Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

Quote yo-yo View Post
    am i missing something? how come you got the soup for free?! I'm such a scavenger, I can't bear not to know!! xx
    Hi Yo-Yo,

I think it was pot luck really. I just arrived at the right time and according to the delightful person serving 'hardly any left so she would give it to me for free'. However, I would beg to differ, (in a nice way of course) as there was plenty (2 small bowls). It seems from experience, that places like Infinity Cafe and in particular Iydea, will sell off unwanted food at, or around, 4pm or near closing time for reduced prices or even in my case free! Maybe one to note for the future.....

Quote harpy View Post
    My mother is more or less vegetarian and not doing too badly for 86 but she does object to standing around these days. (Finds it easier to roost upside down - she likes bats so I am allowed to say these things.)

Yes please do report back on those outings, and happy birthday when it comes. Thanks for all the tips.
    Hi Harpy,

No loitering for mum then....will do....cheers!

hihihihihihi

hi everyone

i'm not sure if it's already posted in this thread somewhere, but i'm pretty tired and i don't know if i can handle trawling through eleven pages of this thread to find out sooooo....

does anybody know where I can get a vegan friendly tattoo in brighton?

cxmnz

Quote twinkle toes View Post
    I've had a hard time finding anywhere, but Into You in the Lanes has a vegan tattooist. Not been down there to speak to them about it having said that, so let me know what you find out! Alternatively, although it's a bit of a journey, I've had Kids Love Ink in London recommended to me, and all their inks are vegan.

cxmnz

Has anyone tried Sabai next to the Pavillion Gardens? I've walked past a few times and see that their sign outside mentions vegan dishes, and their menu looks pretty good to me. I love Thai food but have had some disasters too, anyone got any experiences?

Quote cxmnz View Post
    I've had a hard time finding anywhere, but Into You in the Lanes has a vegan tattooist. Not been down there to speak to them about it having said that, so let me know what you find out! Alternatively, although it's a bit of a journey, I've had Kids Love Ink in London recommended to me, and all their inks are vegan.
    It's not too far from Brighton; Brighton - London Bridge - Deptford. Probably would take around an hour and a half max. and they are really nice guys, and have a good rep.

I don't know if its ok to post this here. I'm a vegan from Texas, I've lived here in Brighton for 2 years and I haven't really made any friends yet. My husband plays professional poker online so he stays home a lot and I don't work and I have a lot of time on my hands. Would anyone like to meet up and have lunch or coffee with me?

Quote harpy View Post
    My mother is more or less vegetarian and not doing too badly for 86 but she does object to standing around these days. (Finds it easier to roost upside down - she likes bats so I am allowed to say these things.)

Yes please do report back on those outings, and happy birthday when it comes. Thanks for all the tips.
    West Hill Pub - another delicious meal (red pepper and cashew nut roast) with all the trimmings i.e. roast potatoes, peas, carrots, broccoli, vegan yorkshire pudding, red cabbage, leeks, parsnip and vegan gravy. Dessert - vegan chocolate cake with a hint of chilli. Rating - 9.5/10.

Aloka - popped in the following day for vegan take-away buffet (half price between 3.30-4.30 Mon-Fri). A box consisting of round nut burgers, quinoa, salad, portobello mushroom topped with cashew cream, stuffed butternut squash, rawslaw, raw broccoli tofu and red cabbage, babaganoush, houmous, beetroot dip, sesame seeds. All based on weight totalling £4.34. Rating - 8.5/10.

Terre Terre - shared 2 starters of the most wonderful, tasty, tomato soup with Fabulous Garlic Focaccia. Also had corncakes with salsa, guacamole and chilli jelly. The mains consisted of Rosti Revisited

crispy fried potato, onion and garlic rosti topped with creamy spinach, sautéed and finished with soya cream, garlic, parsley and nutmeg, topped with hoisin tofu with pickled ginger.

Dessert - Tipsy Coconut Cakelets Cardamom-infused fruit syrup drenched little coconut cake, served with pineapple and passionfruit salad, a mango and coconut sorbet, glazed banana and a rum tipple tip over. Rating - 9/10.

God that sounds good.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote mutuality View Post
    Hi Yo-Yo,

I think it was pot luck really. I just arrived at the right time and according to the delightful person serving 'hardly any left so she would give it to me for free'. However, I would beg to differ, (in a nice way of course) as there was plenty (2 small bowls). It seems from experience, that places like Infinity Cafe and in particular Iydea, will sell off unwanted food at, or around, 4pm or near closing time for reduced prices or even in my case free! Maybe one to note for the future.....
    oh right cool! yeh i have heard people talk about Iydea doing this, I just never seem to be there at that time... x

Quote twinkle toes View Post
    hihihihihihi

hi everyone

i'm not sure if it's already posted in this thread somewhere, but i'm pretty tired and i don't know if i can handle trawling through eleven pages of this thread to find out sooooo....

hi twinkle toes- I posted something about this very topic a little while back. no-one got back to me on here, so I made a list of tattoo places in Brighton and started to call them. Like someone else said, I found out that Into You have vegan inks, and I was told on the phone that this meant any of the tattooists could use them. I also, around the same time, went with a friend to this tattoo place on Portland Road (she was having some work done) and was chatting to one of the guys there about vegan inks.. He seemed to think that all inks came from one source in America, a huge company, and that it was all vegan (or possibly that none of it was?!), essentially he was saying that it doesn't make sense if one tattoo studio says they have 'vegan ink' because it's all from the same place....
    Anyway I don't know what the truth is and despite having a consultation at Into You a few weeks ago I am no closer to getting my first one!
    love yo-yo xx

Hello everyone! This thread seems to be mostly about food, but I hope it's OK to post this here too.

I'm a 22-year-old Swedish student who's planning to go to Brighton in September to study English. My thinking is that it would be boring to only hang out with people from Sweden when I'm in Britain and since I'm a bit slow at getting to know people I thought it would probably be a good idea to start now. Since I'm a vegan I thought: Who could be nicer to make friends with than other vegans?

So, if you feel that you would like to help me feel at home and welcome and not quite so frightened when I go to Brighton in the autumn, feel free to send me a message! I would also welcome any other tips you might have. For example I'm looking for a place to live during my stay, preferably a furnished room in a vegan household.

I've also got a ticket for the Specials concert in October. Would be nice to know of others that are going!

Oh vegan Brighton, how I miss thee!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

leedsveg

Hi Zebrafanten and welcome to the forum.

Good luck in getting what you are wanting and I wish I could help you but Brighton is a long way from Leeds.

Leedsveg

Hello Zebrafanten - sometimes people advertise vegan flatshares etc (wanted or available) on here: http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/notices.htm

I would think there ought to be something similar just for Brighton but I haven't found it yet!

cxmnz

Zebrafanten: I would also recommend searching for "vegan" on http://brighton.gumtree.com under the property section for somewhere to live, as there's often quite a few vegan houseshares available on there in my experience.

Thanks for the information! I' ll stay on the lookout. If you've got any other tips, just let me know!

Zebrafanten - I'm fairly sure that Infinity Foods, a very popular wholefood co-op and retailer, have a noticeboard in their shop. Maybe if you ask them nicely they'd put a postcard on it for you? http://www.infinityfoodsretail.co.uk/shop/ The shop isn't exclusively vegan but I bet a lot of vegans shop in there.

recommendations needed for somewhere to eat out in Eastbourne... xx

I expect you all got this too but just in case:

Just a quick note from Viva! HQ to our friends in the South East.
    The lovely people at VBites, at Hove Lagoon, are re-opening their fantastic vegan café this Saturday (11 April). Get down there to enjoy some good company, sunshine and great food!
    They have also asked us to put the word out that they are looking for a couple of staff members for the season. Positions available are chef/cook and manager/supervisor. The cook position to start ASAP!
    Contact VBites direct for more information: admin@vbites.com
    Please pass this onto anyone who might find this of interest and would like to work in a dynamic, purely vegan environment.
    Best wishes from all of us here and thank you for your support!

Justin Kerswell and the Viva! team
    www.viva.org.uk
    0117 944 1000

Quote yo-yo View Post
    recommendations needed for somewhere to eat out in Eastbourne... xx
    Hi yo-yo,

To my knowledge, there is a place called Greens in Seaside Road (25) which is a vegetarian cafe but does vegan options on request. Please do let us know if it is any good.

Quote mutuality View Post
    Hi yo-yo,

To my knowledge, there is a place called Greens in Seaside Road (25) which is a vegetarian cafe but does vegan options on request. Please do let us know if it is any good.
    brilliant, thanks a lot for this, I will check to see if they're open etc xx

I can't see that it has been posted here before - Red Veg in Brighton has now closed down.

As previously mentioned VBites has reopened for the summer. I hear the food is being served in disposable wrapping and they no longer have proper crockery etc. They no longer have their cake conveyor belt and I'm told don't have much in the way of cakes (according to the menu just flapjacks and iced muffins). New menu here.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Thanks Marrers - it's good to have confirmation about VBites reopening. Some of us were wondering if it had.

I finally made it to Iydea the other day, on a hot and sunny Sunday. I like the food very much but found the old-fashioned-wholefood style of presentation, with everything piled on to a little plate and mixed up, a little daunting. It reminded me of the original Food for Friends concept though, if anyone remembers that.

Also I was glad we arrived early because by the time I went back to the queue for pud tempers seemed to be fraying a little, even though the service was efficient.

Good value and delicious grub though - I would go back and either get a takeaway or make sure I arrived before the rush.

eta shame about Red Veg - I thought they were hoping to reopen the London branch, wonder if they still are.

Cool Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

Quote harpy View Post
    Thanks Marrers - it's good to have confirmation about VBites reopening. Some of us were wondering if it had.

I finally made it to Iydea the other day, on a hot and sunny Sunday. I like the food very much but found the old-fashioned-wholefood style of presentation, with everything piled on to a little plate and mixed up, a little daunting. It reminded me of the original Food for Friends concept though, if anyone remembers that.

Also I was glad we arrived early because by the time I went back to the queue for pud tempers seemed to be fraying a little, even though the service was efficient.

Good value and delicious grub though - I would go back and either get a takeaway or make sure I arrived before the rush.

eta shame about Red Veg - I thought they were hoping to reopen the London branch, wonder if they still are.
    yes it is like the old Food for Friends! used to like it in those days, don't really rate it there now..

Iydea has been one of my favourite places to get food for a few years now, for me it's the roti, also one of the cheapest things to take away...and so tasty!! Funny you said about it being daunting, my bf finds it all a bit complicated and doesn't go in there really unless we're together and I explain how it works!!

Really surprised Red Veg is shut down...are you sure it's not just closed for refurb??

xxx

I miss the "old" Food for Friends as well though I do quite like its new incarnation too. I must go back to Iydea again before I forget the system and then I will be more confident ;-)

Quote yo-yo View Post
    Really surprised Red Veg is shut down...are you sure it's not just closed for refurb??
    No I think it is closed permanently. They posted this on their Facebook page on 1st March.
    It pains me deeply to inform you all this will be RED VEG last weekend of trading from our Gardner Street branch COME AND GET ALL OF YOUR FAVOURITE VEGETARIAN AND VEGAN TREATS WHILST YOU STILL CAN!
    Also a massive thanks to all friends family and customers who have made this such a fun place to work and at times simply hangout whils...t establishing myself in Brighton.
    ANDY RAA!!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Veg/351966754325

Iydea seem to have some new cakes in, they look interesting but I haven't tried them yet.

The Earth and Stars are very clued up on their vegan alcohol - beers, ciders and wines - and they still have vegan food (including pizza and home marinated tofu) but if you are going for Sunday lunch booking is advised as they get very busy. Let them know you are vegan so they can ensure the pastry used for the vegetable pie is suitable.

Went to the Prince George for Sunday lunch last weekend and had the Almond and Asparagus Wellington, £8.50. It was very nice.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

The cakes we had in Iydea a couple of weeks back were vg - I think one was chocolate and the other ?toffee apple? - but I don't know if they were new as that was my first time there.

Good to hear the Prince George might be back on form, have read some rather mixed things about it lately.

I miss Brighton sooooo much! Can I grab it and dump it in Norfolk somewhere?

No, put it back veganvoo! I thought Norfolk was OK as well these days?

^ We had Nachos at the PG a couple of weekends ago - pretty vile

And the guy (owner, manager, no idea) watching over things proceeded to tell me that non of the beers on tap were vegan. Errrr, ok then (wasnt the case).

But your nosh does look great Marrers.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

For all cake lovers I'd highly recommend the Loving Hut vegan cafe lemon cake, it's light and moist with a very nice topping.

Sad to see the demise of Red Veg. A few weeks ago I looked through the window to see if there was a possibility it was being refurbished but was surprised to see part of the ceiling had come down and there was water on the floor, but I now know it's closed for good.

We recently ate at Waikikamookau (after avoiding it for many years due to bad service, inconsistent info re what was vegan and getting orders wrong on each visit) and we were pleasantly surprised. The vegan items are once again marked on the menu and although we had to wait half an hour for our food it was nice once it arrived.

Their cakes are now different from the ones served at Infinity and various other places in Brighton and the lemon drizzle layer cake is lovely.

Quote yo-yo View Post
    brilliant, thanks a lot for this, I will check to see if they're open etc xx
    we got there too late and it was closed so went to Pizza Express instead... x

Quote harpy View Post
    I miss the "old" Food for Friends as well though I do quite like its new incarnation too. I must go back to Iydea again before I forget the system and then I will be more confident ;-)
    went into Iydea for a cheap breakfast snack the other week and they have changed things- there's now an actual menu, it confused me that much that I left again! (but it also had to do with the fact that I couldn't see anything I wanted for the tiny amount of money I had on me....) x
    x

Quote Marrers View Post
    We recently ate at Waikikamookau (after avoiding it for many years due to bad service, inconsistent info re what was vegan and getting orders wrong on each visit) and we were pleasantly surprised. The vegan items are once again marked on the menu and although we had to wait half an hour for our food it was nice once it arrived.
    might try them again then, have also not been in for years. my bf says the hot dogs they were doing outside were amazing x

Infinity Foods are now stocking Vegusto cheese. There is a tasting on Saturday and as there are quite a few flavours it would be worthwhile going so you can see which ones you like before forking out £4.95.

Did the vegan tour of Brighton including Loving Hut, V Bites and Waikikamookau - but obviously didn't spend enough time at Infinity otherwise I would have seen the Vegusto cheese - darn it!
    V - Bites is interesting. Very much like a vegan McDonalds and my daughters were delighted to have pizza and ice cream. The wrap I had had not only deep fried not really chicken stuff but also a masive amount of mayo - a bit too much fat for me. But it's just by a playpark and the sea and kids and parents were coming in and getting vegan "Mrs Swirly" ice creams and possibly not knowing they were vegan but eating them anyway - which I thought was pretty cool.

I'
    Quote yo-yo View Post
    went into Iydea for a cheap breakfast snack the other week and they have changed things- there's now an actual menu, it confused me that much that I left again! (but it also had to do with the fact that I couldn't see anything I wanted for the tiny amount of money I had on me....) x
    x
    The new system is much better I think though- there are so many options but it's easier to order a bit of everything. Plus the staff are so nice, I'm sure you can omit things you don't like, and replace them with the amazing smoked baked beans!

Hello - not sure if this the place to say it but Gorilla (sometime of this parish) and I are planning to meet for lunch at 1pm this coming Saturday in the Brighton Loving Hut and would be pleased if anyone from here would like to join us. Apologies for short notice. Let's hope the weather will have improved by then!

Please PM me if you need any more details.

Pizzaface have just launched a set of vegan specials - pizzas including smoked tofu, sausage and chorizo! They're currently running 4 or 5 vegan specials a week, plus extras such as sour cream and coleslaw as well as the garlic bread, ice cream and sorbet which they already offer! http://www.pizzafacepizza.co.uk/
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

my pops and I are in Brighton this weekend. We'll be near the centre I think but I don't know the area well at all. Which are the best (and easiest to find!) eateries??
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Quote FaerieSuzy View Post
    my pops and I are in Brighton this weekend. We'll be near the centre I think but I don't know the area well at all. Which are the best (and easiest to find!) eateries??
    If you are travelling to Brighton by train, then head down from the main station (Queens Road) and turn left either at the 1st set of traffic lights (Gloucester Road on foot) or the 2nd (North Road - foot or car). Follow it down until you get to either Kensington St (via Gloucester Road) or Gardner St (via North Road) both on your right hand side i.e. North Laines area. There is a wide selection of vegan eateries e.g. Iydea, Wai Kiki Moo (Kensington St) or Infinity Foods cafe (Gardner St). The earlier you get there the better as they get packed by 1pm and you find yourself queuing or with nowhere to sit.

There are other places that you may like to consider: - Loving Hut cafe (Chinese - The Level, St.Peter's Place), Aloka (vegan, raw, organic - 14 East Street), Terre Terre also in East Street across the road. If you do a google search for vegan eateries then this will give you more specific information and reviews too.

Good luck, hope you have a appetising and enjoyable weekend!

