Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Mousee!!

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

i prefer to have pizzas without fake meats and cheese so i tend to have the funghi no cheese, gf base extra mushrooms. the woodsman, johnno or M.Y.O.

Just devoured a box of raspberry cupcakes from these guys in Lewes, very yummy and they are vegans so know what they're talking about, unlike the bakery in Brighton, that gave me 'vegan' cupcakes with cochineal in! http://www.heavenlyvegancupcakes.com/ . A box of montezuma's praline eggs seems to have found it's way into my stomach this easter too.

Those Montezuma's eggs are vg, I bought some for Mr Harpy and have been obliged to eat several myself. Are they an Easter special I wonder?

Boho Gelato (who always have at least 4 vegan sorbet flavours) had a mouthwatering Chocolate & Blood Orange and a wonderful Coffee Hazlenut flavour yesterday which really reminded me of the Tofutti Coffee Marshamallow flavour from some years ago.

I believe Pizzaface have a Lychee flavour sorbet from Boho Gelato at the moment. Last time I was in there I got the Gin & Tonic sorbet - very tasty!

I bought some new Vegi-Belle No3 'barbecue green' cheese from Infinity but haven't tried it yet. They also had No2 'barbecue red' flavour.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Somebody told me that VBites is back on form (although I know some people don't agree that it was off form). Anyway I need to go and check it out

Talking Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

Quote harpy View Post
    Somebody told me that VBites is back on form (although I know some people don't agree that it was off form). Anyway I need to go and check it out
    Each time I say I'll never try V Bites again, I do, and I'm always disappointed... Having said that, I will probably check it out again!! x

I just wish I had a vegan place to eat in over here in Northern Ireland full stop! Let's hope a branch of V Bites opens up in Belfast.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Went to V Bites, not much seems to have changed, they do have a noticeboard, which was new since I'd been in, but that's almost a year... I had a burger and cheezly, which was pretty nice, nice bun, really filling. The drinks are too expensive- £1.50 for Whole Earth can, too much of a mark-up for me. Also I think the burgers are too pricey- £4.25 for my burger and 'cheese'. Will probably try something else there soon. xx

I haven't been to VBites for ages as it is totally out of my way now my friend has moved. If it was open in the evenings I'd probably venture over to give it another go.

I tried two new cakes in Iydea at the weekend. They have a really lovely chocolate chilli cake, the sponge was soft and moist and there was a good proportion of frosting in the middle and ganache on the top. I think it's my new favourite cake in Brighton! Don't be put off by the chilli - my friend doesn't like hot or spicy things but thought this was great.
    They also had a raspberry, vanilla and almond cake which had a nice flavour but the sponge was a bit dry and dense and there were a few too many raspberry seeds in it, even for my friend who generally doesn't mind them. Maybe it will be better on another day.

I also like the chilli chocolate brownie from Infinity health food shop but it's a bit pricey at £2.80 for a square (and even worse if bought direct from the cafe - it's £3.20 regardless of whether you eat in or out).

No doubt it has been mentioned earlier in the thread but just a reminder that Moshi Moshi (near the town hall) have vegan dishes which are all marked on the menu and includes Redwoods mock duck, fish and cheese. They do a fab aubergine thing which wasn't on the menu this time but they made it for me anyway.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I don't think VBites is ever going to be a gastronomic treat but the 2 or 3 times I went I quite liked it as a place to hang out, particularly the time it was nice enough to sit outside and admire the local dogs. Haven't been for ages though.

Do Iydea do their cakes as takeaways, does anyone know?

Quote harpy View Post
    I don't think VBites is ever going to be a gastronomic treat but the 2 or 3 times I went I quite liked it as a place to hang out, particularly the time it was nice enough to sit outside and admire the local dogs. Haven't been for ages though.

yes I think so, at least I sometimes get their brownie/tiffin to take away (which is incredible!!) x

- - - Updated - - -

went to Loving Hut today, had Kung Pao which is one of the best dishes.... YUM!! also had a Swedish Glace cone, which was really nice apart from the soft mushy cone, would be nicer if it was crunchy.
    was planning on buying a Bucaneer bar as never had one, but sadly they were out of stock
    has anyone been to Cooper's Cask lately? never been but think me and the bf will try it out soon, they have two meals marked vegan, seems like a nice pub too
    x

Quote harpy View Post
    They do harpy. They use cardboard box with a plastic lid which dries out the cakes though so I'd advise you to bring your own container or transfer the cake into tuppaware asap after purchase.

Where are people eating in Lewes these days since we no longer have Seasons or options at The Snowdrop? I ate at Shanaz (83 High Street, 01273 488028) recently and thought the food was very good - and they knew what a vegan was which is always a good start!

