not known for being veggie friendly, unless you like chips.
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Quote Corum View Post
    Daft question time... why is this thread still going when next year's venue, etc. has been announced on here? It's at Hove Town Hall, which is a much better venue, though I would say watch out for the catering as it's not known for being veggie friendly, unless you like chips.
    Well it's billed as the 'eco veggie fayre' next year. Missing the word vegan. But that's probably fine.

I hope stalls will be there catering, rather than hove town hall. Because if it's the latter, I rather shallowly can't be bothered.

Fresh veg costs more than an arm and a leg sometimes.
    Just got our vegbox this morning - £14 from Riverford, it lasts Hemlock and I a whole fortnight!

Quote Corum View Post
    Just got our vegbox this morning - £14 from Riverford, it lasts Hemlock and I a whole fortnight!
    Sounds great. What's in it?

Perhaps I'm just really, really greedy, as every vegbox I see, looks like it would only last me a day or two.

Well it's billed as the 'eco veggie fayre' next year. Missing the word vegan. But that's probably fine.
    Personally, I find that pretty worrying. If it means an influx of vegetarian (but not vegan) products and caterers, then I'll be much less interested in attending.

Quote robb View Post
    Personally, I find that pretty worrying. If it means an influx of vegetarian (but not vegan) products and caterers, then I'll be much less interested in attending.
    I think the name change is a shrewd move to pull in, the slow foodies, the greenies and the veggies to boost numbers.

That's the kind of place that veganism needs to be promoted. And hopefully quality vegan eats and healthy vegan torsos will really impress people.

Must be a sign that Veganism is just not popular or money making, and that we have to forfeit our day - only to share it with the unenlightened riff-raff! Either way it's got to be better than this year's fayre (did I already moan about it....?)

Sounds great. What's in it?

Perhaps I'm just really, really greedy, as every vegbox I see, looks like it would only last me a day or two.
    This is next week's medium box, we got a cauliflower instead of the mushrooms. And we got cherry tomatoes instead of the vine ones.

orla potatoes UK
    bunched carrots UK
    onions UK
    mushrooms UK
    french beans UK
    sweetcorn UK
    broccoli UK
    bunched beetroot UK
    cos lettuce UK
    large vine tomatoes ES

We've still got the onions from last time's box!

anyone coming to brighton eco veggie fair this year? Emz and i are coming down with a couple of friends.

RebeccaDye

Yep!

The food is sorted this year, a vast selection of differing styles will be available.

Aunty Gee, some reallly rich and tasty curries, one for the spice lovers this.

Beanies, The veg sausage, fake meat thing done with style grace and taste.

Phuntsok, Japanese and Korean food with a little flair.

Rainforest Creations, Raw food that has to be tasted to be believed, never seen such an impressive Raw banquet laid out.

Shambhu's, An interesting menu selection of classic dishes vegan-ed up.

V bites, Better the Heather you know than thew Heather you don't

Veg Out, Always bring it varied, an everchanging menu of fine veggie dining.

Obviously there are lots of sweet and desert kind of options too, but the healthier food options have been brought up as a point of consideration.

So big tings a-gwan, am expecting some happy well fed people at this show.

Was a little disappointed by the Veggie Fayre; but maybe that's because I've been to quite a lot in the last few months, and they have the same stalls at each. Sheese had no crackers this time! But loved all the Frys and Provamel stalls. Was good to have V Bites there, but didn't try any of their food. Lovely cakes by To Happy Vegans, as usual!

I thought it was good. Very impressive selection of vegan food stalls to choose from, better than London fayres imo.

Great to try Aunty Jee's frozen curries (they were selling hot meals but also had samples to try) They were so tasty, I'll definitely be buying some of those! I'd been looking forward to trying Emily's truffles but she didn't turn up which was disappointing.
    Food on The Cowley Club stall was nice too.

Nice to bump into Gorilla, Zero and VeganLiz, shame everyone else missed it.
    (VeganLiz is still running her 'vegan cake & chocolate appreciation society' meet ups once a month in Brighton - I have her contact details if anyone is interested or you can find them on Facebook).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell