Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cyclist Thread

Default Cyclist Thread

Interested to see who else here is into cycling, what you ride, where you ride/race etc, even post bike pics if you're particularly proud of your ride. Or anything else cycling related.

Default Re: Cyclist Thread

Yep, cycling is one of my passions.

I have two bikes currently, a slicked hardtail MTB for general utility type duties and my road bike is a Specialized Roubaix Expert. I must confess that with the weather being a bit ropey at the moment most of my 'riding' is being done on the turbo though. Looking forward to spring in a big way.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I've got a hybrid, a blue Ridgeback Meteor. It's not working at the moment as I snapped a gear cable and haven't got around to fixing it yet, it's only been like that for a year or so. I cycled to work when it was on the road and am using the bus at the moment.

Note to self: FIX BIKE!!!

Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Yes, I should go oil my chain too. I'll take a picture as well. I should also buy a road bike, but I'm lazy (and I don't want to spend money)

cam has no battery so no pic for now.

You can see how my front wheel was after my crash in April though: http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1231924026
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

I only have a raleigh fixed gear, 2008 rush hour. Its what got me into cycling, I've been thinking about getting a road, bike but coasting just feels so awkward now. I even put in some decent miles on fixed. Instead of a road bike, I'm thinking next bike is a single speed mountain or Cycle Cross, just so I can ride in the winter or off road, there's a lot of nature around here.

Quote Jiffy View Post
    Yep, cycling is one of my passions.

I have two bikes currently, a slicked hardtail MTB for general utility type duties and my road bike is a Specialized Roubaix Expert. I must confess that with the weather being a bit ropey at the moment most of my 'riding' is being done on the turbo though. Looking forward to spring in a big way.
    Is the weather in London that bad in the winter? I thought it mostly was just chilly and rainy. If it was wet I'd ride even in 40F weather, dry as long as it doesnt get sub 30 and windy. Just gotta layer.

Atleast it doesn't snow where you are. Its not the weather that bothers me, but they throw down so much salt and dirt down on the roads. Having only one bike, I don't wanna risk rusting it out. You have to be immaculate with maintence if you're gonna ride with all this crap on the roads. I'm looking forward to March-April...

Stu

I've just got a pretty cheap (£350) road bike. It's pretty fast though, and it serves me well. I cycle for about an hour and a half a day, on average. Cycling + good tunes in your ears = happy Stu.

The pound went down I think, cos I just ordered this saddle and the conversion was way less than I expected.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Ch...le/5360029530/

Its cheap and gets great reviews, can't buy it in the US but the shipping was reasonable. Had to get the cromo rails though, because its the only black one that isn't real leather. I would of gone all out on a saddle but theres other parts I'd rather drop big $$ on, I just need something that stops my ass from being sore on 15+ mile rides.

yup, i love cycling, more in the summer months though.

i have a sweet road bike; its a devinci copenhagen and its super light!

Quote Stu View Post
    I've just got a pretty cheap (£350) road bike. It's pretty fast though, and it serves me well. I cycle for about an hour and a half a day, on average. Cycling + good tunes in your ears = happy Stu.
    350£ is pretty cheap? My friend got his for 250€ and it's quite decent..
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

Stu

Well I mean it's cheap compared to what a lot of people spend.

My ride, almost $600 with tax, I've prob put about 100 dollars into in little parts, pedals toe clips, straps, 2 different handlebar set ups, Conti gatorskin etc.... I'm not even close to done yet....

Stu

Can I ask a really stoooopid (but genuine) question?

Does your bike have gears and brakes? If not, why not?
    I often see people on bikes like that, which don't appear to have any gears, and I find it confusing.

Stu

OK, I've thought about it a bit, and this is my guess, regarding brakes:
    Do you operate the brakes with the pedals? That is, keep them from moving, and you brake?

I was thinking that maybe "I'm not even close to done yet" means "I haven't bought the brakes yet"

Stu

Um, oh yeah.

But I'm still intrigued about the gears (or rather, apparent lack of).

I have brakes, I usually ride with a front one. I'll post some links for further reading/watching after I give you a brief run down.

