Thread: health guide

Default health guide

I just got back from my university dining hall, where I found some pamphlets on healthy eating. Surprise, surprise: I open to the first page and see the USDA's meat-eating definition of a healthy diet, which gives one the impression that vegetarianism either doesn't exist or isn't healthy. Nevermind veganism.

The "Healthy Tips" section on fats mentions meat and dairy products in all five sections, while mentioning plant-based foods in only two.

It hurts. It reminds of the 13 painful years of utterly mindless schooling I had before I graduated from high school. Thirteen wasted years. Now look at this wasted attempt at improving someone's health.

Anyone know of any good vegan health guides I could print out and leave on the table beside this junk?
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Default Re: health guide

Good idea - how about something "official" from the American Dietetic Association? Annoyingly they have made their PDF unprintable: http://www.eatright.org/ada/files/vegnp.pdf

but there is a Canadian paper you can print out:
    http://www.dietitians.ca/news/downlo...ide_for_NA.pdf

It covers vegetarianism as well as veganism - maybe you can find an all-vegan one.

If it's any consolation you see the same thing over here in the UK - some health publications completely overlook vegetarianism even though it's so common.