At the Kemptown Carnival there was a very nice vegan sushi stall which I think was called Yum Yum Sushi but I have never heard of them before and can't find anything from a search online. Titbits had their lovely vegan cake and tapas stall there too (they are usually in Upper Gardener Street Market 9-5 every Saturday, as well as doing their Pop Up at Fanny's of Hanover every Friday evening).

Thanks for the info, Marrers and yo-yo. I was actually in Iydea yesterday with some of the ancient Britons but our main courses were so filling that the question of takeaway cake completely slipped my mind. It's amazing value, lunch for six quid or whatever it is.

Quote Marrers View Post
    ThWhere are people eating in Lewes these days since we no longer have Seasons or options at The Snowdrop? I ate at Shanaz (83 High Street, 01273 488028) recently and thought the food was very good - and they knew what a vegan was which is always a good start!
    I went to The Snowdrop around a year ago and they had pitta bread and houmous with olives on the menu. I know it's not much but at least it's something. I also emailed them a few weeks ago and they confirmed that they always have a vegan option roast on a Sunday! Really want to try it soon!
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

Went to Lewes today, hoping to eat at Seasons...didn't know it had closed! Noooooo! So gutted, it was SO great in there. Anyone know what happened? Don't suppose they relocated or are planning on re-opening somewhere else??

Went to V Bites with my sister and brother last week, I was really disappointed (again), had the hot dog but they had obviously defrosted the roll as half of it was all hard, didn't want to take it back as didn't want to make a scene with my family there, tried one of their chips, they were really gross, tasted like they had been sitting there for ages. They seemed to like it, enjoyed their burgers and to be fair the salad was quite nice (but it's pretty hard to mess a salad up!). Won't be going there again in a hurry.

Oh dear yoyo, sorry you were disappointed. I did mention it a few posts above but I think it's been closed for quite a while. Infinity still sell their frozen meals so I assume they are still going in some sense.

Boho Gelato in Brighton has had vegan twinkies a few times recently and their bakewell sorbet was amazing!

Quote yo-yo View Post
    Went to Lewes today, hoping to eat at Seasons...didn't know it had closed! Noooooo! So gutted, it was SO great in there. Anyone know what happened? Don't suppose they relocated or are planning on re-opening somewhere else??

Went to V Bites with my sister and brother last week, I was really disappointed (again), had the hot dog but they had obviously defrosted the roll as half of it was all hard, didn't want to take it back as didn't want to make a scene with my family there, tried one of their chips, they were really gross, tasted like they had been sitting there for ages. They seemed to like it, enjoyed their burgers and to be fair the salad was quite nice (but it's pretty hard to mess a salad up!). Won't be going there again in a hurry.
    Seasons of Lewes closed early last year. To my knowledge it may of been due to lease problems. I'm not sure if their products are still being sold in Infinity. Best to check. The place itself was run down and falling to bits, particularly the lavatories. Great shame, as the hospitality and ambience as well as the food was nice.

Alternatively, I popped into Aloka yesterday and they are still doing Mon-Fri after 4.30pm half price sit down/take away. All food is either vegan or raw. Well worth it and plenty of choices!

Quote Marrers View Post
    Oh dear yoyo, sorry you were disappointed. I did mention it a few posts above but I think it's been closed for quite a while. Infinity still sell their frozen meals so I assume they are still going in some sense.

Boho Gelato in Brighton has had vegan twinkies a few times recently and their bakewell sorbet was amazing!
    hey, yeh I hadn't seen your post before going there! Haven't been to Boho Gelato. What are vegan twinkies?

Quote mutuality View Post
    Seasons of Lewes closed early last year. To my knowledge it may of been due to lease problems. I'm not sure if their products are still being sold in Infinity. Best to check. The place itself was run down and falling to bits, particularly the lavatories. Great shame, as the hospitality and ambience as well as the food was nice.

Alternatively, I popped into Aloka yesterday and they are still doing Mon-Fri after 4.30pm half price sit down/take away. All food is either vegan or raw. Well worth it and plenty of choices!
    Yeh I kind of liked the slightly ramshackled-ness of it, I like places with character and I thought it was so cosy in there, I don't really like places which feel too formal. It was a bit like sitting in your living room wasn't it? Well, actually I suppose it depends on what your living room is like!!

I haven't been to Aloka in ages, I used to do yoga there (it has a really nice studio) and occasionally I would get the take away box, I loved the food there. Though weirdly the upstairs restaurant wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped, we won a meal there a couple of years ago and I was so excited as it was raw vegan. But the meal my bf had wasn't nice at all. Don't know if it's the same now. I do need to go in there again, used to love the macaroons they did.
    yo-yo

After reading some of the previous reviews, I decided to pay a visit to VBites today and was pleasantly surprised with everything from the service, cleanliness, food and prices. I ordered 2 coffees and a beanburger. The burger was very tasty, filling and freshly prepared and came with salad. The roll was large and fresh too. At a reasonable price of £3.95 it was well worth purchasing. I certainly did not need chips or anything else to go with it. The service was very polite and personalised. The place was tidy and hygienic including the toilets. I think for feedback purposes the only drawback was that when I originally asked to place an order (5.30pm), I was advised that the kitchen had closed. It was only for about a minute that the female assistant came around to me and offered to prepare me the burger. My advice to them would be that even if the kitchen is closed (bizarrely at that time) then the flexibility and personalised service will go a long way to attracting people back and encouraging more people to become vegan.

I went to V Bites today, with my bf. Between us we had a 'chicky' burger, a 'cheeze rasher' burger, chips and garlic bread. Have to say although they weren't amazing, the chips were the best I've had there, as the last few times, they were pretty gross. The burgers were really nice and filling, and the garlic bread was pretty good. On the downside, it's quite annoying to have all the food in disposable boxes, don't know why we couldn't have plates. They have a sign saying due to 'restrictions' they can't have cups and china outside, though lots of people had cups whilst we were there, so not sure on that. I'd go there again if I was up that way, and probably stick to having a burger as these seem to be pretty reliable. But I don't think V Bites will ever be up there with my favourite places to eat in Brighton (Loving Hut, Iydea, Aloka, Infinity), as they just don't seem to quite get it right.

That garlic bread looks great!

Quote Troutina View Post
    That garlic bread looks great!
    yes it was pretty good! When I make it at home I use a LOT of garlic, so it didn't seem that strong, but it was yum.

Mousee!!

I'm eating a very nice slice of carrot cake from infinity.lovely

Quote seamus View Post
    I'm eating a very nice slice of carrot cake from infinity.lovely
    I had an almondy tart thing from Infinity last week it was totally delish.
    Going to buy a vegan cupcake from NYCC (near clock tower) this afternoon to have with
    my afternoon tea, the peanut ones are sublime. mmmmmm

Mousee!!

Aloka gone Sunday. Bye now

Seamus, care to explain.....what has happened?

Mousee!!

There will be press release out in a bit if it's not already. Out of a job now must start looking.will go into it more v soon I promise!

Quote seamus View Post
    There will be press release out in a bit if it's not already. Out of a job now must start looking.will go into it more v soon I promise!
    Oh no!!!!

Last edited by mutuality; Sep 6th, 2012 at 03:33 PM.

Oh dear - hope you find a job soon, seamus

Last night we decided to try Sabai Thai because it has a vegetarian and vegan menu (giving options of vegetable, tofu or quorn which my veggie o/h likes). The food was good but on enquiring whether this dish I was first going to order was vegan I was told it and some others contained shrimp paste . I pointed out that these dishes should not be on the vegetarian menu at all but they didn't seem to get it. I will be contacting them about it because veggies would order straight from that menu without checking ingredients.

I had the vegan duck teriyaki at Moshi Moshi last week but they have changed the recipe and it wasn't as nice as before. They have other vegan options though and if you haven't been you should check it out.

It would be great if people can share which pubs do a good vegan Sunday roast this year. Today we had the roast at Food For Friends. The meal was good but it took about 40 minutes to arrive. The general menu is not terribly good for vegans at the moment and I was disappointed to find there were no vegan red wine options by the glass (and only one by the bottle). I didn't look at the whites.

A real shame about Aloka closing, it was my favourite place for lunch and a good option for dinner. I feel for the staff who it seems were out of a job without much notice.
    With Terre a Terre is closed until early December after a kitchen fire it feels like evening eating out options are quite limited. Any ideas would be good.
    Last edited by Marrers; Oct 14th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.

Totally agree Marrers, I keep giving Food For Friends another chance and am usually disappointed.

Used to go for lunch in Aloka sometimes too.

I live in Brighton and the only place I will eat now is Terre a Terre, such a shame about the fire!

Boo Hoo!!!

Sadly Terre A Terre will be closed until the new year now.

Fabulous sorbets I have had from Boho Gelato recently include chocolate and coconut, pistachio and bakewell tart.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Sadly Terre A Terre will be closed until the new year now.

