Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

Quote yo-yo View Post
    mmmm yorkshire puddings.....yum.... it's so hard to get them right though, let us know if they manage it

- - - Updated - - -

mmmm yorkshire puddings.....yum.... it's so hard to get them right though, let us know if they manage it
    I'm more worried that it's a case of - "Yes, they are vegan! (but I'm not really sure what vegan means, is it the same as vegetarian?)"
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

Quote Troutina View Post
    I'm more worried that it's a case of - "Yes, they are vegan! (but I'm not really sure what vegan means, is it the same as vegetarian?)"
    hmm, yes I see... Hopefully they are vegan ones then!

So even though I couldn't really afford it, I went to NYCC (by the clocktower, Peter Andre's second cafe) to try their vegan cupcakes yesterday, can confirm that they are really good, I had a peanut butter one, in fact I replied to a post that Heavenly Vegan Cupcakes (who make them) put on facebook on Friday and suggested they make pb ones, and voila there they were!! I am not a massive fan of cakes in general, but these are really nice and go very well with a cup of tea which is what I had. Would like to try the other flavour, I think it was double chocolate. The cafe itself is really nice, sometimes I get a bit anxious in places I don't know that well, but I felt very relaxed in there by myself. Could have sat there for a lot longer had I had more cake and tea!!

http://[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.c....jpg[/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

I had a delicious chocolate doughnut cupcake from NYCC on Friday but I'm having trouble posting the photo!

- - - Updated - - -

In fact I'm having trouble making any edits to my post.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't edit and new posts are coming up as 'updated' in the original message box. Maybe I'll try again later.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Ooh I really want to try this cafe now!

The roast at The Eddy was ok - a fairly basic roast with a vegetable pie (which included aubergine, courgette and pepper... quite odd for a wintry pie), carrots, peas, cabbage, roast potatoes and vegan yorkshire puddings - which were pretty good! Not sure I would return as nothing had a huge amount of flavour, and the bar staff were quite rude. But still - a great pub, not over-crowded and served delicious mulled cider!

Quote Marrers View Post
    I had a delicious chocolate doughnut cupcake from NYCC on Friday but I'm having trouble posting the photo!

More cakes from NYCC.

Sunday lunch from Food For Friends a few weeks ago.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

The cupcakes look awesome!!

How was your lunch at Food for Friends? Was this before/after the new head chef, do you know?

Lunch was quite nice but it took over half an hour to come. I just checked the date on the photo and it was 16/9 so well before the new head chef.

We ate an evening meal there on Saturday which was meant to be when the Xmas menu began and part of the reason we went (as it includes an extra vegan starter and main option) but they had not started it. We had to wait over half an hour for our 9.30pm table which wasn't great but it seemed the whole place was running behind as there were lots of people coming in for tables which weren't ready. Luckily we'd managed to get a seat in the waiting area and were able to order a drink. I was yet again irritated not to be able to have a glass of wine with my meal without buying a whole bottle as I like red and my o/h likes white so I had beer instead (there is just one vegan red and one vegan white only on the wine list). We usually clear our plates especially when eating out but I left half my starter (I found the whole dish tasteless and not as I'd expected from the description) and my o/h left half of his main (his non-vegan pie was overcooked and dried out) but when we mentioned it when they asked how the course was they without any debate took both items off the bill. Hopefully things will improve once the new chef settles in. I'm going to email about the lack of vegan wine by the glass - that and the lack of vegan options most of the time (sick of curry being the only consistent vegan option in so many veggie places, so boring and unimaginative in this day and age) makes me feel like they don't really want to bother vegan customers.

The pasty shop near Infinity health food shop have lovely individual vegan mince pies at the moment, they are high (the dimensions of a pork pie) and have lots of filling.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Lunch was quite nice but it took over half an hour to come. I just checked the date on the photo and it was 16/9 so well before the new head chef.

We ate an evening meal there on Saturday which was meant to be when the Xmas menu began and part of the reason we went (as it includes an extra vegan starter and main option) but they had not started it. We had to wait over half an hour for our 9.30pm table which wasn't great but it seemed the whole place was running behind as there were lots of people coming in for tables which weren't ready. Luckily we'd managed to get a seat in the waiting area and were able to order a drink. I was yet again irritated not to be able to have a glass of wine with my meal without buying a whole bottle as I like red and my o/h likes white so I had beer instead (there is just one vegan red and one vegan white only on the wine list). We usually clear our plates especially when eating out but I left half my starter (I found the whole dish tasteless and not as I'd expected from the description) and my o/h left half of his main (his non-vegan pie was overcooked and dried out) but when we mentioned it when they asked how the course was they without any debate took both items off the bill. Hopefully things will improve once the new chef settles in. I'm going to email about the lack of vegan wine by the glass - that and the lack of vegan options most of the time (sick of curry being the only consistent vegan option in so many veggie places, so boring and unimaginative in this day and age) makes me feel like they don't really want to bother vegan customers.

The pasty shop near Infinity health food shop have lovely individual vegan mince pies at the moment, they are high (the dimensions of a pork pie) and have lots of filling.
    I'm going to FFF in a week or so for a Christmas dinner party - we chose there only because Terre a Terre is unfortunately still out of action. I was impressed that there were more vegan options than previous years (although the dessert options are nowhere near as good as last year - I had a Christmas Pudding Parfait last year which was incredible!!) - I can't believe that re: vegan wine options. To be honest I'd never noticed as both me and my (vegan) other half only drink red wine (and definitely only by the bottle!!) but there should be more choice - especially if they want to appeal to vegans and vegans. Why not just have an entirely vegan wine list, huh!

I LOVE that pasty shop - they are really vegan friendly, a real gem in Brighton. Def. need to get myself a mince pie!!

I had Sunday lunch in FfF a few weeks ago and I thought it was OK - we weren't in a hurry and didn't have any booze so some of the problems Marrers mentions didn't really arise for us. The wine thing in particular does sound very off-pissing , perhaps we should all email about that.

I think there was a reasonable choice of vegan food that time, perhaps some of the specials were vegan, she says vaguely?

I had a mince pie from the Pasty shop opposite Infinity Foods shop at the weekend - it's the best mince pie I've ever eaten!! So much flavour, and packed full of lots of different dried fruit and nuts. Yum!

Hi Brighton folk. I went to the Prince George for food last night and had an ok meal, nothing special, I don't really have very high expectations of that place when it comes to food, I wrote about it in my blog if you want to see pics too- http://veganchefsteph.blogspot.co.uk/ Has anyone else been to the George for food lately?

I went to the George too, last night for my birthday, and really enjoyed the grub. The group, 4 meat eaters, 1 veggie and myself (vegan) all rated it quite highly: decent portions, good flavours. It's hearty, rustic stuff, and the Jenga chips were lovely dipped in hummus with toasted seeds. I had a vegan cooked breakfast at Wai Kika Moo Kau this morning, Kensington Gardens - waikikamookau.co.uk - and it was okay. Portions not massive, but just about right, but sausages seemed a bit overdone and dry (the trouble with Linda M ones if you don't keep an eye on them) and a bit of friend bread would have been nice (though not for my insides). Overall nice place though and you can't argue with £6.95 including a coffee.

As a side note (this isn't very subtle!) I've just launched a vegan website with blog and whatnot and am always on the look-out for local vegans for coffee and natter (I don't know a single fellow vegan), so feel free to get in touch. www.anothervegan.co.uk

I had a burger at The George a couple of weeks ago - it was really good! As Jase1976 said, the portions are great. The chef brought out our food but wasn't much help - I went with a friend who ordered the vegetarian burger and the chef shrugged his shoulders and walked off, after putting our plates down, when I asked which was the vegan burger. Not super helpful as we had to figure our between ourselves which was which! The food came quickly, tasted great and there's a nice atmosphere in the pub, but not one of the first places I would choose for a pub lunch. We originally tried to eat at the Earth & Stars but unfortunately their kitchen closes at 3pm during the week!

Quote Jase1976 View Post
    I went to the George too, last night for my birthday, and really enjoyed the grub. The group, 4 meat eaters, 1 veggie and myself (vegan) all rated it quite highly: decent portions, good flavours. It's hearty, rustic stuff, and the Jenga chips were lovely dipped in hummus with toasted seeds. I had a vegan cooked breakfast at Wai Kika Moo Kau this morning, Kensington Gardens - waikikamookau.co.uk - and it was okay. Portions not massive, but just about right, but sausages seemed a bit overdone and dry (the trouble with Linda M ones if you don't keep an eye on them) and a bit of friend bread would have been nice (though not for my insides). Overall nice place though and you can't argue with £6.95 including a coffee.