PS - do let us know how you got on

Thank you! I've written your post down on a piece of paper to take with me so we don't get lost haha!
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Hi I'm hoping to move to Brighton soon and have been trying to find a homeswap.

I may have found one, in Hove, but I thought I would ask in here if anyone can recommend good places to live in Brighton as I don't know it very well!

I'm very excited at living in such a vegan friendly city even though I don't actually know anyone!

Any advice would be most gratefully received x
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Hi rianaelf.
    I live in Hove and am really happy living here, though if I had a choice I would prefer to live in Brighton. Having said that where I live (near the Cricket Ground) I am so close to town that I can't really complain! I have lived in a few different areas in Brighton and Hove over the last ten or so years and would recommend any of them- Hanover, near Queen's Park/Kemptown, Preston Circus, near Hove Station.
    If there are any specific areas you come across then I'll be glad to let you know what they're like.
    love yo-yo xx

I live between Brighton station and Seven Dials and I love this location. You're 5 mins from town and the station but it's so quiet and peaceful. Seven Dials has a really cute mini-town with popular restaurants, bars, and two co-ops and a healthfood shop!

Thanks yo-yo and Troutina, that is most helpful info!

Unfortunately the Hove swap fell through so am still looking but it's good to have some idea of where to look and I shall definitely get back to you if I'm offered anything else xx
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Quote Troutina View Post
    Pizzaface have just launched a set of vegan specials - pizzas including smoked tofu, sausage and chorizo! They're currently running 4 or 5 vegan specials a week, plus extras such as sour cream and coleslaw as well as the garlic bread, ice cream and sorbet which they already offer! http://www.pizzafacepizza.co.uk/
    As Troutina said Pizzaface are doing a bigger range of vegan pizzas - this is on Mondays and Tuesdays - check website on thoses days for details. http://www.pizzafacepizza.co.uk
    Here is what was on offer this week but check the website before ordering as it may change:-
    (from Pizzaface website)
    "EVERY MONDAY AND TUESDAY, WE WILL BE ADDING SPECIALS TO THE VEGAN OPTIONS. BY DOING IT ON ONLY TWO DAYS A WEEK IT MEANS WE CAN HAVE A MUCH WIDER CHOICE OF VEGAN OPTIONS AND IT KEEPS OUR INGREDIENTS FRESH.

PIZZAS
    THE BILL CLINTON £ 9 (VEGAN)
    Cheese, red onions, mixed peppers, pepperoni and fresh rosemary
    THE MOBY £ 10 (VEGAN)
    Cheese, chorizo, smoked sausage, marinated peppers, sour cream and red onion (£10)
    THOM YORKE £ 9 (VEGAN)
    Cheese, spinach, smoked tofu, pine nuts, sour cream and chopped garlic
    VEGAN VESUVIUS £ 9 (VEGAN)
    Pepperoni, chorizo, red onions and fresh chillies
    VEGAN MEATHEAD £ 12 (VEGAN)
    Cheese, chorizo, bacon, pepperoni, smoked sausage, mushrooms and red onions
    VEGAN HAM AND PINEAPPLE £ 10 (VEGAN)
    Cheese, Ham, fresh pineapple and sour cream

ICE CREAMS
    MIXED BERRY SORBET (VEGAN) £ 6
    MINT CHOCOLATE SORBET (VEGAN) £ 6

SALADS
    VEGAN COLESLAW £ 3
    Exactly the same stuff as our normal coleslaw but vegan! Made with vegan sour cream, lemon juice and dijon mustard
    "
    I've recently had the Thom Yorke and the Vegan Meathead, both very nice but I thought the Thom Yorke needed extra toppings. They also stock Boho Gelato vegan sorbet, often they have the delicious chocolate mint.

Boho Gelato usually have four vegan flavours in their shop in Pool Valley. Recently they've had the very yummy chocolate chilli as well as melon, grapefruit, pink champagne and mixed berry. You can take your selection away in polystyrene containers which keep it frozen for over an hour and can be washed and reused. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boho-G...31479596873352

There's another gelato on St James's Street (where Cherry Tree deli used to be) and they have some vegan sorbets too. Both places make the sorbets themselves.

My BF had the Vegan Meathead, which I thought was alright but I didn't like the lack of veggies personally
    The Moby was fantastic though - the sour cream was delicious, and the topping combination too! Tempted by the coleslaw.