Thread: is this gluten intolerance?

Default is this gluten intolerance?

I find that whenever I eat wheat (or soy) or other grains that my stomach bloats out like im pregnant even if i only eat a very small amount. this morning i woke up with a flat stomach. after a breakfast of a whole wheat tortilla with a gluten containing veggie burger in it, my stomach was hard and distended by like 4-5 inches. and i feel really gassy and uncomfortable. i feel like so many things bother my stomach. should i get tested or just do an elimination diet myself? im thinking of just going raw and being done with it and i can forget about grains.

treaclemine

Default Re: is this gluten intolerance?

Sounds like you should see a good vegan-friendly doctor. From what my celiac friends have said, bloating like that could be a symptom of full-blown celiac.

Go a week without. Much easier and cheaper and less invasive (and uncomfortable) than an allergy test. I'm actually doing the same thing because I suspect reactions from soy and/or wheat gluten lately, except instead of getting bloated I has massive amounts of mucus for hours immediately after I eat.

I do really need to find a vegan friendly/natural doctor.

I think I will try an elimination diet for now. Hmm, maybe I'll go a week or so making sure to eat NO gluten and I'll compare how I feel (and probably how my stomach looks). Then, I suppose I could reintroduce a small bit and see if I get the same symptoms.

The elimination 'diet' is great. It does sound like you have some kind of intolerance. If you are gluten intolerant, you can probably still eat oats and quinoa. So you wouldn't have to give up grains completely. Good luck!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Yup, it does sound like a food intolerance/sensitivity. My belly expands if I eat gluten or soy. And corn is also a sensitivity for me, I made corn fritters the other night and the next morning I had so much mucous at the back of my throat, yuck.

Try cutting wheat/soy out one at a time and see how you feel and then notice how you feel when you eat them again. Good luck!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

i´d also recommend to leave out everything for a week or something where you think to be intolerant of. then try on one day something with wheat, doesn´t need much, only to see how ur body reacts. on another day you try something with soy. and so on and so on. it´s only important that you have only one of these things to figure it out better what is causing the problems.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Well, Ive been avoiding gluten for the past few days and, honestly, I feel a lot better. A lot less bloated and Ive started pooping more. Maybe this will help my on and off constipation? I really haven't been eating soy save for a few pieces of edamame the other night. I think Im going to stick with this for a while and see how I continue to feel.

i've actually just started to put together a few clues that are making me wonder if i have a sensitivity to wheat/gluten. i find that i get bloated and gassy after what seems to be just about anything that i eat. its so very frustrating. i also have had issues with leg swelling. this has been happening for so long and i just can not seem to figure out what is causing it.
    i dont know if that has anything to do with an allergy or sensitivity but..i also have extremely sensitive skin (get rashes from most deodorant) i have developed asthma as an adult, and i always tend to be slightly anemic. not to mention i have always had a problem with constipation.

guess maybe i should try the no gluten for a week thing myself...
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi