Thread: Second time around...

Default Second time around...

Hi everyone!!

I joined this forum last year as a vegan but am ashamed to say that my efforts didn't last more than 5 months. I've tried again, countless times but haven't done my best (obviously) until now.

I am on DAY #3 again and feeling great in both body and mind.
    I've been a vegetarian for almost 16 years now so why is being a vegan so much more difficult for me?

I know what my problem is and it lies in the one and only: cheese.
    I can abstain at home- I never buy cheese or dairy products for the house and make sure my soy products and bread are dairy free, but when I am out with my boyfriend and we are having a couple drinks at the local establishment I tend to lose all willpower and forget why I became vegan in the first place. My biggest downfall is pizza, which at this rate I am eating once a week.

Some of you will probably find this insulting but it's the truth. I honestly thing it's a matter of addiction- could this be true? Is cheese really addicting or is it all in my head?

I want to be strong. I want to be a better person and not contribute to the suffering of animals but for some reason I have had a hard time sticking to my guns.

Do many of you date vegans as well? If not, how do you get past the hurdle of dating a cheese lover?

I know, in the end, if it really means that much to me I can and will do this.
    I owe it to myself and to the beautiful animals of the world.
    No more excuses. Right?

Hope you are all doing well,

Default Re: Second time around...

Wassup. Welcome back.

I'm pretty sure that cheese actually has addictive qualities, so it's not just psychological, although that's part of it, too. You don't have to feel bad about finding the giving up of cheese difficult--it's notoriously the hardest part for people just starting out with veganism. You just have to stick with it until you forget all about cheese and lose the craving, and that time will almost certainly come.

Sounds like your heart's in the right place in trying again, so nothing but high-fives from me.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Thanks Matt.
    I appreciate the words!
    I was worried about my entry cause it sounds so selfish.

On day #3 and going strong!

Ain't no need to worry! We're all supportive here.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Well done Karmalife!

I have also read about cheese being addictive, but I don't think it's too hard to get off it, especially if you eat plenty of hummus

My husband is lacto veg but he eats vegan at home and often when he's out as well. Perhaps you could talk your chap into being vegan when he's with you?

Pizza is good without cheese too so you don't have to give it up.

Thanks Harpy,

I'm actually very happy that my boy has stopped eating meat (still eats seafood) ever since I showed him "Meet your Meat" back in December. He isn't willing to give up fish and shrimp but at least we don't have innocent dead chickens, cows or pigs entering our refrigerator. As for the dairy, he loves cheese and isn't sold on the whole concept behind being vegan. He respects my decision (even though he mentioned pizza again today) but I doubt he will ever cross over to the other side.

And I love vegan cheese, especially vegan gourmet's montery jack. I just have a harder time making good choices when we go out to eat.
    I'll get used to it though. I know it's just a matter of time before the cravings subside...
    Last edited by Karmalife; May 22nd, 2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Spelled Harpi wrong!

Hey karma,

My boyfriend is definitely a cheese lover. He once told me that giving would cheese would indict a level of commitment way beyond marriage

Once you get it out of your system it won't be so hard. Just think about what cheese really is and what it represents when you see it or think about it. That should help!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Thanks DiaShel,
    I appreciate the support.
    You guys are all awesome!
    I'm so glad I re-discovered this place.

Is your boyfriend a vegetarian?

^ nope, he doesn't eat much meat and eats lots of tofu so it'd be an easy transition for him yet he isn't. Not sure what's up with that. We're not super close we never talked about it. I don't want to be pushy, I think it's someone a person has to decide on their own.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh