Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: raising a child with an omni

Default Re: raising a child with an omni

Quote pie View Post
    i have let my daughter make her own choices, even as a vegan i don't think we should 'decide' what another human being should eat
    Hi Pie,

I understand the freedom aspect, but the way I see it, you'll have to make decisions on behalf of others whatever you do, so I have some questions for you...

What if a your child would eat only sugary, fat junk food every day, skip dinner and eat chocolate instead? Would you buy it for her - because you can't decide what another being should eat?

Is it right (for a vegan parent point of view) that the child shall decide that you, a vegan, shall spend money on meat/animal cruelty - in other words, do something you are against?

Is it right - from an animal's point of view - that you shall decide that it shall become your child's food... or: what makes the most sense respecting the animal's right to live or the your child's taste buds?

You can't avoid making a decision, really - the question is which decision that's most important to take... Remember, we aren't only giving our kids food, we are also giving them something much... 'bigger': habits.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    I would think that too if I just met someone new. I've been with my partner since long before I turned vegan and i was vegetarian but not so strict - i didn't used to mind cooking meat (used to be manager in a burger bar!). But I also would want any future offspring to be vegan and i know he wouldn't but what am I to do...I can't just dump him coz of that??? He's otherwise perfect lol.
    it's an individual choice. i'm merely stating that i personally could never raise a non-vegan child, and i would rather not have children at all than have conflict with my partner about what they should eat. if i found the perfect partner for myself but (s)he wasn't vegan, i just wouldn't have kids. perhaps my comment wasn't very constructive seeing as most of the replies to this thread have been from people with differing views about what's important in life.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Guate_Vegan View Post
    ^ Maybe I'm close minded but to me that DOES make a bad person. I'm sorry but I'm way too serious about my veganism to ever damage animals through my children & partner. They MUST be vegan. I don't even understand how vegans can have vegetarian partners!
    Perhaps in time you'll come to understand that there's more to a person than whether they are vegan or not. I know one vegan who treats women like absolute sh*t... does he make the perfect partner simply because of his ethical choices? My (omnivore) boyfriend is one of the most loving, caring, beautiful people I've ever met, and he's helped me through some incredibly difficult times. I do understand where you're coming from, Guate Vegan, and as I've already said, I think you're incredibly lucky and privileged to be able to take such a stance in your personal life. But believe me it is not so easy for everyone to find a vegan partner... should this condemn them to a life of solitude?

Guate_Vegan, how long have you been vegan? How old are you?

I don't wish to attack anyone, really. I would not raise an omni child, either. I wouldn't feed a child anything I deem unhealthy and dangerous... let alone the ethical aspects of eating animal products (I'm guessing most will understand). But I also think life experience teaches us that acceptance of diversity and differences is what makes life interesting. Plus, we can never hope to move forward with the vegan cause if we don't engage in relationships with people with different dietary or lifestyle choices. At one time, you were not yet vegan... maybe the people you deem "bad people" are not yet educated enough about the cause to make this kind of decision. I think it'd benefit both you and the people you encounter to be more open-minded and accepting.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

yes i do see your point of view korn and of course i wouldn't let my child live on a diet of sugary sweets and chocolate but as i said she is vegetarian and it is a start and i hope in time she will join me to be a vegan too but i honestly don't think (even as a parent) that i should dictate what she eats, neither do i buy her food, her father does!!

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    But I also think life experience teaches us that acceptance of diversity and differences is what makes life interesting. Plus, we can never hope to move forward with the vegan cause if we don't engage in relationships with people with different dietary or lifestyle choices. At one time, you were not yet vegan... maybe the people you deem "bad people" are not yet educated enough about the cause to make this kind of decision. I think it'd benefit both you and the people you encounter to be more open-minded and accepting.
    Great post Ella I agree totally.

[quote=Korn;546112]Hi Pie,

Is it right (for a vegan parent point of view) that the child shall decide that you, a vegan, shall spend money on meat/animal cruelty - in other words, do something you are against?

i forgot to say i only cook my child and partner vegan meals if they choose to eat dairy then they make it and buy it themselves

To VeganVic: That's why I didn't say that you should divorce your husband, that would be quite..extreme. Especially because you have a child. I just that's what I personally believe, and if it's narrow minded than so be it, I'm not forcing anyone to live like I do.

Horseless Paul: YES! I AM a judgmental teenager, sue me. The best part is that I don't care, and like you said, I am a teenager, so I don't look AS ridiculous talking like this like if someone that was 10 years older than me (even then I would respect their opinion), and if I change then it's only normal since I AM 17 (Though I doubt I would ever date an omni or even a veg., I say that because I don't even see them that way or put them in the position where I could even let them think of ME that way). I never said you have to try to live up to my standards, that's my personal belief and I'm not going to change it or make others follow it.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Guate_Vegan, how long have you been vegan? How old are you?

I don't wish to attack anyone, really. I would not raise an omni child, either. I wouldn't feed a child anything I deem unhealthy and dangerous... let alone the ethical aspects of eating animal products (I'm guessing most will understand). But I also think life experience teaches us that acceptance of diversity and differences is what makes life interesting. Plus, we can never hope to move forward with the vegan cause if we don't engage in relationships with people with different dietary or lifestyle choices. At one time, you were not yet vegan... maybe the people you deem "bad people" are not yet educated enough about the cause to make this kind of decision. I think it'd benefit both you and the people you encounter to be more open-minded and accepting.
    Been vegetarian for 7 years, vegan for 4. I'm 17 (senior in high school).

I understand that, but I have my personal opinion of it, and I understand that I may change someday, but I HIGHLY doubt in that specific aspect, since I'm so dead serious and dedicated to it.

I wasn't vegan because I didn't know anything about it, but once I knew what was wrong with dairy and eggs etc, I changed. The type of omnis and vegs that bother me are those that KNOW what's going on and just refuse to change because they simply don't feel like it. Or those that refuse to see what's going on because THEY KNOW that what they're doing is wrong. Other than that I'm not saying that ALL omnis and vegs are bad, but the ones I know are pretty close minded and I know a lot of people (I go to school in a place that has about 3,000 students). Lately it's been noticeable to me though that even if they're older, they seem as immature about veganism and not hurting others as the teenagers that go to school with me, which is really lame and depressing.

I have completely detached myself from them due to the so many bad experiences, and that's why I think that I'm so intolerable of anyone that even makes a joke about my vegan lifestyle.
    - Samuel Beckett

Quote fiamma View Post
    Perhaps in time you'll come to understand that there's more to a person than whether they are vegan or not. I know one vegan who treats women like absolute sh*t... does he make the perfect partner simply because of his ethical choices? My (omnivore) boyfriend is one of the most loving, caring, beautiful people I've ever met, and he's helped me through some incredibly difficult times. I do understand where you're coming from, Guate Vegan, and as I've already said, I think you're incredibly lucky and privileged to be able to take such a stance in your personal life. But believe me it is not so easy for everyone to find a vegan partner... should this condemn them to a life of solitude?
    Yes, I understand that too. I used to think (before I met more vegans) that ALL vegans were just perfect human beings...well little did I know. Of course, many vegans can be really rude or just 'bad' (depends what you think is bad) in different things, so I'm not saying that he's/she's going to be perfect just because they're vegan. But if an omni is seriously nice and kind and like you describe your boyfriend, I think that they'd be willing to extend their niceness to non-human animals as well. That's just my take on it. Now if anyone feels like dating omnis because they can't wait around for a vegan, than I'm not exactly stopping them. The rest are just my personal opinions.

Also, I'm agreeing with you Gorilla.
    - Samuel Beckett

Quote pie View Post
    of course i wouldn't let my child live on a diet of sugary sweets and chocolate
    i honestly don't think (even as a parent) that i should dictate what she eats
    1) I don't think these two sentences go relly well ago together, because if you would let your child live on that diet, you are already making important decisions on her behalf (just like all children do). Would you serve her pancakes every day if her father bought the ingredients?
    2) It could be a male/female thing. That I wouldn't prepare or serve my kids animal products isn't dependent on who went to the grocery store and bought the product - I just don't want to be involved in doing this with/for my kids that I know isn't good for them (or for the animals/environment).
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote Guate_Vegan View Post
    Horseless Paul: YES! I AM a judgmental teenager, sue me. The best part is that I don't care, and like you said, I am a teenager, so I don't look AS ridiculous talking like this like if someone that was 10 years older than me (even then I would respect their opinion), and if I change then it's only normal since I AM 17 (Though I doubt I would ever date an omni or even a veg., I say that because I don't even see them that way or put them in the position where I could even let them think of ME that way). I never said you have to try to live up to my standards, that's my personal belief and I'm not going to change it or make others follow it.
    Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. You do come across in this thread in a way which does sound like you are looking down on others and you say you don't care but you also say you don't expect others to follow your choices. Which is it?
    I wouldn't use your youth as an excuse for anything, it does you and all young people a disservice. You are obviously a bright and compassionate individual and I'm sure that alienating yourself from a potentially supportive group of vegans in a world of omnivores is not your intention. Generally I find your posts to be well worth the read.
    For what it's worth, my daughter is your age and has been vegan for the same length of time. I also seriously doubt whether I will ever have a relationship with a non-vegan. It's a funny old world, eh.

Peas Love Unity.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

korn, i do agree with you in principal but i wasn't actually a vegan when she was born 12 years ago, i was vegetarian, maybe that had something to do with my decision, i discussed with her last night what we had been talking about on the forum and she said 'there's no way i becoming vegan' so how do you reply to that one: punish her, throw her out onto the streets, not talk to her etc etc, she is more important to me than my vegan beliefs and always will be i shall continue to encourage her to become vegan but i am not about to force her and risk spoiling our relationship, she is a very happy, healthy well adjusted child who i'm very proud of, i think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!!

'i shall continue to encourage her to become vegan but i am not about to force her and risk spoiling our relationship, she is a very happy, healthy well adjusted child who i'm very proud of, i think we'll have to agree to disagree on this '
    'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

i also think that if a child is happy to be vegan then that's great but just because they are a child we shouldn't control them, i can't control my father, he's an omni, i can't control my partner, he's an omni but i could control my child, why? becase SHE IS A CHILD, so that's not controlling that's bullying and i hate bullies...... any with regard to the question would i make her pancakes because her father bought the ingredients then as i previuously said i DON'T cook them anything other than vegan!

Well, this discussion has definitely made me more resolved than ever to raise my future kids as vegan. I'm sure I will as I'm so determined on this. I won't mind if my partner understands my diet but can't be fully vegan, but I'd want him to relent to let me raise our kids vegan for sure, otherwise we would be hard for me to have a family with him.....

WOW this thread is intense!

Guate- i've actually really enjoyed reading your posts as for the past while and have never really realised you were 17 either, and thats awesome that you are so strong in your beliefs, but here is my question...do you have friends that are omni, and what about your family members? If you do isn't it the same situation as being in a "in love" relationship?

My finance is an omni, and I am EXTREMELY strong about my beliefs, but I can't change him, I don't expect to, and he is EXTREMELY respectful of mine, more so than anyone else. And he sticks up for Vegans. I couldn't ask for a better man in my life, sure I wish he was Vegan, it would make everything so much easier, but until he is ready to be Vegan there really isn't anything I could do.

Fiamma- watch it lady about the California comment, I live there too!!!

Ella- your post was beautiful. <3
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote missbettie View Post
    WOW this thread is intense!

Guate- i've actually really enjoyed reading your posts as for the past while and have never really realised you were 17 either, and thats awesome that you are so strong in your beliefs, but here is my question...do you have friends that are omni, and what about your family members? If you do isn't it the same situation as being in a "in love" relationship?

My finance is an omni, and I am EXTREMELY strong about my beliefs, but I can't change him, I don't expect to, and he is EXTREMELY respectful of mine, more so than anyone else. And he sticks up for Vegans. I couldn't ask for a better man in my life, sure I wish he was Vegan, it would make everything so much easier, but until he is ready to be Vegan there really isn't anything I could do.

Fiamma- watch it lady about the California comment, I live there too!!!

Ella- your post was beautiful. <3
    lol it's intense.

do you have friends that are omni, and what about your family members?

Yes, my best friends are omnis, unfortunately, and apart from my boyfriend I have absolutely no real life vegan friends, not even vegetarian. Nobody in my family is vegan, only a cousin in Guatemala is vegetarian and my 14 year old sister (for about 4 years now).

If you do isn't it the same situation as being in a "in love" relationship?

I don't consider it so because I won't have to spend the rest of my life with them, sleeping with them, even have babies with them. About my family, I really don't care because I was brought into it, I never asked to be part of them, and I really dislike them all and have nothing really to do with them, they're really close minded religious people that do not believe in respecting other people's beliefs (talking about my extended family, my immediate family is the same way but have learned to be quiet in front of me when they feel like being homophobic or other stupid things).

About my friends, they're my best friends and I love them to death, but I've known them FOREVER, even before I became vegan. There are three of my bestest friends (the rest are just colleagues and classmates, people I go out with if I want to go out to a party, etc, not very serious butt buddies). Two of them are very religious Muslims (One is Afghan and the other one is Sri Lankan/Filipino), and the other one is a very very studious Vietnamese Buddhist, and like I've mentioned before, there is no way to fight with religion. I could say whatever I want but in the end, the holy Qu'ran says that animals are OURS to use as we please (w/e).

The main reason that we have maintained this such close friendship is because 1. We NEVER talk about our differences (that they're not vegan), and I've learned that to have friends at the moment, I have to just ignore the fact that they eat animals (I'm leaving to college soon though and I hope that at least 95% of my friends will be at least vegetarian, the other 5% just colleagues) 2. We focus on a different aspect of our lives that is exactly the same, and we basically fulfill that need to talk about it and understand with each other, but at the same time I have my boyfriend as a bestie and he fulfills my 'bitching about vegan stuff' side which he totally agrees on.

GAH So much writing and I have a math test and a band competition tomorrow!

Yes, but see, there it is, until 'he's ready' to be vegan, that means that there IS a chance of him being vegan and that he hopes to be one one day 'when he's ready'. At least that's hopeful, I just completely don't understand those partners that want NOTHING to do with veganism and it's compassionate viewpoints and the vegans are still with them, even if they suffer knowing that they disagree in such an integral part of their lives.

What about kids though? I can't imagine my boyfriend somehow even posing the idea of having kids and feeding them eggs and dairy...it would kill me inside.

Bottom line, I take veganism somehow like a 'religion' part of a person, something much more even (since it's to help OTHERS, not yourself -even though it happens anyway-) and I think that eventually the vegans in the relationship with an omni will disagree and get so upset that they just DON'T GET IT that they will start trying to leave. That's at least what happened to me and my previous boyfriend.

And I'm sorry if I'm coming down intolerant towards omnis, but it really hurts when they know exactly what's going down in factory farms, animal testing labs, and other animal rights issues, and they just don't feel like being vegan because it's not in their best interest...it seems to me the rock bottom of selfish and superficial behavior.
    - Samuel Beckett

Quote pie View Post
    i also think that if a child is happy to be vegan then that's great but just because they are a child we shouldn't control them, i can't control my father, he's an omni, i can't control my partner, he's an omni but i could control my child, why? becase SHE IS A CHILD, so that's not controlling that's bullying and i hate bullies...... any with regard to the question would i make her pancakes because her father bought the ingredients then as i previuously said i DON'T cook them anything other than vegan!

See, I see it this way. People raise their kids like them religion wise, and think that they are ONE HUNDRED percent right in doing so. They raise them however THEY are and I would say most of them continue being so if they truly got the point of the religion, so 'making' a child be veg is nothing more than raising them like YOU are, and when you compare it with raising a child with your own religion, most people get it (just an example, veganism is not a religion). Also, I think it's more important than a religion because it's to help OTHERS, not just to achieve a certain heaven after death, etc.
    - Samuel Beckett

Speaking from experience, btw, it is VERY difficult for us vegan women to find a suitable vegan man. It's near impossible really in certain areas. One would have to get very lucky indeed. I have a vegan boyfriend but it's a long-distance relationship right now and I'm not sure how it'll end up. I will hold out as there is nobody else even remotely vegan like him that I'd marry anytime soon.

I think, and I may be wrong, that there are a lot more straight vegan females then straight vegan males. So what are we suppose to do? Be single forever with are cats to keep us company? I think it's great for those people that found a vegan parent, but I think others that are judging those of us that date/marry/have children with omnis that it's not practical in some of the places that we live in restrict others like that.

Also, about this whole "vegans are good, omnis and bad" theme I see. That's ridiculous. I refuse to believe their is only .01% (just a guess) of good people in the world. If we want others to be more accepting of us then maybe we shouldn't act so superior to them. I'm personally a little offended by those statement because for most of my adult life I was an omni. If the right circumstances didn't happen to present themselves to me I'd still be an omni. I was lucky enough to come across good info and have an open mind and be in a place in my life where I was ready to make a big change. Does this make me better then everyone else? I don't think so.

For personal experience with dating, the vegan I dated used me and never called again, the vegitarian did the same, the omni I'm dating now have complete respect for me and my beliefs and in three months has not once eaten anything non-vegan in front of me. I'm not saying vegan guys are scum (of course!) I'm just saying not all vegan guys are "good people" and omnis aren't "bad people".
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

BlackCats

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I think others that are judging those of us that date/marry/have children with omnis that it's not practical in some of the places that we live in restrict others like that.
    I keep reading this thread and I think people are taking what some people are saying very personally. I am married to an omni man and so I don't have a problem with it but I can see why other vegans would have difficulty with having a relationship with an omni. I have read quite a few people on this forum say they would only want to have a relationship with another vegan and I think it is completely understandable.

I think alot depends on your lifestyle and beliefs when you met your partner/ when you had children. If I'd started a relationship with an omni before I became vegan I wouldn't break up with them on that basis. I'd be upset about it but that alone wouldn't be enough to end a relationship if I loved everything else about the person. For example, my mum eats meat - I wish she didn't but I still love her dearly.
    However, if I became single now, I really don't think I'd consider dating an omni (although it's hard to know exactly how you'd react if you met someone amazing, my respect for animals is such a big part of who I am I'd want to share my life with someone who felt the same). I would date a veggie though as I figure there's real scope for them to become vegan with the right information (as I did myself).
    Luckily it's all theoritical for me as my partner and I turned vegan together.
    I still worry about hypothetical children though. But my biggest concern is opposition from my family, not my partner. I know I shouldn't worry what other people think as long as I believe what I'm doing is right, but I don't want people thinking I'm extreme or brainwashing my child. I suppose we would raise it vegan until it was old enough to make its own choices and then hope that it remained vegan.
    I sort of have the same worry as your fiancee about the McDonalds party type situation cherry chops. I agree that kids get bullied over all sorts of things but if my child was invited to any kind of party, I don't believe it would be right to stop them going. Of course you can provide your own food for them but it's true that most young kids just want to fit in and I would feel guilty for making them stand out. Equally I couldn't buy dairy to feed my child - if I'm paying for it I don't feel it makes a difference whether they are eating it or I am.

My omnivore parents didn't allow me to go to McDonalds when I was an omni, then vegetarian child. It hasn't adversely affected me.

Quote Charlotte View Post
    My omnivore parents didn't allow me to go to McDonalds when I was an omni, then vegetarian child. It hasn't adversely affected me.
    That's good to know. Did you never resent them for that decision when you were too young to understand it and your friends were going there?

I can't remember resenting it, I wasn't a kid who pestered for stuff and it was more a we never went there rather than 'thou shalt not go to McDonalds' . My mum was annoyed when we had a school trip there but I went (I wasn't keen to go either as a veggie). I think I picked up the food snobbery of my parents and privately disparaged those who ate crappy fast food and takeaways....

