Thread: Food Swings

Default Food Swings

Anyone from around New York City? If not food swings is a vegan fast food restaurant in Brooklyn. They serve basically whatever fast food restaurants would and a bunch of other stuff. I'm a bit against the idea of fake meat and soya cheese but I must admit, today I had the best milkshake I have ever had even better than when I did consume diary. Potato skins were fine but didn't care for the fake bacon bits and liquid soy cheese. Anyone else go there? Anyone have anything like this in their part of the world? Not my first choice in vegan food and nutrition, but the novelty is great!

Default Re: Food Swings

We have Red Veg in a couple of places in the UK - http://www.redveg.com/ - same idea: it's meat analogues and fast-food burger bar sort of thing. It's yum, but obviously not going to do your heart any good!

You guys are lucky. We don't have any veg burger joints around here. If one opened up, I'd definitely go though!

What I'd love more than vegan fast food would be a vegan barbeque place. That would be fantastic. I might just have to start one.

.Oops!
    Last edited by Quantum Mechanic; Jan 10th, 2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: It double posted somehow

Quote vercimus View Post
    What I'd love more than vegan fast food would be a vegan barbeque place. That would be fantastic. I might just have to start one.
    That would be awesome! Vegan barbeque options tend to be a bit limited at restaurants and cafeteria.
    Last edited by Quantum Mechanic; Jan 10th, 2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: forgot to finish my sentence

Quote vercimus View Post

Oh yeah! I will come to Texas especially, if you start one

I haven't seen one is perth

cxmnz

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    We have Red Veg in a couple of places in the UK - http://www.redveg.com/ - same idea: it's meat analogues and fast-food burger bar sort of thing. It's yum, but obviously not going to do your heart any good!
    I quite like RedVeg, used to go to the Brighton one a bit when I lived down there. I think they've improved in the past few years as when I first went the burger's tasted really processed and 'false' - obviously they're going to be to an extent, but the last time I went it was really good. Had to turn around at the top of the street to go and get another one! That may have had something to do with absorbing the many pints of cider I'd had that day.

Not sure about the 'communist chic' of the place though, seems a little misunderstood.

I saw the Red Veg site and I diddn't know what to think of the communist thing either. Kinda reminds me of punk flirting with nazi imagery, however I kinda understand how it could be "hip" it could also be off putting to some people.

Anyway, there's another fun veg restaurant around me that I found a local newspaper article on. Its a Jamaican vegetarian restaurant, lots of beans rice vegetables and steak flavored tofu. The guys who run it are great even though you can't really understand them because they speak in thick patois. they do serve fish though which I find odd, everything else there is vegan I would guess. Some things I'm not sure about but I have no idea why'd they'd use eggs or dairy in any of their cooking.

http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=3203

The more I think about it, I do complain about how little there is do around here, but there does happen to be a lot of great food around here if you have the money...
    lets see also...

http://www.mamounsfalafel.com/
    also a location in NYC

+1 for Red Veg. It's pretty much my default eats when I go out in London because it's yummy, quick and my omni friends are perfectly happy eating there. I normally have the Mushroom Veg burger or Hot Dog and fries.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I want to live in New York!!!!

Quote fiamma View Post
    I want to live in New York!!!!
    me too... I'm less than 2 hours away by car, but I'm stuck going to school in CT. Hopefully I can find some work when I graduate, but even a shitty apartment runs 2400 a month in Manhattan. Looks like I'll be living in Jersey... Someone even told me brooklyn rents going up

Yeah and Queens can be pretty expensive as well, unless you get a roommate or two to split the costs with. My friend's boyfriend just got an apartment in Astoria with a friend of his, and they're paying 700 a month each.

Today I'm just littering the VF with my pictures so here goes...

Chiken Parm, my fav.

Meal named after some train...pretty much a soy cheeze burger with fries

BellaVegan shake vanilla iceream, cookies and pb mm mm mmm!

Really effin nasty mac 'n' cheeze. really, don't get it.

chocolate pb cheese cake

everything i've ever gotten there was awesome except that mac n cheeze

Mac and cheese is difficult. I've had a couple of good ones, though.

I went to Food Swings, but all I got was a root beer float, I think, because I had already eaten. Shoulda saved room.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly