Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

Oh and the Royal Sovereign roast on a Sunday is AMAZING! Get the houmous pie. The rest of the meals look great too, the pizza is meant to be awesome.

Thanks for this useful information Troutina, must try the Royal Sovereign out soon.

Another place that maybe of interest is the West Hill Pub. We have booked a vegan nut roast for next Sunday 17th at 2pm, so will feedback in due course.

http://www.thewesthill.co.uk/

PS. Went on a recent trip to Edinburgh and it was fabulous and I can highly recommend an array of vegan eateries/restaurants....see thread.

Ooh The West Hill sounds good! Especially as I live nearby. I think we might be trying The Brunswick next time, their vegan food is supposed to be pretty good.
    Has anyone been for a roast at the Earth and Stars lately? I'm curious to see what it's like.

I'm pretty much roast obsessed at the moment, on the search for the perfect Sunday afternoon! At the moment the Royal Sovereign is winning on all counts (lovely pub, open fire, great atmosphere, friendly staff and deliciouuuus roast!)

I looked at The Brunswick Pub and wondered if they catered to our needs? Looks potentially promising but no mention of vegan food......

http://www.brunswickpub.co.uk/food.htm

The Earth and Stars were doing a vegan roast back in May on a Sunday to encouraging reviews, but have not been in there lately, so must check it out.

Pencilled in the Royal Sovereign for a Sunday in November as our 'Vegan Roadshow' continues: - West Hill Pub - 17th Oct, Wolverhampton Vegan Festival on 30th Oct followed by visits to Oxford and Edinburgh (again) in December!

Quote Troutina View Post
    Hi Yo Yo! There's no website/ online menu so here's a vague list of what I ate! I had potatas bravas (ask for no mayo!), the little green peppers which are cooked in oil and plenty of salt (my fav!), chickpeas in tomato sauce, mushrooms, bread and olives. Was superb!
    hi troutina-
    the tapas sounds great, I haven't been to a Spanish place to eat since before I went vegan, it's great to know there are some vegan things on offer. I'll have to try it out some time. thanks for the info

xx

Quote mutuality View Post
    I looked at The Brunswick Pub and wondered if they catered to our needs? Looks potentially promising but no mention of vegan food......

http://www.brunswickpub.co.uk/food.htm
    You're right, I think that I have heard from friends that it is vegan, but I would check before eating there. If the rest are anything like the Royal Sov, you have to either get there as soon as they start serving food, or head down mid- afternoon and risk them running out!

Or alternatively, e-mail them and book a reservation like what I have done for Sunday with The West Hill Pub!

Yesterday I had lunch at Rock Ola, on Tidy Street:

http://www.rockolacoffeebar.com/

Website doesn't have much info on, but they have a seperate vegan menu which includes full english breakfast, burger, hotdog, sandwiches, salads and milkshakes.
    I had the burger with extra houmous inside, it came with chips and salsa and I ordered a vegan garlic mayo. It came to around £5 I think, plus £1.10 for an orange juice.
    The burger was really nice, spicy lentil burger and salad. But it wasn't until after I had ordered that I read the main menu and realised I could have added jalapenos and gherkins! So no gherkins in my burger

The place is super cute with booths and a free jukebox!

We tried your recommendation and were impressed by the separate vegan menu. However, although the food was delicious (lentil burger and chips), this cafe has the feel of a 'greasy spoon' establishment. If, as a vegan, the smell of cooked bacon and sausages is likely to offend, you might not wish to visit. There are a limited number of tables, and we found ourselves perched on the end of a table with carnivores.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Ooh The West Hill sounds good! Especially as I live nearby. I think we might be trying The Brunswick next time, their vegan food is supposed to be pretty good.
    Has anyone been for a roast at the Earth and Stars lately? I'm curious to see what it's like.

I'm pretty much roast obsessed at the moment, on the search for the perfect Sunday afternoon! At the moment the Royal Sovereign is winning on all counts (lovely pub, open fire, great atmosphere, friendly staff and deliciouuuus roast!)
    Well if you are after the perfect Sunday afternoon...then look no further than the West Hill Pub! The food was superb, tasty and delicious consisting of nut roast, roast potatoes, butternut squash, broccoli, peas, leeks, fennel, red cabbage, vegan gravy sprinkled with rosemary (£7.95). We were then surprisingly offered freshly made vegan chocolate cake with amaretto cream (recommended by the staff). The ambience was relaxed and friendly and the staff were very welcoming. Definitely recommend a visit!

Well if you are after the perfect Sunday afternoon...then look no further than the West Hill Pub! The food was superb, tasty and delicious consisting of nut roast, roast potatoes, butternut squash, broccoli, peas, leeks, fennel, red cabbage, vegan gravy sprinkled with rosemary (£7.95). We were then surprisingly offered freshly made vegan chocolate cake with amaretto cream (recommended by the staff). The ambience was relaxed and friendly and the staff were very welcoming. Definitely recommend a visit!
    That sounds amazing!! We were going to go yesterday but couldn't make it- definitely on the agenda for next Sunday!!!

Quote Marrers View Post
    I'm hearing very good things about the Preston Park Tavern. It's not central but they bend over backwards to veganise the dishes on their menu. With notice they'll also do you a vegan dessert and a Sunday lunch.
    Good to hear about other Sunday Lunch options. Don't forget the Preston Park Tavern which I mentioned a while back. They mark which wines are vegan and have previously been very accommodating in veganising dishes at short notice but they say if you want a vegan dessert or sunday roast option you should let them know in advance.
    My friends went for a birthday meal recently and had let them know they were vegans when booking the table. Even though there were just 4 of them booked in there was a specially printed out vegan menu with two options for starter main and dessert. I think that's great for a normal omni pub!

Infinity (cafe and health food shop) are doing nice bakewell tarts / slices. The cafe has a chocolate raspberry cake, made in-house rather than by the usual bakers that many other places also use. They also sometimes have chocolate chilli brownies and chocolate cheesecake (often available pre-packed in the health food shop) as well as a sticky toffee pudding which they serve heated with cream.

I've visited Loving Hut at last. I had Summer Rolls, Smiling Dumplings and Satay Skewers. It was very enjoyable but having heard a lot of people raving about it on here and elsewhere I wondered what the best dishes are supposed to be - anyone here have an opinion? Is it all about the burger for you or are you particularly liking any of the other dishes? (I'm not really a burger fan.)

Iydea had a very nice vegan lasagne recently. However be cautious with the reduced takeaway containers of food they sell off around 5pm as I bought what was meant to be a sweet potato roti the other day and it turned out to be beans and cheese when I got around to eating it later. They also sometimes put non vegan salads with vegan mains in those boxes.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Good to hear about other Sunday Lunch options. Don't forget the Preston Park Tavern which I mentioned a while back. They mark which wines are vegan and have previously been very accommodating in veganising dishes at short notice but they say if you want a vegan dessert or sunday roast option you should let them know in advance.
    My friends went for a birthday meal recently and had let them know they were vegans when booking the table. Even though there were just 4 of them booked in there was a specially printed out vegan menu with two options for starter main and dessert. I think that's great for a normal omni pub!
    Sounds brilliant! I'll add it to the list of places yet to try; we're working our way round with a roast every 3 weeks or so. Sounds like Preston Park Tavern will be next!

Hi Marrers
    I didn't like the summer rolls at Loving Hut, thought they were weird. Loved the spring rolls though.
    I would recommend the Satay or Kung Pao with either rice or noodles. The Vermicelli with bean curd is
    nice if you don't like chinese flavours, as it tastes a bit like curry super noodles, they also have samosas which go well with it.
    The burger is good, especially with chips and followed by some home made cheesecake!
    I go to the loving hut every weekend as it is (as far as I know) the only vegan place to eat in Brighton (correct me if I'm wrong please,
    as I'd love to try somewhere else) I do like Aloka as it is 90% vegan and I have tried Terre a Terre and Food for Friends but am always
    disappointed by their lack of vegan dishes.
    Food for Friends always used to have a vegan choice on the special and main menu, but now it just seems to be vegan options, i.e.
    goats cheese salad without the goats cheese, the waitress actually recommended this to me! (I had soup and chips in the end) I dont
    eat in omni restaurants so I do feel my choices are limited, but this is Brighton, I must be missing something? Is Loving Hut the only vegan place in town??