I think if you explain to your kids why you don't take them to McDonalds or the zoo or whatever they'll be more receptive to your beliefs than if you just say 'no'. Support them if they get stick at school, kids will pick on kids for anything and sadly nearly all will go through teasing at best whether they are omnivores or vegans. The best thing you can do is develop their confidence and self esteem.

Quote Charlotte View Post
    I think if you explain to your kids why you don't take them to McDonalds or the zoo or whatever they'll be more receptive to your beliefs than if you just say 'no'. Support them if they get stick at school, kids will pick on kids for anything and sadly nearly all will go through teasing at best whether they are omnivores or vegans. The best thing you can do is develop their confidence and self esteem.
    Thanks Charlotte, you're right. I'm probably worrying too much.... especially as my children are only theoretical!

One of the reasons that I split with my fiancé was becoming vegan. Of course there were other factors, and he was, for the most part, supportive of my choice. Sometimes when one person in a relationship changes, the relationship can't take it. Now I would rather date someone who was at least vegetarian.

I know that if we had have had kids that the vegan thing would have caused major problems with the inlaws, so I feel kind of off the hook about that!

I am vegan, my partner is omni and our child is vegetarian, I have agreed with Pie in all her posts in this thread and also feel that because I have chosen a vegan diet my child also has that right to choice. I might be over simplifying for myself but at the moment as a very new vegan I feel I can't and won't impose my choice on others. We have no religion in our family, just the usual respect and love for each other and the freedom to express our opinions. I didn't raise my child vegetarian but as one for many years I obviously cooked for all of us and 2 years ago she made the choice to cut all meat and meat based ingredients from her diet. She was only 8 at the time but even the kiddy crack of haribo didn't sway her. I have no doubt she will make the transition in her own time, she obviously already eats mainly vegan meals because that is what I cook.
    My partner is a fairly new coeliac, before that diagnosis he was eating about 99% vegan diet with the odd milk chocolate bar but his choice as his diet has been restricted is to eat some free range organic meat about once/twice a week. I have asked him a few times why he has chosen this but he isnt sure himself, I think its probably a reaction to the severe diet change and I expect in time he will choose to give it up. I dont buy it or cook it for him so I feel it isnt my call really. I dont like it! I don't like having flesh in my home but again I feel I can't make that choice for him.

Like a lot of people my vegan life isn't ideal, I just get on with it and make my own choices and make the meals I cook as appealing as possible to others and see that as my best option for the tempting and gentle education of others.

My husband is an omni. DiaShel you made me laugh (and I agree) because if I'd waited around for even just a vegetarian I would've died alone as The Crazy Cat Lady. My husband has lots of amazing qualities and he's doing the best that he can at this point in his journey.

We have two children. Since I was ovo-lacto till, like, last week that is how my 2 year old daughter is accustomed to eating (my little 3 month old guy is on an all-human milk vegan diet and will be for a while. ) It woudn't be fair, even if it were possible, to make my daughter change overnight. I'm going to phase out the dairy and eggs that I offer. So far it's working; she seems fine with vegan cheese when she asks for cheese. Maybe if you start them early it actually tastes normal??

At any rate...my husband and I decided that we were both responsible for teaching our daughter how to eat. He respects my request not to feed her meat and since I cook it's not around very often unless he makes it or brings it home. But if she gets older and asks to try it, that's her choice just as it's my husband's choice. There's no point in trying to force someone. I don't know what age I'm going to bring up the animal rights aspects but it's definitely not now. You have to talk to children in an age-appropriate way. Right now she's still pretty young and I don't think she realizes that there are things I will not eat, let alone why. "That's a murdered animal" wouldn't go over very well nor would it be a good thing to tell her. She's too little to handle that kind of information.
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." -- Flannery O'Connor

I'd say 2 is an easier age than later when the reality then is all too graphic. I started with flowers make seeds/ old plant dies/ new plant grows. Worked up to bird eats worms/spider eats flies. Then we talked about animals as food for people: sausages are piggies sort of thing. All very low-key.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Hello - I last posted here ages ago and at that time my husband and son were both omnis. My son is six now and chose just under a year ago to become a vegetarian. I recently did a food diary for school which made me realise he was vegan on 5 days out of 7. He doesn't know yet about the horrors of dairy, but we have some rescued chickens which has put him off eggs. He no longer knowingly eats them. My husband is inching towards being a veggie, but not there yet. I don't think he'll ever eat chicken again though because of Hettie and Enry. I suppose I am posting this to say that slow plodding seems to be helping us move in a more vegan directionas a family.