This is a "fixed gear bike" Which means it has A gear, but instead of having a free wheel that allows you to coast, it has a fixed cog. When the pedals are moving, the bike is moving, therefore you can't coast, you're always moving. I used to not ride with a brake, however Its a bit dangerous and wears the tires. To stop you simply slow down your cadence (speed in which your pedaling) or you can unweight the seat and lock up the rear wheel into a skid to scrub off speed. You can slide out sideways too to slow down even faster. Its very easy to stop and slow down in a flat city environment but it gets a bit gnarly on hills which is way I finally put on a brake.

It may seem a bit weird if you're not familiar with this concept, but having a fixed gear is a lot of fun. Its such a cliche but it makes you feel closer to the bike "a zen like feeling" because you're able to control everything with you're extremities. Plus you're never going slow cos you're always pedaling. Plus the benefits are, low maintence cost and less things to go wrong! great for cities. Going up hills isn't bad either cos you keep a nice momenteum.

Its a great work out and it makes you a stronger rider because when you do get back on a free-wheeled bike you tend to keep pedaling all the time. Ok time for links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_gear
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_cycling
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_bicycle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryTcbisI_j8

and these guys in San Francisco who ride brakeless in traffic so you can see how its done.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTEWI...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0AFp...eature=related

and for those of you in the UK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQQ4CyzbE0

and I meant I'm still getting some new parts to make it ride nicer and look better.

Stu

Thanks for the info! Interesting. And I was right!

EYSF: That's a nice looking bike you have there!

I ride biketrials - like the motorbike equivilant but on a push bike. I have a Simtra frame from Canada that I built up myself that is really nice but it gets a beating. I'll see if I can post a pic sometime.

That reminds me, I need to get a new chain as I snapped mine yesterday!

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter
    When the pedals are moving, the bike is moving, therefore you can't coast, you're always moving. Its very easy to stop and slow down in a flat city environment
    Are you sure!!!? You're a brave man. Oh my, I just watched the clips. That looks completely terrifying!!! I don't like traffic, and have only ever cycled in a very small city that had a LOT of bike lanes/bike awareness.

Quote Stu View Post
    Thanks for the info! Interesting. And I was right!
    I was surprised by your 'oh yeah' cos I thought you were I was more laughing at myself cos I was sitting there thinking 'Hmm. Few things missing...how does that work?'. I'd never seen bikes with, urm, one gear and no brakes and hadn't even contemplated anything other than the norm til you posted.

I have no bike. I used to have a lovely blue Kona mountain bike, of which I was very proud. Alas, it got nicked when I moved into a new flat I was 'banned' from having it indoors , and so I had to put it in the residents' bike shed overnight that hadn't yet got proper locks on the door. I locked it up with two D locks and another lock, but the B******* cut through the metal bike holdy things I wasn't a happy bunny.

The videos with the brakeless cyclers... you do have to be a little bit crazy for that, don't you? It definately looks not really harmless.

I like to cycle around the countryside, so I mostly use it for small trips, but also for daily life. I just have an old and cheap mountainbike, nothing special (would love to have a racing bike).

Quote Marini View Post
    The videos with the brakeless cyclers... you do have to be a little bit crazy for that, don't you? It definately looks not really harmless.

I like to cycle around the countryside, so I mostly use it for small trips, but also for daily life. I just have an old and cheap mountainbike, nothing special (would love to have a racing bike).
    Oh yea, those guys are something else. I rode brakeless for a while and it was fine, not on roads like that, but after wearing a tire in 3 months I threw a front brake on, the insurance factor is nice. I've had some close calls but its nice knowing I can slow really quickly if that car pulls out in front of me cos they're not checking their mirrors. Or so I can come to dignified stop if the light turns red rather than skidding to a stop.

Its becoming a lifestyle thing..... Some of its simply fashion based but it is nice that a lot of people are getting excited about cycling through it. Its kind of nice to get the friends together and go for a ride.

Stu

About fixed gear bikes... Does it not get frustrating that you can't go very fast down hills, and that you can only accelerate slowly?

No, not at all, but then again it all depends on your gear ratio. Acceleration is actually the best part, a few turns of the cranks and you're already going pretty fast. I can beat cars off the line well about until they hit 30mph. Hills you are limited and it can get difficult cos you're pedaling all the time, but the fun and benefits outweighs that in my opinion.

