Thread: My problem is sweets

Default My problem is sweets

I have been a lacto ovo veggie for about 7 years........recently converted my 10 and 2 yr. old sons as well........but I've always had the desire to go vegan....have been researching it a lot lately and buying books etc.........want to do it healthy. My problem is sweets like icecream cookies.......that really taste good, I've tried some vegan that just don't taste good. I know this should be my last concern, but giving up stuff you enjoy is rough.......does anyone have any suggestions, products? hopefully I can make the transition soon.......I already don't drink milk or eat eggs in their basic form, but cooked into things.....I'm guilty..........I guess it's willpower that is holding me back......story of my life as far as diets and food go.........any help would be greatly appreciated

Quote crystal77
    I have been "lurking" around for a while myself. I have been a lacto ovo veggie for about 7 years........recently converted my 10 and 2 yr. old sons as well........but I've always had the desire to go vegan....have been researching it a lot lately and buying books etc.........want to do it healthy. My problem is sweets like icecream cookies.......that really taste good, I've tried some vegan that just don't taste good. I know this should be my last concern, but giving up stuff you enjoy is rough.......does anyone have any suggestions, products? hopefully I can make the transition soon.......I already don't drink milk or eat eggs in their basic form, but cooked into things.....I'm guilty..........I guess it's willpower that is holding me back......story of my life as far as diets and food go.........any help would be greatly appreciated
    There are many good vegan goodies out there. Paul Newman makes sandwich cream cookies like oreos that are vegan and, I think, organic that are great so does Country Choice. Soy Delicious ice cream is good but the best soy ice cream I've tried is Soy Cream which I can only find at Trader Joe's. There is a cookbook called Vice Cream and it teaches you how to make homemade vegan ice cream. I never tried it but heard it's great. And there are many, many recipes for vegan baked goods. Just click on some of the recipe links that are posted on this forum.

Thank you feline. I have tried some those cookies as well as tofutti which is very good, but I would like to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe that would fool my husband (and myself I guess) as well as some good cake recipes. I don't want to ever feel deprived. Also, the thought of no cheese is tough, because I have heard that there really are no vegan replacements that taste like the real thing. Thank you so much for your suggestions, and any further would be appreciated. I just recently purchased, but have not yet received the book "sinfully vegan" by Lois Dieterly (I think thats the name). Are you familiar with this book?

Quote crystal77
    Thank you feline. I have tried some those cookies as well as tofutti which is very good, but I would like to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe that would fool my husband (and myself I guess) as well as some good cake recipes. I don't want to ever feel deprived. Also, the thought of no cheese is tough, because I have heard that there really are no vegan replacements that taste like the real thing. Thank you so much for your suggestions, and any further would be appreciated. I just recently purchased, but have not yet received the book "sinfully vegan" by Lois Dieterly (I think thats the name). Are you familiar with this book?
    Yes, my friend has it and I looked through it. Some great recipes. There is one good cheese replacement made by Follow Your Heart called Vegan Gourmet. Comes in mozarella, cheddar, nacho and monterey jack. It melts and is very tasty. Ask your local health food store. Or you could get the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook and make your own vegan cheese. I have the book and it's fantastic.

Try posting on the recipe thread here and ask for people's favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes. It's very easy to make them vegan. Just use Earth Balance sticks to replace butter, soy milk in replacement of milk, egg replacer to replace eggs and semi-sweet chocolate chips made with soy lecithin.

Quote crystal77
    I just recently purchased, but have not yet received the book "sinfully vegan" by Lois Dieterly (I think thats the name). Are you familiar with this book?
    Great book! I have it there are plenty of recipes in there to fool Omnis and to make you happy. I make Vegan desserts for family/friends. I am not too much of a dessert eater. I do love fruit.
    Welcome to the forum!

Thank you again for your help feline and Mz natural.............I'm hoping to start of the new year as a vegan......I'm sure it will take some time for me to fully transition, but, I feel as though I will be a healthier person for it. Are there supplements/vitamins anyone can recommend that are essential for vegans (specific brands would be helpful) such as for B12 etc.........I am hoping that by becoming vegan, I not only feel better that I am not contributing to the abuse of the env. and abuse to animals, but that I improve my health as well..........lose weight, more energy........but then again, my focus on replacing cookies and icecream in my diet may be evidence to the contrary............I guess I need to reevaluate my priorities .

Quote crystal77
    Thank you again for your help feline and Mz natural.............I'm hoping to start of the new year as a vegan......I'm sure it will take some time for me to fully transition, but, I feel as though I will be a healthier person for it. Are there supplements/vitamins anyone can recommend that are essential for vegans (specific brands would be helpful) such as for B12 etc.........I am hoping that by becoming vegan, I not only feel better that I am not contributing to the abuse of the env. and abuse to animals, but that I improve my health as well..........lose weight, more energy........but then again, my focus on replacing cookies and icecream in my diet may be evidence to the contrary............I guess I need to reevaluate my priorities .
    It can be tough making changes. You have been eating a certain way for quite a few years; sometimes old habits are hard to break. I was vegetarian for 12 years before I made the switch to Vegan a few months ago.

I am making the chocolate chip cookies from “Sinfully Vegan” tomorrow. I will post the recipe along with how people like them.

I use Dr. Schulze Superfoods. There is a woman that gets it wholesale on curezone and sells it at the wholesale price. If you are interested let me know. I still have her email floating around, and I need to order more since I am running low.