Fabulous sorbets I have had from Boho Gelato recently include chocolate and coconut, pistachio and bakewell tart.
    I know, got their email How can it take 3 months to refit a kitchen? I had 3 trips planned for December too! Still good news they are still in business though and all staff are staying too.

Where is Boho Gelato? Sounds like I need a visit

Quote escarmalanes View Post
    Where is Boho Gelato? Sounds like I need a visit
    You really do! It's on Pool Valley, where the coach stop is - not far from Terre A Terre in fact, just down that alleyway by the Fishbowl pub. They usually have at least four vegan sorbets at the front of the cabinet on the left but do ask to make sure (and in case they have another flavour in the back). The pistachio is divine and they had a fair bit left yesterday so if you can get there soon you might be in luck!

In this cold weather you might prefer to enjoy some of Boho's vegan sorbets at home! You can fill a polystyrene container which keeps it cold but I prefer to reuse my plastic tubs from Pizzaface and get them to 'blast freeze' while I do some other shopping, it makes it pretty solid so I can get it home unmelted. (They have empty plastic tubs available but you have to ask, they aren't on display.)

Pizzaface also stock Boho Gelato ice creams and sorbets in plastic tubs for £7 and they are frozen good and solid. They don't have any vegan sorbet in at present but they very often do. Hopefully you know that Pizzaface do extra vegan options every Monday and Tuesday - I had a vegan meathead pizza from there last night, it was fab!

Recent cake news - New York Coffee Company (NYCC) by the Clocktower are doing very nice vegan cupcakes. They are open in the evenings and do a good soya latte too. And Waikikamoocau now have vegan cupcakes in addition to their usual cakes by the slice.

I'm still hoping to hear about good places for Sunday lunch, especially now we are without Terre A Terre for longer.
    Last edited by Marrers; Nov 14th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Brighton sounds like it caters well for vegans Marrers.

I wish we had half of those choices over here, if I'm ever making a trip to the mainland I'll definitely be visiting Brighton.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

The appallingly named Waikikamoocow does indeed sell cupcakes by Operation Icing aka Jojo aka veganinbrighton. They are most scrumptious.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

They are good, my only gripe is the topping slips off - I have yet to get one home in one piece even though I have a special cupcake carrier. I haven't had this problem to the same extent with other cupcakes, normally I have to be quite careless with them for the icing to slip.

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    The appallingly named Waikikamoocow does indeed sell cupcakes by Operation Icing aka Jojo aka veganinbrighton. They are most scrumptious.
    They are so good! The specaloos flavour stayed put for me!

Such a shame about Terre a Terre, but thankfully all of the staff were safe. In terms of a Sunday Roast - I'm currently in love with the Earth and Stars, it is so delicious. But still comes a very close second to the Royal Sovereign, who make an incredible roast. I love Iydea for a quicky lunch.

Thanks for the info on roasts Troutina. Does the Earth & Stars have nut roast or something else?

Anyone tried the new falafel place on Sydney Street yet? I'm hearing good things about it.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Thanks for the info on roasts Troutina. Does the Earth & Stars have nut roast or something else?

Anyone tried the new falafel place on Sydney Street yet? I'm hearing good things about it.
    Earth & Stars have a vegetable puff pastry and brilliant sides. The Royal Sovereign have a houmous pie or veg pie, or linda mccartney sausages - though you HAVE to book or you could be waiting a couple of hours for a table.

Jojo (veganinbrighton) wrote a good review of the falafel place: http://veganinbrighton.blogspot.co.u...fel-joint.html

Quote escarmalanes View Post
    I had an almondy tart thing from Infinity last week it was totally delish.
    Going to buy a vegan cupcake from NYCC (near clock tower) this afternoon to have with
    my afternoon tea, the peanut ones are sublime. mmmmmm
    ooh, didn't realise NYCC did vegan cakes!! Have been in there for tea, but next time will investigate their cakes! thanks for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Marrers View Post
    Last night we decided to try Sabai Thai because it has a vegetarian and vegan menu (giving options of vegetable, tofu or quorn which my veggie o/h likes). The food was good but on enquiring whether this dish I was first going to order was vegan I was told it and some others contained shrimp paste . I pointed out that these dishes should not be on the vegetarian menu at all but they didn't seem to get it. I will be contacting them about it because veggies would order straight from that menu without checking ingredients.

I had the vegan duck teriyaki at Moshi Moshi last week but they have changed the recipe and it wasn't as nice as before. They have other vegan options though and if you haven't been you should check it out.

It would be great if people can share which pubs do a good vegan Sunday roast this year. Today we had the roast at Food For Friends. The meal was good but it took about 40 minutes to arrive. The general menu is not terribly good for vegans at the moment and I was disappointed to find there were no vegan red wine options by the glass (and only one by the bottle). I didn't look at the whites.