That's annoying about Food for Friends, they used to be quite good for vegans but I just looked on their website and as you say it seems to be just "VO" now as far as the mains go, with a few vegan starters.

IIRC they sometimes substitute tofu for cheese in things like the goat's cheese salad so it's more substantial than it sounds, but it's still rather offputting. I feel an e-mail coming on!

I would be interested to know if there is anywhere else that's vegan there. Of course V-Bites was, but it's closed for the winter I gather.

Unhappy Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

Quote harpy View Post
    That's annoying about Food for Friends, they used to be quite good for vegans but I just looked on their website and as you say it seems to be just "VO" now as far as the mains go, with a few vegan starters.

IIRC they sometimes substitute tofu for cheese in things like the goat's cheese salad so it's more substantial than it sounds, but it's still rather offputting. I feel an e-mail coming on!
    They asked me to fill in a comment card as usual, but it doesn't seem to have effect.

Just got back from a roast at The West Hill Pub- I'm a little disappointed! The nut roast was pretty decent; it was red pepper and cashew nut, with great flavour, really moist. But the veggies and gravy weren't really anything special (ONE piece of broccili!?). The vegan chocolate cake was pretty awful. Would have been nicer if it was warm I think, but there was no delicious chocolate flavours, no hint of cinnamon, just an OK quality of cake. The pub is quite nice, with a good range of drinks and friendly staff. The roast came very quickly aswell, and for veggies the sticky toffee pudding is meant to be amazing. But The Royal Sovereign is still winner for me.

I suppose it may depend upon preferences, taste, standards and expectations. I think they give an emphasis on variety of vegetables, even though the quantity per vegetable is quite meagre. There is only so much you can get onto a plate without it piling up into multiple tiers and looking unappetising.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, maybe you could let them know how you felt and they could go about making improvements. After all, if pubs like this want to attract vegan customers like us then they must do better to accommodate our needs.

I acknowledge the cake was a little dry, but apparently it was her first vegan cake that she had made. So one to reflect on. The Royal Sovereign is the 'next port of call' on Sunday 13th November.

I walked past the George Pub today and noticed that there appears to be a revamped menu on display with plenty of V - Vegan and VO - options available...anyone popped in and care to feedback please?

I suppose it may depend upon preferences, taste, standards and expectations. I think they give an emphasis on variety of vegetables, even though the quantity per vegetable is quite meagre. There is only so much you can get onto a plate without it piling up into multiple tiers and looking unappetising.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, maybe you could let them know how you felt and they could go about making improvements. After all, if pubs like this want to attract vegan customers like us then they must do better to accommodate our needs.

I acknowledge the cake was a little dry, but apparently it was her first vegan cake that she had made. So one to reflect on. The Royal Sovereign is the 'next port of call' on Sunday 13th November.

I walked past the George Pub today and noticed that there appears to be a revamped menu on display with plenty of V - Vegan and VO - options available...anyone popped in and care to feedback please?
    Yeah if I do pop in again I'll give them some feedback, but once you've been to Royal Sov you'll see why my expectations are so high! I'm looking for TOP quality roasts, not just vegan roasts.

I'm still put off from The George, not in any hurry to try it again :/

cxmnz

I've just moved from Nottingham to Hove, and was certainly spoiled up there by living next to a vegan bakery! Also having to learn how to cook on an electric hob after being so used to gas is something of a challenge at the moment.

Does anyone know of any places in Hove that do vegan food? Either cafes and the like or stores (other than Holland & Barrett) for buying vegan and organic food? Happy Cow seemed pretty empty when I looked. Obviously Infinity is good (though expensive), but it's quite a walk into town just to get a few items if I'm not going that way.

Vegan festival returns to Brighton.

Please go to:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...arch-19th-2011
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Hi cxmnz (aka Chris),

Down to Earth (store) - 128 Portland Road, Hove

The Sanctuary Cafe - 51 Brunswick St E, Hove (Buses: 1, 2, 5, 6, 25, 49, 81, along Western Rd. Stop off at Norfolk square. Trains: Brighton Station: walk down Queens Rd and turn right along Western Rd. Walking: From Western Rd: Turn left along Western Rd from Churchill Square. On the corner of Brunswick St East is The Juggler pub and the Post Office. From The Seafront: Just past The West Pier turn right up Waterloo St then 1st right up Brunswick St East. If you are driving there are parking meters on adjoining roads, or most spaces are free after 8pm.01273 770002

VBites - Hove Lagoon (closed - reopens Spring 2011).

Hope this helps.

OK....booked 2 vegan nut roasts for The Royal Sovereign at 1pm - Sunday 14th November....looking forward to the recommendation!

cxmnz

Hi Mutuality,

That's great, just what I was looking for, thanks!

OK....booked 2 vegan nut roasts for The Royal Sovereign at 1pm - Sunday 14th November....looking forward to the recommendation!
    Oh I'm jealous you're having amazing roast! I want amazing roast. Get the houmous pie!

Just uploaded a blog about Pizzaface (including photographs) for those who haven't tried it yet: here.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Oh I'm jealous you're having amazing roast! I want amazing roast. Get the houmous pie!
    Well after sampling the houmous pie, the verdict is still in favour of The West Hill Pub. The hospitality provided by Nik at The Royal Sovereign was marvelous and he gave a very personalised service. The quantity was on par with The West Hill (except there was more choice at the later if smaller portions) and the quality was good but some of the vegetables were undercooked and crunchy. The cost is £9.50 compared with £7.50 respectively and the noise levels were higher as it was busy and there were a steady stream of customers popping in for a roast lunch. The clientele tended to be predominantly younger and 'studentified'. I suppose it is personal preference, where we like to be able to have a conversation and not be drowned out with music, formula 1 and loud voices. We have put the The Royal Sovereign down as a favourite and would return but perhaps when it is a bit quieter. I would recommend this pub for people to make their own choices and informed decisions and overall an enjoyable (if noisy) experience.

I am going to Brighton tomorrow to visit the vegetarian shoes shop. Are there any places not far from the shop I should have a look at?

Quote kanopa View Post
    I am going to Brighton tomorrow to visit the vegetarian shoes shop. Are there any places not far from the shop I should have a look at?
    Hi Kanopa,

Well it depends on what you are looking for in terms of clothing or vegan eateries?

I would suggest 'Greenwich Village' for clothing e.g. Hemp, organic materials in Bond St (same side of the road, heading towards North St).

For vegan food, you might like to try 'Our Cornish Pasty' shop at 24 Gardner St. They do vegan sausage rolls and at least 2/3 vegan options in pasties. Recently, they had apple and cinnamon.

Alternatively, Red Veg in the same street at number 21. http://www.redveg.com/

Infinity Foods cafe is opposite Vegetarian Shoes. In Kensington Gardens, there is Wai Kiki Moo and Iydea as favoured destinations too. You are spoilt for choice as a vegan in Brighton.

