Thread: diet help needed

Default diet help needed

HI everyone this is my first time posting here but I could use some help.

I've been vegetarian for about 14 years about 4 of those being spent vegan, then some health problems forced me to stop being vegan and now I do eat vegan as often as possible but am not always able to. Part of that being multiple food allergies. I've been wanting to go back to being vegan for a few years but just haven't had the motivation due to "what the heck am I going to eat"

If you have any ideas/help I'd love to hear. Things I am allergic to include:

soy
    wheat
    corn
    peanuts (this includes legume sensitivities)
    tree nuts

So pretty much every veggie source of protein...I did an elimination diet and that certainly helped. I am able to tolerate small amounts of wheat products though pasta is the worst. Corn is bad, as is soy. My allergist says no to all nuts/peanuts.

Food is not fun for me.

Default Re: diet help needed

So pretty much every veggie source of protein...
    Hi,
    check this thread:

What are your favourite vegan protein sources?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

the only thing on that list I can see not being a big problem is spinich/greens and sprouts. I can't imagine just eating those as my main source of protein. I tried Quinoa last night and it made me soooooo sick, like sicker than anything I've ever eaten

You don't mention seeds - can you eat those? Do you have to avoid all legumes or just peanuts -what about lentils etc?

Virtually all foods do contain protein but in your case you'd probably need to do some sums to make sure you're getting enough. There are various tables of foods and their protein content on the web but you might be better consulting a professional dietician to start with as your diet is rather limited by your allergies.

my allergist tells me because I have a peanut allergy this will make me sensitive to all legumes. Most legumes I have tried I have varying reactions so it's really a hit or miss type thing. Right now I am doing another elimination diet for a couple of months just to get things back on track and see what I can and cant handle. I tried Quinoa the other night since I didn't think that would hurt me and god I wanted to die. I don't have any problems with rice products so I do smoothies with rice protein powder when I have to.

Hmm, I've read that people who have peanut allergies are not necessarily allergic to other legumes (see here for example http://www.faiusa.org/?page=peanuts ). If you find that as you say there are some that you don't react to then that could be quite useful to you as they are good sources of protein.

Are you OK with any seeds other than quinoa, such as sunflower, pumpkin, sesame etc, or don't you know yet?

I only really eat sesame seeds regularly enough to know I am ok with sesame seeds (though I don't really eat them in a large quantity). I would imagine I am ok with pumkin seeds as I am ok with actual pumpkin.