A real shame about Aloka closing, it was my favourite place for lunch and a good option for dinner. I feel for the staff who it seems were out of a job without much notice.
    With Terre a Terre is closed until early December after a kitchen fire it feels like evening eating out options are quite limited. Any ideas would be good.
    I haven't been there but I know that the Farm Tavern on Farm Road does vegan roasts, http://www.farmtavern.com/food_5.html
    as does Cooper's Cask, on the same road (again I can't vouch for it as haven't eaten there).

It doesn't surprise me about that Thai place, as fish products are a staple ingredient in Thai cooking, but as you say, it would really suck if you didn't check before ordering. Before I was vegan, when I was veggie, I used to eat Thai food all the time until I found out they used fish sauce in so-called veggie dishes, I was so annoyed and grossed out .

Apparently, my bf has just informed me that the West Hill pub has a good rep for its vegan roast (not that we have tried there either!!!).

Went to Loving Hut for my birthday treat with my bf last week. Was feeling very indecisive that day so just went with what I knew and had a delicious chow mein and spring rolls. Bf had 'chicken' burger and chips. Still one of my fave vegan eateries in Brighton.

Quote yo-yo View Post
    ooh, didn't realise NYCC did vegan cakes!! Have been in there for tea, but next time will investigate their cakes! thanks for this.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't been there but I know that the Farm Tavern on Farm Road does vegan roasts, http://www.farmtavern.com/food_5.html
    as does Cooper's Cask, on the same road (again I can't vouch for it as haven't eaten there).

It doesn't surprise me about that Thai place, as fish products are a staple ingredient in Thai cooking, but as you say, it would really suck if you didn't check before ordering. Before I was vegan, when I was veggie, I used to eat Thai food all the time until I found out they used fish sauce in so-called veggie dishes, I was so annoyed and grossed out .

Apparently, my bf has just informed me that the West Hill pub has a good rep for its vegan roast (not that we have tried there either!!!).

I had a roast at the West Hill pub around 18 months ago and really wasn't very impressed - not particularly warm food, watery gravy - but quite a nice red pepper nut roast. Wouldn't return when you have Royal Sovereign/Eart & Stars or The Eagle (when they actually have the vegan option on the menu..... very hit and miss).

Quote Troutina View Post
    I had a roast at the West Hill pub around 18 months ago and really wasn't very impressed - not particularly warm food, watery gravy - but quite a nice red pepper nut roast. Wouldn't return when you have Royal Sovereign/Eart & Stars or The Eagle (when they actually have the vegan option on the menu..... very hit and miss).
    Oh ok, good to know, thanks

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

We supply Vegan Cupcakes From Friday - Sunday at the NYCC In Brighton where the clock tower is.

Quote heavenly cupcakes View Post
    We supply Vegan Cupcakes From Friday - Sunday at the NYCC In Brighton where the clock tower is.
    I mentioned NYCC were selling cupcakes in post #585 above but didn't realise they only have them in on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. That's a shame, they should have them every day.
    They are very tasty but I must admit the sponge of the ginger cupcake I bought there on Sunday was rather stale and I had a stale chocolate one the other week. Perhaps they are not being stored correctly? I usually get them to take away - haven't been back yet, I will mention it to them next time I'm in.

Hello Marrers,

So sorry to hear that the felt the base were a bit stale. They get them every Friday morning and have a 3 day shelf life. If they are stored correctly then there should not be an issue as I have had no other complaints from any other customers. But I am glad you have said something as I now need to address this issue with the manager this Friday to see how he is storing them.

I am sure I will find out something he is doing wrong as I have tested all flavours in all different kind of conditions when it comes down to keeping them fresh.

Leave it with me and I will post back in here this coming Friday.

Thanks again for letting know. If you ever need to speak to me then please use the contact form at http://www.heavenlyvegancupcakes.com

Kind Regards

Heavenly Vegan Cupcakes x

I'm off for a roast at The Eddy on Sunday - will report back with my review! Have been told that they offer vegan yorkshire puddings, but am slightly skeptical at the moment...!

Quote Troutina View Post
    I'm off for a roast at The Eddy on Sunday - will report back with my review! Have been told that they offer vegan yorkshire puddings, but am slightly skeptical at the moment...!
    mmmm yorkshire puddings.....yum.... it's so hard to get them right though, let us know if they manage it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Troutina View Post
    mmmm yorkshire puddings.....yum.... it's so hard to get them right though, let us know if they manage it