As a side note (this isn't very subtle!) I've just launched a vegan website with blog and whatnot and am always on the look-out for local vegans for coffee and natter (I don't know a single fellow vegan), so feel free to get in touch. www.anothervegan.co.uk
    Glad that you enjoyed the George, did the jenga chips come with something? The chips they served us were pretty standard. I went to Wai Kika Moo Kau with a friend a couple of weeks ago, hadn't been there in years since the last few times were so disappointing, she had the breakfast too and said it was nice, it looked quite good. I didn't have any food as I wasn't hungry whilst in there, just a couple of cups of tea and a milkshake (which was ok, but I've had better elsewhere). Have checked out your website and blog and am following you now, great work!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Troutina View Post
    I had a burger at The George a couple of weeks ago - it was really good! As Jase1976 said, the portions are great. The chef brought out our food but wasn't much help - I went with a friend who ordered the vegetarian burger and the chef shrugged his shoulders and walked off, after putting our plates down, when I asked which was the vegan burger. Not super helpful as we had to figure our between ourselves which was which! The food came quickly, tasted great and there's a nice atmosphere in the pub, but not one of the first places I would choose for a pub lunch. We originally tried to eat at the Earth & Stars but unfortunately their kitchen closes at 3pm during the week!
    I think if I end up eating at the George again it'll have to be the burger as the time before last that I went we had burgers and they were pretty good. Doesn't surprise me that the service you got was a bit crap though... I remember a couple of years ago when they were running a burger competition, where you could submit your ideas for the perfect burger, around that time there were so many interesting burgers you could get!
    I've only eaten in Earth and Stars a couple of times, but I remember it being really good. Think we had pizza and sushi.
    http://veganchefsteph.blogspot.co.uk/ http://yo-yo-itfinallyhappened.blogspot.co.uk/
    vegan love to all! *^-^*

Quote yo-yo View Post
    I've only eaten in Earth and Stars a couple of times, but I remember it being really good. Think we had pizza and sushi.
    I've only been for a Sunday Roast before (which was fantastic!!) but would love to try their mid-week menu. I did go in with the intention of eating a few weeks ago, but their kitchen closes at 3pm which is a shame! We arrived at 3.05pm!

Quote Troutina View Post
    I've only been for a Sunday Roast before (which was fantastic!!) but would love to try their mid-week menu. I did go in with the intention of eating a few weeks ago, but their kitchen closes at 3pm which is a shame! We arrived at 3.05pm!
    that's a bit annoying
    http://veganchefsteph.blogspot.co.uk/ http://yo-yo-itfinallyhappened.blogspot.co.uk/
    vegan love to all! *^-^*

Quote yo-yo View Post
    Have checked out your website and blog and am following you now, great work!
    Thank you I really like your blogs too, but can't follow because I don't use Blogger, but consider yourself bookmarked!

Quote Jase1976 View Post
    Thank you I really like your blogs too, but can't follow because I don't use Blogger, but consider yourself bookmarked!
    awesome
    vegan love to all! *^-^*

I see Terre-a-Terre is reopening shortly - on the 4th I think it said?

Mousee!!

yea

Mousee!!

Heather mills to open vegan cafe in the old Aloka premises.

I really don't see how VBites fit in with the quality of food that there is to offer on East Street. Unless they have a major re-vamp of their menu. And quality of customer service. And actually cook any food.

Mousee!!

Too right. LOL

Just to let people know I recently had a top notch eating experiance at The Cuthbert up where I live freshfield road . Nothing on the menu is vegan I inquired and they made me an outstanding meal. They said that of I would like give them a ring and they would sort something out again
    Last edited by seamus; Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling

I had a similar experience to Seamus with Yeoman last year (Guildford Road, opposite the station). We had a departmental lunch there and when we booked the chef was very helpful and offered me two vegan options, none of which were on the usual menu. I had a lovely stir-fry at the Camelford Arms (gay pub, Camelford St), when I asked at the bar about animal-free options. Again, it wasn't on the menu, but the chef popped over and was very happy to whip something up. I try to remember to write a thankyou letter the day after something like this happens - can't hurt and might encourage more of this sort of helpful attitude.

Mousee!!

terry terry prices gone up

Quote Troutina View Post
    I really don't see how VBites fit in with the quality of food that there is to offer on East Street. Unless they have a major re-vamp of their menu. And quality of customer service. And actually cook any food.
    haha so true bout the cooking of food!!
    vegan love to all! *^-^*

:-o Thanks for the tip-off, Seamus. Will apply for bank loan before forthcoming visit then!

Mousee!!

Too true. Little bit too pricey now I fear

Mind you it was never exactly a bargain basement was it? More of a special place for birthdays etc.

