Thread: Shepherd's Pie - YUM!

Default Shepherd's Pie - YUM!

Vegan Shepherd’s Pie

This is a non-traditional shepherd’s pie to which I have added chipotle pepper and cilantro. If you don’t like those flavors, you could substitute thyme and parsley, maybe rosemary. Yeah, that might be nice too!

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 garlic cloves chopped
    1 onion diced
    2 large carrots diced small
    4 large parsnips diced small (we love parsnips)
    3-4 celery stalks, diced small
    1 package St. Yves ground “beef”
    1 can diced tomatoes DRAINED (14.5)
    1 can tomato paste
    3 large potatoes
    1 handful of chopped cilantro
    ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper
    1 cup vegetable broth
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    salt
    pepper

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

“Potato Top”
    Peel, chop, and boil potatoes until soft enough to mash. Drain and place in big bowl. Add ½ cup regular unflavored soy milk, chopped cilantro, Dijon mustard, chipotle pepper, and salt. Mash by hand OR use electric mixer to mix to desired texture. Set aside.

“Meat Bottom”
    Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil to frying pan. Add garlic, onions, carrots, parsnips and celery. Saute until golden and soft, about 10-12 minutes. Add St. Yves mince meat, tomato paste, tomatoes, and veggie stock. Stir until evenly distributed, about 3 minutes or until the mixture becomes kind of thick. Remove from heat.

Place “meaty bottom” in rectangular glass casserole (9 x 4 x 2). Smooth “potato top” on top of meat mixture.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until desired golden top. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Serves 3-6.

BlackCats

Default Re: Shepherd's Pie--YUM!

That sounds delicious. I haven't had shepherd's pie in ages. I don't think I have any veggie mince in the freezer or I would be tempted to make that when I get in tonight. I could use lentils instead I suppose.

hedge

Default Re: Shepherd's Pie - YUM!

Sounds YUM!
    Because Mince is impossible to find here I always sub this with Lentils in my Shepherds Pie - soooo tasty and good.

I love Shepherd's Pie. It's so tasty and filling. I usually use a mix of sweet potatoes and potatoes for the top and veggie mince (or lentils), carrots, mushrooms, tomato, celery and onion for the bottom. I like sliced tomato, Cheezly and a generous splash of veggie Worcestershire sauce on the top too. I normally have it with some greens.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

BlackCats

That sounds nice Beanstew, I was wondering what you would serve the pie with, my husband said chips but greens would be much more healthy.

hedge

My other half always has the leftovers the next day with Chips!!

Peas (cooked with spring onions for extra yum) are good with pie too.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

BlackCats

I tried to make Shepherd's pie yesterday but it came out a bit wrong because I burnt the potatoes whilst I was chatting on the phone. It was nice though, I mashed the unburnt parts of the potatoes with soya cream and I put the peas in the lentil mince part.

This one is popular:
    hepherd’s Pie

This pie is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter evening.

• 4 medium potatoes, diced
      2 Tbsp. margarine
      1/4 cup soy milk or liquid nondairy creamer
      Salt and pepper, to taste
      1 medium onion, finely chopped
      1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
      12 oz. faux ground beef-style crumbles (try Yves® Veggie Ground Round)
      1 10.5-oz. can Campbells mushroom gravy (or 1 1/4 cups prepared vegetarian gravy of your choice)
      1 6-oz. can mixed peas and carrots, drained
      Salt, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne, to taste

• Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash with the margarine and soy milk or nondairy creamer. Season with salt and pepper.
    • In a medium pan, sauté the onion in the oil until translucent.
    • In a medium bowl, mix the cooked onions, faux beef crumbles, mushroom gravy, peas and carrots, and spices. Pour into a pie pan. Top the crumble mixture with the potatoes, spreading to the edges.
    • Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are browned and the crumble mixture bubbles out the edges.

I wouldn't dream of putting soya mince (or any other faux meat product) in my shepherds pie, not with all the effort it takes to make one.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BlackCats

^ I think adding veggie mince gives it a nice gloopy texture. But lentils are very nice too, or both actually.

I want to make this again tonight now.

My local health store do a nice Shephard's pie with Aduki beans instead of faux meat, plus a good amount of veggie Worcester sauce.

As Risker said, I'm always afraid to put mock meats into anything I cook for fear it'll ruin it. I recently made Isa's chili from VWAV and the seitan made the whole thing godawful.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Buddha Belly

I do a quick and easy one. Cooked onion with TVP that has been hydrated in Bisto gravy. Dash of Worcester sauce then add mash.

Tinned green lentils always go into my shepherd's pie, veggie bolognese & chilli - it beefs it up a bit (pardon the expression) and is a cheeky way to get a bit of extra lentil goodness into my other half
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

BlackCats

^ I've never tried tinned lentils.:smile:

I am going to make a Shepherd's pie today and have it with broccoli or green beans, or maybe both.

Buddha Belly

I've started to add some balsamic vinegar as it adds sweet and sour tang to the 'mince'.