I am looking for everything, I thought you might have a vegan museum there in Brighton :> Mmm, I would love to try the vegan pasties I guess. Can red veg make onion rings vegan? I've never had onion rings O_o

You shouldn't have gone without onion rings! I think most supermarket ones are vegan, both breaded and battered. Pretty certain Redveg onion rings are vegan. I'm surprised that they still don't mark their menu as to what can be vegan, I think maybe we've annoyed them by turning up in huge groups unannounced :P

I've visited Red Veg and Cornish Pasties. I loved the pasty although it was sooo big and I didn't like the fact that they make meat ones too, contamination might be possible But we have to be happy that they make vegan ones..
    I liked the red veg, it's a really nice cafe, but fast food is fast food, so I haven't finished my burger, it was too big. And I've really enjoyed the onion rings and the sauce that came with them. When I asked if they have vegan rings, they said that it's the only
    Then I wanted to have something at Wai Kiki Moo, but the kitchen was closed so I just had some take away soup for one pound.
    I'm jealous of you Brightoners, you have so many cafes and even a shoe shop. I guess I'll have to apply to Brighton uni next year

Went to the Prince George-(formally The George) yesterday, and had a nice Sunday lunch. They've changed the menu and all vegan food is labelled or marked VO. I think all the mains were vegan, I had mushroom and ale pie, which was good. The kids had vegan pancakes with vegan ice-cream which they enjoyed. I'm glad they've changed the menu and they're doing vegan ice-cream!

Quote cxmnz View Post
    Hi Mutuality,

That's great, just what I was looking for, thanks!

Upon investigation, I'm sorry to say that The Sanctuary Cafe in Brunswick Street East, Hove is now no longer and closed down a few months ago.

Is the West Hill still doing amazing roasts mutuality? It's like, essentially right at the end of my road so I'll be more than a little bit giddy if it is!

Quote Melanie View Post
    Is the West Hill still doing amazing roasts mutuality? It's like, essentially right at the end of my road so I'll be more than a little bit giddy if it is!
    Hi Melanie,

To my knowledge, they are still providing vegan nut roasts but have not been there since the end of October. Perhaps you could let us know of the outcome.....

I shall do! Ta!

~xx

md tea in Kemptown does a delicious home made vegan chocolate and banana cake and good coffee too (soya milk available).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

This is a long shot but worth a go - all you lovely Brightonians. I've got two tickets for the circus of horrors if any of you are interested for Wed 19th at the theatre royal.
    Mods, please feel free to delete this if its not allowed - just thought I'd ask on this thread as people are in the area

Ta!
    Mel

Can anyone please tell me if there is anywhere veggie in Brighton other than Terre a Terre that takes bookings for Sunday lunch? We tend to have lunch there with a couple of octogenarians who aren't really up for standing in a queue. Going to Terre a Terre is no hardship of course (except for the wallet!). ETA from looking back up through the thread the West Hill Pub looks a possibility, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Quote harpy View Post
    Can anyone please tell me if there is anywhere veggie in Brighton other than Terre a Terre that takes bookings for Sunday lunch? We tend to have lunch there with a couple of octogenarians who aren't really up for standing in a queue. Going to Terre a Terre is no hardship of course (except for the wallet!). ETA from looking back up through the thread the West Hill Pub looks a possibility, but any other suggestions would be welcome.
    Hi Harpy,

You could try Infinity Foods Cafe (Gardner Street) for lunch. They provide a fresh, tasty and imaginative menu with very friendly staff. Otherwise, The Royal Sovereign Pub (Preston Street) do great homous pie. The West Hill Pub is convenient if you are travelling by train as it is 5 mins walk from the station. Incidentally, we are going there next Sunday (27th) for a vegan nut roast - so you never know if you do decide to go we might bump into you (4pm)

Thank you mutuality - do both those pubs take table bookings then? I would certainly like to try them anyway but the trouble is as I say we can't really ask these two ancient Britons to stand in a queue (which also unfortunately seems to rule out Idyea, Loving Hut and Food for Friends on Sunday lunchtimes).

I like the Infinity Foods caff but hadn't realised it took reservations, and you sometimes have to queue in there don't you, though for food rather than tables perhaps.

Quote harpy View Post
    Thank you mutuality - do both those pubs take table bookings then? I would certainly like to try them anyway but the trouble is as I say we can't really ask these two ancient Britons to stand in a queue (which also unfortunately seems to rule out Idyea, Loving Hut and Food for Friends on Sunday lunchtimes).

I like the Infinity Foods caff but hadn't realised it took reservations, and you sometimes have to queue in there don't you, though for food rather than tables perhaps.

