Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

It doesn't make total sense to me (am I being thick?) but here is the reply I got from VBites.
    Dear Marrers,
    I do apologise that we were not open when you came yesterday. Our kitchen closes at 9:00pm but we are open till 10:30, sometimes even later! Due to our location, we do shut it down after the kitchen closes and this occasion we did close. We strongly suggest that customers call and make a reservation prior to arriving so this does not happen again.
    Again, our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
    Regards,
    Nicholas De La Rosa III
    General Manager
    VBites, Hove
    01273 933757
    www.vbites.com
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    It doesn't make total sense to me (am I being thick?) but here is the reply I got from VBites.
    I guess they mean they shut if no one is there and they aren't expecting anyone? Worth knowing, thanks!

The couple of times I've been it was lunchtime, and the place was packed out, even though it was a cold day the second time, but I suppose people don't feel so much like a walk along the prom or whatever after dark.

Just realised they might also mean putting up the shutters while they are still open. (They board up with windows on the skate park side.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote littlemiss View Post
    There was a vegan cake on the specials boards but didn't say what the cake was and we didn't want dessert.
    Jojo from the PPK is now making the cakes for the George - linky linky here:
    http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum....php?id=108016
    They look amazing to me!

littlemiss

The cakes look great! I'l have to make a special visit to the George just for cake next time. We're going back in Feb but with omni friends. They are spanish (and he is a chef) so I'd like to take them somewhere spanish, Casa Don Carlos seems to have good reviews but can't find a website, anyone know if they do anything vegan? Or know the website so I can email them. Thanks!

Kensingtons is a nice place to go if you're waiting to meet someone or just want to chill out and read a newspaper or something and they do a pretty good vegan breakfast roll. Also the cowley club sell vegan brownies at some of their gigs which are great, I went to a night of polish punk bands there once which I thought was pretty horrendous and stayed at the bar all night eating brownies mmm

Mousee!!

dont like vbites.
    george is crap

infinity is nice
    red veg too.
    idyea havnt got an idea

moo-cow is fum.

anyone here been to Aloka?

Aloka has been mentioned quite a few times in this thread if you look back. I've been there and posted my experiences in this thread also. If you search for Aloka it will show you all the posts which mention the place but this is my first review. I've been back since and really like it. It's particularly good value 3-4pm as two can eat in for the price of one or you can have a take-way box for half price.
    Last edited by Marrers; Feb 3rd, 2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: to change link to one which works

Unfortunately you can't link to search results, otherwise it'd have to store permantantly details of every search and you'd be able to change the number to see what others have searched for.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Oh, okay thanks. Well they are mostly in this thread anyway but I've edited to link to the most useful comment.

Aloka are doing special evening meal deals.
    £10 for a 'help yourself' plate from the buffet and a glass of wine or beer (£8 with a soft drink)

£10 for two courses - starter (from starter menu) and main course (from buffet) or main course (from buffet) and dessert. You can add a third course for £4.50

littlemiss

Had my little break in Brighton again. Ideya had a lovely vegan choc cake. Never got to the Spanish place as friends didn't seem to eat..at al...l so cant say how good it would be for vegans. Tried George on Monday, food looked terrible, left straight away. Forced to go to food for friends, lovley food but not enough for vegans, I ordered a starter and a side for dinner and we were still hungry as the portions a little small. Stocked up in Montezumas.

I've just heard that The George has new owners and they plan to make it a normal pub, not veggie anymore.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I've just heard that The George has new owners and they plan to make it a normal pub, not veggie anymore.
    major fail.

Never seemed empty whenever I've been there, so don't see why they'd want to change it!

We've booked a couple of mid-week nights in the ever so glamorous Brighton travelodge this June (my birthday), with plan to go on a restaurant binge. Have not tried Terre-a-terre; apparently their food is good but they don't always have much vegan choice?

It's true but if you've never been before you won't be bored with the selection! You're such a foodie Mr F you really need to eat here. Don't have the Rosti though - it's divine but the most tame thing on the menu so you won't be getting the true Terre à Terre experience.
    (The current menu is here but will change so check again nearer the time.)

Quote Marrers View Post
    Sadly the last time I had something nice there was back in 2006 I think and bad reports have stopped me bothering to go back. It's a shame as it was lovely in its heyday. At least there is Iydea which is my favourite place for a hot lunch now.

Quote Marrers View Post
    You're such a foodie Mr F
    You calling me fat?

One only has to look at your blog (not your waistline - it's been a while since I've seen that! ) to realise you are a connoisseur sir!

Get the Terre a Tapas! It's so good!

I think the tapas is good but it's not really something you couldn't get elsewhere so, on a one-off visit, I'd say don't have the tapas! (Sorry Troutina.)

That's epic fail about The George.....
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I think the tapas is good but it's not really something you couldn't get elsewhere so, on a one-off visit, I'd say don't have the tapas! (Sorry Troutina.)
    Oh I thought it was great how you could have a little bit of everything on the menu! I've only been once though, so would like to try something else from the starter menu- and had the rosti for my main, so would also like to try another main course!
    Gutted they've taken off the churros from the menu

I stand corrected Troutina! The last time I had tapas there was a long time ago and it was a greek style tapas with houmous, olives, sundried tomato etc. (It sticks in my mind because it said for 2 to share and I was convinced I could manage it, how wrong I was!)

Don't worry, the churros will be back I'm sure!

So I went to Terre a Terre on Friday night - they have a special offer on at the moment: either three courses from a restricted menu or tapas for 2 with a carafe of wine for £30. We went for the tapas - and it was amazing.

The platter had (if I can remember it all)... grilled tofu skewers with mango salsa, mushroom rissole thingies with peppers and cannaloni beans, corncakes with guacamole, some little patties made with a cous cous thing with ratatouille, garlic bread, an amazing cumin dip with deep fried tortillas and soba noodle salad with tamari tofu and wasabi cashews. There was a choice of wine, we had Sangiovese, and it wasn't bad for a house wine. We had tamari toasted seeds for a nibble whilst we waited, and took home a box of rum truffles for dessert. So I'm going to join the chorus and say DO have the tapas - and have it soon while they have their offer on!

I had lunch in Infinity cafe yesterday - every time I go there, I wonder why I bother. It took them nearly forty minutes to make a sandwich, and the lettuce in it hadn't even been washed. *sigh* When will I learn?

And last night we headed up to V-Bites for the first time after going to the cinema, only to find it was closed for a private 40th birthday party. But I have to say, it looked dire - dingy and a bit run down, crammed in between the public bogs, with their Christmas lights still up but with the bulbs starting to go. It didn't look at all like the kind of place I'd go to have a meal, or even a cup of tea and a slice of cake...

Give it another go at some point, it's better inside than out! I wish they'd take those christmas lights down.

The winter opening hours are Monday-Friday 10:30-17:00
    Saturday-Sunday 9:30-17:00, they're only open in the evenings for private bookings at the moment. Hopefully they'll start opening again in the evenings soonish.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    I had lunch in Infinity cafe yesterday - every time I go there, I wonder why I bother. It took them nearly forty minutes to make a sandwich, and the lettuce in it hadn't even been washed. *sigh* When will I learn?
    Oh no! It's my favourite reliable place to eat! I go there pretty much everytime I'm in Brighton, I really have to force myself to try other places!

I stopped eating at Infinity Cafe when they changed from having the specials ready to serve. I ate there twice after that but had to wait 30+ minutes for my food (which is no fun when I've just popped in for a quick bite and am on my own). If I have time to wait for my food I'd rather be somewhere like Terre A Terre or Food For Friends.
    I go to Aloka or Iydea now.

We went to the Infinity caff last time we were in Brighton and I didn't think it was tooooo slow.

I have yet to make it to Iydea, and don't think I even know about Aloka, will have to look back through the thread.

Maybe they have improved, however if I'm in town and need some lunch I want my food in my hand pretty quickly unless I've got someone to talk to or the food is particularly worth waiting for.

In Iydea they serve you what you'd like from the counter, it used to be my favourite after Infinity cafe changed. Aloka is self service and my new favourite lunch spot these days. It's also my first stop for take away cake now.

Am feeling another trip to Brighton coming on!

I expect the speed depends what else is going on there. I'm sure it wasn't particularly fast but I suppose making the stuff freshly has something to be said for it, if they wash the lettuce that is?

I love Iydea! They don't have a huge range of vegan main options, but plenty of cake!

Have you been to Aloka yet Troutina? They usually have wonderful vegan cupcakes. What I also like is that the cake changes - Infinity has more range than Iydea but if you buy cake often you have soon tried all the ones they do. I wish they would do a 'guest' cake flavour every now and again.

From Facebook regarding the George;

Robin Coward 18 March at 17:51 Reply
    Hello friends of the George.

This is just a quick message to let you know that even though Steve and the team have left the George, the events they set up are continuing.

The pub remains Vegetarian/Vegan and will shortly be refurbished.

Every THURSDAY, there is OPEN MIC NIGHT -
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=58009671440
    Please join this group if you're musically minded . . .

Every SUNDAY, there is QUIZ NIGHT -
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4824172861
    Please join this group if you're quizzically minded!

Thanks to Steve and co. for getting the pub back on track and I believe new manager Ben has some good things in store for the place!

Take it easy - hope to see some of you soon,

Robin (Open Mic Man)

Great news, thanks Risker.

That's very much at odds with the reports on other forums, though (including people who were regulars and/or work at the George) - so will be interesting to hear what people think if they go there.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Have you been to Aloka yet Troutina? They usually have wonderful vegan cupcakes. What I also like is that the cake changes - Infinity has more range than Iydea but if you buy cake often you have soon tried all the ones they do. I wish they would do a 'guest' cake flavour every now and again.
    No I've never tried Aloka! Is it a couple of doors down from Iydea?
    What kind of food do they have?