Mousee!!

Yea, agreed. Not a daily event or anything

Hope they haven't priced themselves out of the market though.

Mousee!!

Yeah that would be a shame. kitchen is fancy wancy now

Hi all, I'm running the Brighton Half Marathon tomorrow and would love to check out one of Brighton's Vegan restaurants!I don't know Brighton very well though, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Something that will be open tomorrow (Sunday) and not too fancy, a nice vegan burger and chips would be ideal! And if it's not too far from the finish line, even better!Thanks

After a half marathon (nice!), why not try the Loving Hut on the corner of The Level opposite Phoenix Gallery by St Peter's church. My favourite place.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Can't believe that Vegfest hasn't been mentioned yet? Considering that it is taking place in only a couple of weeks time!

If travelling down from London (or anywhere), there are meet-ups taking place on both the Saturday and Sunday.

Join us, we're cool - otherwise hope to see you there.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I stopped at the Prince George yesterday afternoon for a swift beer before catching the train back up to London. After checking today on Barnivore I find that the beer I had isn't vegan. I'm not the type to throw my toys out of the cot; and if my crappy phone could get a signal whilst there, I probably would've checked before buying. This leaves me to question though, why they advertise themselves as an all vegetarian pub when they've got fishy beer?

Quote teaboy View Post
    This leaves me to question though, why they advertise themselves as an all vegetarian pub when they've got fishy beer?
    They probably either don't care enough to check or assume that the customers don't know or care how their beer is made. You should email them to let them know that their customers would like vegetarian and vegan beer as well as food.
    Houmous atá ann!

Really looking forward to Brighton VegFest. I think there are 6 of us flying down from Glasgow on the Thursday. We're stopping off in London for, what we have decided to call the "slag of buffets" (Jai in Soho), before making our way down to Brighton for the weekend. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Mousee!!

busy, wont be attending.
    if theresany one looking for a room, theres a ad on Gumtree for a room comming up at the end of the month. queens park area

I went for a roast at The George last weekend, and although the food did seem to taste quite nice, and well thought out - it was the saltiest meal I have eaten in my entire life. Inedible. Clearly the chef hadn't tasted anything before it went out - or has an unnaturally high tolerance to sodium....

Super excited for VegFest this weekend! Beyond Skin also have a sale which is not too far from Hove town hall - up to 70% off!

I miss May's!! It was always the greatest shop! Now it's an antique shop

Mousee!!

went to Loving Hut.....super dissapointed....so greasy and tastless and i REALLY wanted it to be good. i dont want a video showing animals being mistreated whilst eating.

What did you have? I love that place, never eat anywhere else to be honest.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

I see vBites has moved to East Street, anyone been?

Mousee!!

Satay veg w tofu and noodles. Tofu was soft and tastless, sauce also...noodles and beansprouts were swimmin in oil. Nasty shit.

Hello Fatvegan.

I have been. I must say I was very suprised how the food was. me and my partner went to the old place about 2 years ago and never went back due to the food. But now I have to say it is very much improved. I had the fries and the Hickory Burger.

Quote HC View Post
    Hello Fatvegan.

I have been. I must say I was very suprised how the food was. me and my partner went to the old place about 2 years ago and never went back due to the food. But now I have to say it is very much improved. I had the fries and the Hickory Burger.
    My boyfriend ordered the same and said it was incredible! It certainly smelt good! Stuffed with coleslaw, too. Really want to to go and try it! They also had an interesting looking salad bar, which I think was pay-per-weight? Lots of cake, too.

Quote Troutina View Post
    My boyfriend ordered the same and said it was incredible! It certainly smelt good! Stuffed with coleslaw, too. Really want to to go and try it! They also had an interesting looking salad bar, which I think was pay-per-weight? Lots of cake, too.
    - - - Updated - - -

We did take a quick peak at the salad cart and it did look ok. But for me I would of had to buy maybe a dish on the side as a meal. With regarding the cakes. There were nun left when we went. We go there about 4ish so a bit late really. We r going to go back and try something else soon

Hello everyone. Hopw all is well. and you all have nejoyed the summer lol. where has it gone. It is raining here in sussex :-( time to put my rany coat on I think lol. Any how. Just to let you all know vegan cupcakes are now at the New York Coffee Shop In Brighton, Which is next to the clock tower. Flavours are: Triple Chocolate - Triple oreo - And Marathon. Go and get yours before they run out. happy cupcake eating

www.heavenlyvegancupcake.com