Your welcome Harpy. Both pubs do take bookings. I did mine by email and they responded within 24/48 hours. Both links for the pubs are on this thread I believe. No queues at these venues but it depends on your mode of transport as The Royal Sovereign is that little further off Western Road and down Preston Street on your left hand side. Whereas, The West Hill pub is a short walk up the road from the station.

To my knowledge, the Infinity Foods Cafe is a first come, first served basis with no reservations, though there is no harm in enquiring. I would of thought that Food for Friends will take bookings as they are open all day through the evening.

Good luck - let us know the outcome please.......

harpy is right, Food For Friends don't take bookings for lunch on Saturdays or Sundays but apparently they have had a refurb recently and although I haven't seen it yet the website suggests they may now have an area where you can have pre-drink so I'm guessing that will stop the bottleneck at the door for people waiting for their tables. Might be worth ringing to enquire (they may suggest the best time to arrive to get a table or might even make an exception for you about the booking too, you never know).

It looks like they may have reverted to having a better balance of vegan options too after a spell of having very few - 5 out of 8 mains are vegan or vegan option.

Fabulous Restaurant Makeover!
    07/02/2011
    We are thrilled to have now re-opened following our extensive refurbishment.
    The restaurant has an oppulent yet welcoming theme, stunning lighting, soft furnishings and a funky new cosy corner for group bookings or to enjoy pre-dinner drinks.
    Our bar has been updated and, as requested by our customers, our bathrooms have been improved beyond recognition!
    We have, of course, introduced some exciting new dishes to our menus to celebrate our opening.
    Come and see us soon!
    http://www.foodforfriends.com/

Thanks Marrers and mutuality - I did phone FfF yesterday but they seemed to think that when we need to go, 2pm today, they would be busy so we threw in our lot with T-a-T yet again. I'm definitely going to check out those pubs next time -

Harpy in Brighton on technical support mission :-/

Well, we decided to drop by Infinity Cafe mid afternoon and timings wise, we were fortunate enough to be given a free bowl of Sweet Potato, Carrot and Orange soup with wholemeal roll and soya spread (last one) and for mains, chose a Mezze which was large enough to share plus 2 fruit drinks and a 10% discount using my Viva card membership all came to £10!

It was delicious, tasty, wholesome and colourful and came with a friendly smile. I love Infinity and to top it off, we popped into Iydea and grabbed the last Vegan Chocolate cake for £2.95 to share......how's about that then lol

A lot cheaper than T a T, though that was also vg and smily. We'd do the same as you if it was just us and no old bats.

Quote harpy View Post
    A lot cheaper than T a T, though that was also vg and smily. We'd do the same as you if it was just us and no old bats.

Lol, Harpy....we all get older eventually but with our healthy vegan diets, it takes a lot longer than carnivores!

On the subject of Terre Terre, we have booked a table for my birthday on 1st March using the Dine for Two form (£10 from the local newspaper). Before that, we are going to pop back to The Loving Hut Cafe (Saturday) and West Hill Pub (Sunday)....so will report back! Watch this space......

My mother is more or less vegetarian and not doing too badly for 86 but she does object to standing around these days. (Finds it easier to roost upside down - she likes bats so I am allowed to say these things.)

Yes please do report back on those outings, and happy birthday when it comes. Thanks for all the tips.

Well, we decided to drop by Infinity Cafe mid afternoon and timings wise, we were fortunate enough to be given a free bowl of Sweet Potato, Carrot and Orange soup with wholemeal roll and soya spread (last one) and for mains, chose a Mezze which was large enough to share plus 2 fruit drinks and a 10% discount using my Viva card membership all came to £10!

It was delicious, tasty, wholesome and colourful and came with a friendly smile. I love Infinity and to top it off, we popped into Iydea and grabbed the last Vegan Chocolate cake for £2.95 to share......how's about that then lol
    am i missing something? how come you got the soup for free?! I'm such a scavenger, I can't bear not to know!! xx