One time for laughs on my way to class I put my gps in my back pack, and I averaged 17mph on an 8mile ride with a bag full of books . I sprinted too for kicks and hit 27mph. (well it was 40 degrees that day, you tend to keep moving)

I agree with you though its all a bit confusing and sounds like a weird and compromising idea, but you have to try it. I hated the idea at first but I borrowed a friends bike for a weekend in montreal and I fell in love with it and had to buy one of my own.

I'm an avid biker. I own a car but only use it for long distance trips. Right now I am mainly riding a 2006 Kona Jake for commuting purposes, it's a log way to anywhere I want to go. I also have a passion for converting old Peugeot road bikes into single speeds. I have a late 1960s frame that I salvaged and has been a great single speed warrior. I have a total of seven bikes. I like to mountain bike as well which is great because there are world class trails right behind my house.
    Biking just feels good. Exercise and transportation in one!
    pro-vegetable

I have recently got into road biking. Did Taupo event in New Zealand last Novmber, half relay of 80km. Next weekend I am doing Taranaki event, 150km... I won't be that quick!!

A bike with no gears would be impossible here in Wellington with so many hills, I can only just get up the hill home on my lowest gear and standing up..! Breaks again required for all the down hill you have after the up.

I've recently got myself another bike after ten years out of the saddle. I used to cycle everywhere and was very fit. I prefer trails to roads, but I'd like to get a proper road bike this year. Or maybe a better mountain bike...

This is my current bike.

I need to sort out clipless pedals pronto.

Stu

Quote aubergine View Post
    I've recently got myself another bike after ten years out of the saddle.
    Excellent! You're gonna love it.

I do admire all you people who cycle. You know what they say about cyclists...

I hate cycling, but have a good friend who works for the London Cycle Campaign.

It must be cool being so self-sufficient; I think I'll stick to my own two legs

Buddha Belly

Spent a lovely hour cleaning my baby; Ducky - an orange specialized rockhopper comp. A months worth of crap and grease all over her.
    Spend every work day on her for at least an hour.
    My road bike only comes out in the summer really. I don't take it to work when i have to go to a hostel famous for it's bike thieves.

Helen does not know it yet (she may not read this thread ) i am planning a couple of days cycle from Kings Lynn to Gt Yarmouth round the coast of Norfolk.
    I find cycling for a few hours then a quick pub stop for lunch and a pint to be the greatest way to spend a day.

I will post photos at some point of the trips we (Ducky and me) have been on at some point.

Buddha Belly

Buddha Belly

Buddha Belly

[/IMG]

Buddha Belly

finally managed to download a pic!!!!!

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    I find cycling for a few hours then a quick pub stop for lunch and a pint to be the greatest way to spend a day.
    Ah the love of Beer and bikes.... I find the two go hand and hand even though the former is deemed to not be the healthiest thing out there. When its nicer outside I like to ride to campus with a bag full of beer and go to friends parties drink and have a good time and ride home in the wee hours of the morning (sober of course). People complain about the calories in beer, but when I ride a bike I don't care cos I'm workin it off (just make sure you have plenty of water if you attempt this ). Ah People think we're mad when we open our messenger bags full of beer... I love it.

Nice thread.

I wish I had a fixed gear bike. If I had some discretionary $$$, that'd be one of the top things I'd get.

This is my bike. I use it for commuting, as well as for racing. It's got me on it. Oh, and I got it used (10yr old) on craigslist for under $500. I *love* it. It is very fast, and I like fast a lot.

At my third race, I averaged 25mph+ for a 10km course. When I commuted to work, I'd average 20mph+ for a 13 mile commute, all uphill with a backpack full of clothes, books, and work materials. (On my way to work, I'd go fast uphill, and then take the downhill back home nice and slow). I love this bike, but it wasn't made to take the abuse of daily commutes. It's a racing bike, afterall. I really want a fixed gear. I won't got as fast, but it'll last longer and be easier to fix. My bike is a bit finicky.
    context is everything

I have to be honest, I loathe fixed gears. Where I live they are a status symbol for hipster kids.
    pro-vegetable

helen105281

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Helen does not know it yet (she may not read this thread ) i am planning a couple of days cycle from Kings Lynn to Gt Yarmouth round the coast of Norfolk.
    I do now.

Two mountain bikes. Santa Cruz Chameleon hardtail and Santa Cruz Blur full suspension. Both with Rohloff 14 speed hub gears.
    I love the Rohloff hubs. They are unbelievably expensive, but for a mountain bike, they are virtually mud and stick proof making them more reliable than derailleurs.
    I run both bikes tubeless with Stan's No Flats.
    I race MTB marathons, from 50km to 12hours.
    I'm a volunteer ranger with Sustrans on part of route 45 through the Wyre Forest.
    We're trying to get these monthly vegan mountain bike meet ups to take off. I've been on every one so far and we're getting about half a dozen riders every time.
    Cannock Chase on 25th January if anyone's interested.

My sweet ride.

2007 model BMC Streetfire. I LOVE this bike. Over the past year I've been putting in lots of base hours, getting ready to try out some road racing this year. When it gets warmer out, I plan on commuting to work, but I need to get myself another bike for that. I'd actually like to get a single speed... but I'm still a bit nervous about riding a fixie.

^I wants.
    context is everything

Here's a pic of me from the weekend at Shipley Glen (sorry the pic is a bit big). I also ride a Scott Nitrous for freeride/DH and a Trek 6300 for XC and getting around on.

Another nice photo.
    I'm out on my bike today for no apparent reason other than the springlike weather and my new posh mask.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote burl View Post
    I have to be honest, I loathe fixed gears. Where I live they are a status symbol for hipster kids.
    Sadly they're the status symbol of hipsters everywhere. I hate the whole fashion aspect of it, but its a hell of a lot of fun and its what got me into biking. For 600 dollars I could either get a crap road bike or halfway decent componets on a fixed/ss. I actually ride my bike in all weather and not just talk about it. Its just a simple road bike you can beat the crap out of. Its good for training too, really helps you get your spin on. I feel as though if its becoming popular people are realizing how much fun it is.
    I plan on getting a mountain bike or another road bike if I can actually make some money this summer.

Trials looks like a lot of fun, my friend who works at a shop has one but he hardly uses it.

[removed by poster]

philthy builder

I just returned from a 40mile road ride and saw this thread.

I have 2 bikes one is an old handbuilt brian rourke steel frame that i raced on for years. the other is an aluminium frame with a dura ace groupset.

I bought the ali one 12 years ago then stopped riding and have recently started again after messing around on mtbs for a couple off years.

I still ride off road and go on the forum mtb meet ups which are good fun and its great to ride with other vegans.

Im riding this in july if any one else fancies it http://anthonymaynardsportive.readingcyclingclub.com/ its in memory of anthony maynard a vegan cyclist who was killed last year.

the food will be vegan at the event and lots of vegan cyclists from v fitness are riding.

me cycling (in a duathlon)

Stu

Photo taken moments before 999 was dialled...

Quote Johnstuff View Post

What kind of bike it that, by the way, John's Tuff?
    It looks like some kind of fixed-gear MTB to me. Or a specialist stunt bike?

It's a Simtra ST1 trials frame. All of the parts are basically standard mtb parts but made with trials in mind so the geometery is suited to trials (eg. long stem, wide bars, longish wheel base).

It's single speed gearing but still has a freehub. The front brake is an avid bb7 downhill disc brake (thought I'd try a cable disc to save cash - works very well actually), the rear brake is a standard Magura rim brake but with special pads and a ground rim to get the rear brake as sharp as possible. The cranks are middleburns with a single 16 tooth chainring and bash ring.

Last edited by Johnstuff; Feb 23rd, 2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo

Johnstuff whats your gearing? 16 and what. I'm not really sure what kind of gearing you'd want to use for trials I'm guessing pretty low.

I have 16t front and 13t rear. I think 22/18 is quite popular. So yeah it's pretty low - no good for anything other than trials.

There used to be a competition rule that you had to have 6 working gears but they've just changed it so single speeds can be used.