No it's almost opposite Terre A Terre. It's a self serve buffet and you pay by weight, really nice mix of healthy and less healthy food. Main reviews from me here (opening hours may not be accurate anymore) and here but do a search of this thread for more as I've mentioned it quite a bit.

Quote Marrers View Post
    No it's almost opposite Terre A Terre. It's a self serve buffet and you pay by weight, really nice mix of healthy and less healthy food. Main reviews from me here (opening hours may not be accurate anymore) and here but do a search of this thread for more as I've mentioned it quite a bit.
    Ah yes I remember the place now. Am in Brighton for the Eco Fayre this afternoon so may try and pop down, it sounds really good!

JC

Hello Brighton-dwellers
    I'm planning a weekend in Brighton in a couple of months time, and i wondered if any of you have any suggestions for places to visit, places to stay, and any particularly good vegan places to eat (does anywhere do raw??)
    Thanks!

sup, y'all.

Just wrote a new post on my blog, and it's Brighton-centric! Aren't I marvellous?

http://j.mp/9ncYqn

Mousee!!

Aloka's evening a la carte raw menu starts up again this thursday.
    kitchen closes 9.30 now

Following on from bryzee's poor recent experience of The George which I read about on his blog (link above) I have just read this (part of a review by this blogger).
    Unfortunately The George has decided that they don't really care about vegans any more. They've been taken over by local pub chain Indigo Leisure and given a new manager who certainly isn't interested in the food side of things. He's explained that he wants to move away from veganism as he doesn't want people coming into his pub, ordering food and not drinking alcohol...vegans, apparently, don't drink enough. He's planning on focusing on the drinks side of things just like all the 100's of other pubs and bars all over Brighton.

So firstly they're not going to be getting any vegan substitutes for things any more, that means no Cheezly, no Redwoods bacon, no Fry's burgers, no vegan sour cream, no vegan ice cream, no vegan cream and no vegan mayonnaise. Secondly it seems to mean that they're going to be using Quorn sausages and labelling them as vegan and thirdly it means no more of my awesome vegan cakes!
    Last edited by Marrers; Apr 7th, 2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: to remove colour & bold emphasis since quorn sausages no longer marked as vegan

Fail. I hope nobody goes there.

Pants about the George... Despite its ups and more downs over the years I have always gone in and eaten there, mostly because its a veggie pub, and that's a rare thing.

I've been in twice since the recent changes, they have taken off the (v) next to the quorn sausages dishes, so they must have been told by an angry vegan!! Or maybe they just worked out that quorn ain't vegan

The food I've had in there recently has been ok/nice, but its rubbish that they don't do fry's burgers anymore, this was one of the reasons that I used to find myself going in there.. And not having any of the vegan substitutes is very rubbish.

Its a shame because as well as the change in vegan availability for food, its also got a lot of potential to be a really cool pub, but it lacks character and atmosphere.. Wonder if they'll improve this?

oh well, I'll still be going in there for now, they still seemed to have a fair amount of vegan options when I last went in a few weeks ago
    x x

Mousee!!

the royal sovereign does a very fine sunday lunch.check it out. they have vegan food durung the week too. havnt had a chance to check it out during the week yet

this is the chef who was running the earth and stars up until recently so hes moved his opperations over.

Quote yo-yo View Post
    . . . mostly because its a veggie pub, and that's a rare thing.
    I thought some of the drinks weren't veggie. Are they still marking the wines which are vegan on the blackboard?

Quote seamus View Post
    the royal sovereign . . . this is the chef who was running the earth and stars up until recently so he's moved his opperations over.
    I wonder if that means the Earth & Stars is no longer a good place for vegans - anyone know?

I popped in to The George today and spoke to the new chef Malcolm. He says he will definitely be doing vegan food as he is well aware that around 40% of their customers are vegan.

They will remain a veggie pub. They are not 'moving away from' catering for vegans, they are moving away from meat and dairy substitues (though he did say he would still have vegan mayo) and concentrating on actually cooking. I think that is good news.

He is self employed and has been hired by the new management to handle the food side of things. They are closing on Sunday for 2-3 weeks to install a new kitchen and will reopen with a new menu of fresh cooked food such as home-made sausages and tapas dishes. He is not veggie himself so is welcoming feedback and suggestions on his steep learning curve. He seemed like a nice genuine bloke so let's give him a chance and not write off The George yet.
    Last edited by Marrers; Apr 8th, 2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: fix typo

I forgot to say there is a new manager starting at The George soon (Mark I think). At the moment the wine listed on the blackboard doesn't include info on which are vegan.
    They are changing all the pumps and will have lots of ales. We need to make sure they realise how important it is to know what beers and wines are vegan and label them as such.

Thanks for the research Marrers - must say I have found the messages about the George (not just here) a bit confusing up until now!

If they're going to have home-made vegan food, as opposed to bought-in, that's good news isn't it?