My only problem now is the school......

leedsveg

Hi Verencemos

I'm really glad that things are working out for you.

lv

Kimberlily1983

Hmmm, interesting, intense thread it sure is...

So, of course, I must add my 2 cents.

Okay, vegans seem to fall into 2 camps. There are the ones who think it's all a matter of personal choice, and no one - vegan, vegetarian, omnivore - is "better" than anyone else, that everyone needs to make the choice that's right for them. Then there are vegans who think that everyone should be vegan, that we all have a moral duty to be vegan.

I fall into the second camp.

For me, it makes just as much sense to say that I respect the choice of rapists to rape their victims, of murderers to kill their victims, etc. as it does to say I respect others' choices to eat meat, dairy, etc. That's not to say that I'm morally superior to these people in every respect, or necessarily overall a better person. There are meat-eaters out there who, I'm sure, do a lot more for others and are better people than I am overall. But at the very least in this one respect, yes, I am better than them. With respect to this one issue, anyone who's vegan for the purpose of opposing animal exploitation and refusing to contribute to it, is superior to someone who supports this exploitation, in this one respect at least.

That's not to say vegans can't be nasty people. For instance, Hitler (who at best it seems was a semi-vegetarian, certainly not a vegan) was a pretty nasty person. However, he claimed to care about animal rights, and a result, he perhaps exploited animals less than the average person. In this one respect, he was better than others who could never do the horrible things he did, but who exploit animals day in, day out.

That said, I don't believe I could have a long-term life partner that wasn't vegan. Certainly we can't control who we fall in love with, but I do think if I ever had feelings for a non-vegan, they would start to fade quickly if this person didn't become vegan for the right reasons (it should not be to please me, or for health, but because it's the right thing to do). I understand what other people are saying: that it's hard to find a vegan partner, etc. I also understand that if this is a choice you made AFTER getting together with your significant other, that might change things. It would certainly be harder to walk away from someone you'd been with for years, possibly have children with, etc. I'm not sure I wouldn't do it, though. I don't know what I would have done if my partner hadn't made the choice to go vegan right after I did. I remember thinking I couldn't see how I could remain partners with him if he didn't do this. We've been together seven and a half years, and it would be a lot to give up, but this is how much it means to me.

It's one thing to be non-vegan if you're ignorant of what the animals go through. I don't judge these people. I don't judge kids who don't know any better, who are lied to by their parents or by industry, etc. But if you know, and you choose to keep supporting it... that I can't respect. I respect it in the sense that I understand people have the legal right to do it, that it is their choice, but it is not a choice I can respect.

I can respect a person for the many other good things they might do, but if they know the issues and make the choice to remain non-vegan, I lose a bit of respect for them. I would feel the same way if, for instance, they knew that a company they buy stuff from employs children in sweat shops, and refused to switch to a more ethical company. While I can maintain friendships with such people, I don't think I could sustain a romantic relationship for long: I just can't see myself being able to feel that way about a person that didn't care about the consequences of their actions in this way, or wanting to share my life to that extent with such a person.

My husband is omni and so are our kids. That being said, I became a vegan recently, so it's not like I'd divorce him now because of it. However, I am the cook and the shopper in our house, so they get what I buy. Luckily, he's open to any kind of food, so he's not complaining. Our kids are good eaters and never liked much non-vegan stuff. My older one has never liked meat, but she loves the vegan protein I buy.

They do get fed at creche which is my biggest concern, because I don't want them filling up on processed crap. They only started this week, so I'll keep an eye on the menu and if it's full of too much of it, then I'll pack their meals.